Expats stuck in a time warp

JJGreen

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I find the OP's post a little ambiguous and I had to read it a few times to interpret.  However, it's interesting and I have a couple of opinions (loads really but it's too long a topic to cover easily) based on a long experience in the country. The first is that many people want to switch off when they arrive in the Kingdom. That's half the country's attraction and going off radar can be appealing too. But, deep down, I also believe that another underlying reason for not expanding one's horizons is that the country doesn't want you to. It's subliminal and stealth like and can get the better of even those that wouldn't normally succumb.

Call me a conspiracist, or it could just be the heat!

I only realized it fully when I returned back to the UK and have spent the last couple of years playing catchup which has been refreshing.

On 9/28/2016 at 6:50 AM, bojo said:

Personally I find the OP's post a little ambiguous and I had to read it a few times to interpret.  However, it's interesting and I have a couple of opinions (loads really but it's too long a topic to cover easily) based on a long experience in the country. The first is that many people want to switch off when they arrive in the Kingdom. That's half the country's attraction and going off radar can be appealing too. But, deep down, I also believe that another underlying reason for not expanding one's horizons is that the country doesn't want you to. It's subliminal and stealth like and can get the better of even those that wouldn't normally succumb.

Call me a conspiracist, or it could just be the heat!

I only realized it fully when I returned back to the UK and have spent the last couple of years playing catchup which has been refreshing.

What are you talking about ? catching up with what ? The great British Bake Off, or some new religion, more PC rubbish perhaps, better news maybe. You don't have to travel when you are connected to the Internet, information at your finger tips. What do people want to switch off from, eating ? breathing ? worrying  how to pay the mortgage, immigration, being stabbed in the street. Horizons are caused by the curvature of the earth. 

• 2 months later...

To the original poster-Why are you the person who dictates how people live their lives? How arrogant can you be? You live your life the way you want and others will do the same. Ignore these people if it doesn't please you.

How do you know these people haven't tried these things you mention and they just don't like them? You don't. You know nothing about how all the expats have assimilated. Have you spoken to every expat? Or did you just see some tourists and assume they are expats living here?

This is one of the most uninformed, judgmental, arrogant posts I have read on here. 

On 9/25/2016 at 10:09 AM, JJGreen said:

or maybe harking back to a time from their youth when they perceived things were better.

Yeah you caught me guilty only its not perceived its a fact. If you think sorry perceive things as being better today get out of your cocoon look at the world and watch some unfiltered unbiased (if you can find any) media. I just have to look back at the job I retired from. I had dignity there a name not a number good wages (the lowest wages today are about the same as when I retired over 2 decades ago) benefits, fun fellows to work with it was a dream. When they offered me $50,000 to walk through the door I even hesitated I loved my job. Today in the same job your a automaton. We had a old saying years ago "Your still wet behind the ears" Get a towel. These kind of post raise my ire. After you reach a couple thousand more posts get back to us Junior. Geeze no wonder the world is going to H in a hand basket.

Edited by elgordo38

28 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

To the original poster-Why are you the person who dictates how people live their lives? How arrogant can you be? You live your life the way you want and others will do the same. Ignore these people if it doesn't please you.

How do you know these people haven't tried these things you mention and they just don't like them? You don't. You know nothing about how all the expats have assimilated. Have you spoken to every expat? Or did you just see some tourists and assume they are expats living here?

This is one of the most uninformed, judgmental, arrogant posts I have read on here. 

Spot on Global Guy. I think the poster has been assimilated by Carrot Top in the states. It is truly the height of arrogance geeze what happened to proper upbringing. I know we live in a diverse world but this guy goes way beyond diverse. 

Just now, overherebc said:

Jumped in the time machine and clicked for Pattaya 4017.

Got out to go for a beer and in the first bar there was a young guy, who had got lost in a time warp, talking about

Skip to post one.

Geeze is the English language dying out and replaced by gibberish???

Didn't know Geeze could speak english, I thought they honked.

You bring such joy into my life now I know the world is doomed. 

10 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

You bring such joy into my life now I know the world is doomed. 

Only my opinion, remember that, but I thought that OP was typical of younger guys who still believe they will never have a bad back, painful joints etc etc and just don't understand they will be the same sooner than they think.

The following came from medieval times, I don't believe it actually happened, but the idea applies.

3 princes met 3 ghosts in the woods and were told the following by the ghosts.

As you are now so once were we.

As we are now so you shall be.

PS. I don't believe in ghosts.

Maybe as some people get older they realise that taking life seriously is one of the biggest mistakes that anyone can make.

Humour comes in many forms and should a part of everyones life.

There is absolutely no reason to get serious about the way other people live their lives and it's quite possible to talk about it without putting them down and taking the proverbial.

On 9/25/2016 at 4:07 PM, transam said:

Time and Tide stops for no man....Or lady for that matter....:huh:

Why I remain so hansum is one of life's mysteries.......:giggle:

Is that also why you are a good singer as well as being so handsome Trans?:cheesy:

Edited by possum1931
addaed emotican

On 10/7/2016 at 2:32 PM, Andrew C said:

I think that happens to everyone once they reach a certain age. You just stop learning and cling to old ideas and beliefs. Most expats are middle-aged or older, so that may be the reason for the "stagnation"

good post btw

It isn't stagnation, older people have learnt life's lessons, younger people are still learning. The biggest lesson that takes years of experience to learn is that nothing really matters. Nothing is important, yesterdays tragedies will become just a memory, joy is fleeting, your accomplishments,like your failures change nothing, ideas and opinions only reflect the Zeitgeist of the time and change like the seasons, yesterdays truths are today's lies, Yesterdays kings and philosophers are today's corpses.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:52 AM, giddyup said:

Words from the guru on how to live our lives. If I want to wear bell-bottoms and listen to KC and the Sunshine Band, I will.

Thats the way, aha aha, I like it, aha aha

On 23/12/2016 at 10:38 AM, thehelmsman said:

Who goes back 2 1/2 mos. and drags out this topic to discuss?? When this happens I always figure it's a person with dual identities.

I think it's just a sign of a lack of interesting threads that divide opinion. Green had value in that respect.

On 10/7/2016 at 2:32 PM, Andrew C said:

I think that happens to everyone once they reach a certain age. You just stop learning and cling to old ideas and beliefs. Most expats are middle-aged or older, so that may be the reason for the "stagnation"

good post btw

I would sooner ruminate/stagnate on the past then as a 18 year old today wonder what the future  held for me. I wish I had a time machine and you and I could join hands and do a Alice In Wonderland trip. All IT equipment computers, mobiles, Apps to be left behind. 

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

I always figure it's a person with dual identities.

You got me. I am trying to break away from my thinking of my glorious childhood 10 cent movies 5 cent comics. The came adulthood I had my pick of 4 jobs most of the time I had a house, car, 2 trailers and a 50 acre fun property. Finally came retirement and the company gave me a $50,000 check when I walked through the door at age 55 plus my pension and benefits. If I am not around 10 years from now send me an email c/o www.heaven.com and tell me how things are on planet earth. I am sure robots running the world will allow you this one small vice. 

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

You got me. I am trying to break away from my thinking of my glorious childhood 10 cent movies 5 cent comics. The came adulthood I had my pick of 4 jobs most of the time I had a house, car, 2 trailers and a 50 acre fun property. Finally came retirement and the company gave me a $50,000 check when I walked through the door at age 55 plus my pension and benefits. If I am not around 10 years from now send me an email c/o www.heaven.com and tell me how things are on planet earth. I am sure robots running the world will allow you this one small vice. 

Wrong author.