AIS Fiber Install

arkom

Three months ago AIS Fiber had a booth setup in our moo ban for people to sign up so I decided to register.  Got a call from them confirming that they will come and install, however when they came the technician said that they haven't installed lines or splitters yet, so I asked them why they set up a booth to have people signup.  Gave the usual we don't know response and was told someone will call me.  

About a month goes by and still no call back from them, so I called them for an update and no they said they it is available now.  I tell them that I have never seen anyone from AIS come and run any lines, but they insist that it is available and guarantee that it can be installed and asked if I wanted to sign up again, I was still a bit skeptical but they insisted it was 100% available so I tired again. 

Installers came and again tell me that there are still no lines or splitters installed, I sorta already knew this would happen and  asked why am I getting the runaround?  They told me someone will call me back, this time, I get a call a from them and they still insist they have it but too many people have signed up so I can not get it.  I tell them that the technicians said something completely different and that there are no line or splitters yet, but she still insisted it's available and needed to wait, asked how long replied don't know.  

Wondering if anyone is having similar experiences with them.

Edited by arkom

19 minutes ago, sulasno said:

Perhaps I should wait for AIS to install first?

Definitely.  Partly because (in my experience) the stability of AIS Fibre was diabolical for the first couple of weeks.  Even now it's not good.  Rarely go a night without a disconnect.

AIS Fibre is also (in my experience) double NATted.  It took some effort to get all my applications working with it.

Are you able to check with any neighbors to see if anyone currently has AIS Fiber installed? Many moo baans have very active LINE groups where everything, including internet options are discussed. IS this a new moo baan? Are there any other ISPs installed there? Did you note any contact names when they set up in your moo baan? Maybe follow up with them? 

Had AIS 50/10 installed today for our apartment building, even though it is obviously not just a "home"  they supplied everything advertised in the 888 Baht package, plus an extra WiFi router for free so we could get decent coverage throughout the building.

We could have had the installation done a day after the reps came around selling the offer, they happily pointed out their box on a pole around 80m down the street, so we knew they were ready to connect customers.

We are in Warin Chamrap on the south side of Ubon Ratchathani.

So got a call from AIS and they confirmed what I thought, they have not run any fiber lines in our moo ban yet. Was told that they will be start to expand the service area and run fiber lines in the next couple weeks and expect to be finished by end on the month.

They rescheduled installation again to next month when they expect t finish so guess we'll see what happens.

To answer mtls2005, moo ban is relatively new, about 2 years but we do have TOT, True and 3BB. Have talked to the niti (village manager) and told me AIS had contacted them to come in and have already said yes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Had AIS 50/10 installed today for our apartment building, even though it is obviously not just a "home"  they supplied everything advertised in the 888 Baht package, plus an extra WiFi router for free so we could get decent coverage throughout the building.

If you've got the same kit as I have, it's not so you can get decent coverage throughout the building.

They've probably given you a horrible, large, clunky, unreliable, Chinese Zyxel box because it's very cheap.  However, it doesn't support the (less congested) 5 GHz wifi band which supports faster data transfer rates (albeit with a shorter range).  So, to provide 5 GHz wifi they piggyback a second router off the Zyxel box*.

With their configuration, I was unable to get torrents to work, so I just put the extra router back in its box.

What they should have done is provide a single router which has all the required functionality, but that would have cost them more.

Incidentally, if you have any questions about the Zyxel box, don't bother contacting Zyxel support.  They simply don't reply.  And the latest version of the firmware on their website is older than that with the box supplied by AIS.

What with the double-NATing issue, unreliable connectivity** (3 disconnects in half an hour yesterday at 5 a.m.), and speeds about half what are promised, I'd have been better off sticking with my rock solid, but slower TOT connection.

*I haven't checked, but the Zyxel box only supports IEEE 802.11n.  The extra box might cover the newer and better 802.11ac, which is now the norm.

** To add insult to injury, when the connection glitches, the Zyxel box loses wifi connectivity, so I can't reset it remotely, and have physically to turn it on and off.  It also takes ages to restart.

If your moobaan is large, like mine around 750 houses, they will run a trunk line and junction boxes around the main sois first....then start doing the individual residence hookups.   From those junction boxes up on the poles the will run the fiber to your house.    Just to grab a picture off google to show you what the junction box will look like....includes a loop of fiber cable on both sides.   The boxes they  put in my moobaan can each connect 7 individual residence lines and they are spaced apart every one to two hundred meters.  Actually there are 7 connection points in each box as 1 connection is taken-up by the connection to the trunk line.

From that junction box they run individual fiber lines to your residence which can be hundreds of meters away as fiber has very, very little power loss over long distance....not like xDSL/DOCSIS individual lines.   Heck, an individual DOCSIS (a.k.a., cable internet) feed from the trunk line to home can only  be around 150 meters max and generally they don't like going over 100 meters which can necessitate the trunk line being pretty close to your home.   When AIS hooked up my 50/10 plan the individual fiber run from the trunk line was approx 230 meters.

So, if you moobaan is large watch for them to put in a trunk line first; if it's not...say something like 50 homes concentrated over a few blocks in a small area then maybe they will just connect individual lines to a trunk line already right outside of  your moobaan.   Then again running a trunk line into a small moobaan/area is probably not too hard and fast for them to do.  

And don't go looking for "AIS" on any junction boxes....I know none of the many AIS junction boxes around my moobaan say AIS...they just have numbering on them that probably represents the the boxes node number in then networks.  And don't be surprised to already see boxes/loops like below already in your area/moobaan as lots of fiber has went up on line over the last few years and some may even be multi-pair telephone/xDSL trunk  lines instead of fiber, but usually the junction box is "round" for phone/xdsl trunk lines instead of rectangular for fiber trunk lines.

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

If you've got the same kit as I have, it's not so you can get decent coverage throughout the building.

They've probably given you a horrible, large, clunky, unreliable, Chinese Zyxel box because it's very cheap.  However, it doesn't support the (less congested) 5 GHz wifi band which supports faster data transfer rates (albeit with a shorter range).  So, to provide 5 GHz wifi they piggyback a second router off the Zyxel box*.

With my AIS 50/10 fibre install (all the way to the home) along with the AIS-provided primary Hauwei 2.4Ghz band only router, AIS included a free dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz)  Edimax 801.11AC router as shown at below AIS webpage.  I expect they do that since the primary router provided is only a 2.4GHz 801.11n router and some people want/need to use the 5GHz band.

Snapshots from AIS Webpage

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

AIS webline to picture/tech specs of  free daul band router

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/acc_dualband.html

I have even taken the free Edimax router out of the box to use as I really don't need 5GHz plus two of my three computers only support 2.4Ghz/are not 802.11AC capable.  I have the AIS-provided Hauwei router servicing my upstairs and have an ethernet connection from it to another router (an ASUS 2.4Ghz) downstairs (special ethernet line between the 1st and 2nd stories)....this setup gives me strong signal coverage on both stories.   I doubt use of the 5Ghz router would would help signal coverage in my two story home with thick concrete walls and floors since the 5Ghz frequency has less obstruction penetrating capability than 2.4GHz as lower frequencies have greater obstruction penetrating capability than higher frequencies.

They've probably given you a horrible, large, clunky, unreliable, Chinese Zyxel box because it's very cheap.

In recent installs it's been a dual-band (2.4/5) Edimax AP, but in repeater mode, so it only repeats the Huawei (HG8245H: GPON modem/router/WiFi) 2.4 signal. The AIS firmware seems to be restrictive re: using it as an AP? But it works fine for many applications. I've actually seen higher speedtest results via WiFi (53/12) than wired. And we haven't seen any issues re: torrents.

The double-NAT issue is identified prior to entering in to a contract so that shouldn't be an issue? If your applications can't work with this then don't use the service? I've enabled the free THDDNS service in several installs and it works fine; actually a bit easier to set up than expected. I'm not sure double-NAT leads to more or fewer disconnects?

I think I'd sort out the basic service issue(s) regarding speed, performance, disconnects, then move on to sorting out your WLAN requirements and issues?

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

I expect they do that since the primary router provided is only a 2.4GHz 801.11n router and some people want/need to use the 5GHz band.

No, it's because they're too cheapskate to provide a primary router (as you describe it) which supports the 5 GHz band plus 801.11ac (with fallback to previous specs.).  They don't care that the kit they provide clutters up the consumer's home, or that it and the resulting configuration are what are technically referred to as "a pile of unreliable doo-doo".

I also think it's dishonest that AIS doesn't make it clear that you're going to get two crappy routers when you sign up, rather than the one crappy router that provides full functionality (which is what I'd expected).

Oh, how I miss TOT!

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

With their configuration, I was unable to get torrents to work, so I just put the extra router back in its box.

What they should have done is provide a single router which has all the required functionality, but that would have cost them more.

Incidentally, if you have any questions about the Zyxel box, don't bother contacting Zyxel support.  They simply don't reply.  And the latest version of the firmware on their website is older than that with the box supplied by AIS.

What with the double-NATing issue, unreliable connectivity** (3 disconnects in half an hour yesterday at 5 a.m.), and speeds about half what are promised, I'd have been better off sticking with my rock solid, but slower TOT connection.

*I haven't checked, but the Zyxel box only supports IEEE 802.11n.  The extra box might cover the newer and better 802.11ac, which is now the norm.

** To add insult to injury, when the connection glitches, the Zyxel box loses wifi connectivity, so I can't reset it remotely, and have physically to turn it on and off.  It also takes ages to restart.

The extra box is in fact a 802.11ac access point as you speculated.  I found that it didn't give as good of coverage in the house as the Asus 802.11ac router that I already had but so I replaced it with the Asus.  But AIS's extra (cheap) 802.11ac router turned out to be useful to me anyway because it can be reconfigured as an 802.11ac Wifi Bridge (essentially turning it into a Wifi adapter that be used to connect up to 5 devices to 802.11ac via it's ethenet jacks).  So far it is working quite well as a bridge.

Edited by suzannegoh

52 minutes ago, Oxx said:

No, it's because they're too cheapskate to provide a primary router (as you describe it) which supports the 5 GHz band plus 801.11ac (with fallback to previous specs.).  They don't care that the kit they provide clutters up the consumer's home, or that it and the resulting configuration are what are technically referred to as "a pile of unreliable doo-doo".

I also think it's dishonest that AIS doesn't make it clear that you're going to get two crappy routers when you sign up, rather than the one crappy router that provides full functionality (which is what I'd expected).

Oh, how I miss TOT!

I'm not so sure about that being dishonest.  Initially I didn't particularly want their (cheap) 802.11ac router and the Playbox (which turns out to be an AdroidTV box similar to ones that cost about 2000 baht at computer stores) but they are free with a 1 yr contract and I subsequently found uses for those things. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

In recent installs it's been a dual-band (2.4/5) Edimax AP, but in repeater mode, so it only repeats the Huawei (HG8245H: GPON modem/router/WiFi) 2.4 signal. The AIS firmware seems to be restrictive re: using it as an AP? But it works fine for many applications. I've actually seen higher speedtest results via WiFi (53/12) than wired. And we haven't seen any issues re: torrents.

You're right that the Edimax AP is setup that way by AIS but I was able to use an Asus 802.11ac router in it's place and to reconfigure the Edimax to operate as a wireless bridge.

I notice that those Edimax AP's come with fast ethernet LAN ports, not gigabit. Not to rubbish them because of that - many cheap ac devices have that hinderance - but it does make the "450 Mbps" claimed ac speeds rather moot when any connection to the outside world is limited to 100Mbps.

Oh, I don't think it's dishonest in the least that AIS issues a primary router at no charge (that most other ISPs also do) and also give you a second free router (that most other ISP do "not" do).  And just because the primary router provided is a 2.4Ghz router only and is not an expensive router I don't see that as dishonest either as other ISPs do the same thing.   For the great majority of folks any kind of router will satisfy their needs, but for others they will always want a higher-end router, one made by a different manufacturer, etc.   

Now AIS provides details on their plans in English and Thai.  Can't same the same from looking at the TOT fiber webpage...predominately Thai only with a little bit English mixed in---even when clicking their English language setting....pretty much like True now.  True use to do a good job in making available a lot of their webpage and advertisements in English and Thai, but for the last few years they have really greatly cut back on webpage/advertisements in English...pretty much Thai only with some English mixed in.   And these type of advertisements can cause big communications disconnects/misunderstandings/customer complaints among non-Thai speaking folks.

But hey, the country's language is Thai  with little concern for English language proficiency no matter what the govt propaganda says about expanding the teaching of English...that's why Thailand rates very low on English language proficiency....#62 according to this Wikipedia article....but they are possibly #1 on Thai language proficiency.   It's Thailand's decision; I can live with that and adapt accordingly.

13 minutes ago, sulasno said:

Will my old router work?

26d9670eaae5b919d01df3525c42c11c.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Sure...if you run an ethernet connection from the AIS provided router to your old router.   But no, you can not have the incoming AIS fibre/VDSL line run directly to your old router.

Just a note about buying Accessories off the AIS Fibre website which is actually just links to the AIS Store where you can buy a variety of other stuff, from making two buys (Cash on Delivery) it couldn't be easier.   Both orders arrived within 48 hours of placing the order.   And you don't even have to open an AIS Store account to place the order or to track the item.  You'll also get SMSs, emails on the delivery status and a call in the morning from the delivery guy to ensure you will be home and confirm your address.  

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Sure...if you run an ethernet connection from the AIS provided router to your old router.   But no, you can not have the incoming AIS fibre/VDSL line run directly to your old router.

That's not necessarily a disadvantage, there are some advantages to running two subnets.

We got a Huawei HG8245H GPON Terminal/2.4 GHz router which happily does half the rooms, the Edimax BR-6208AC Dual Band router is connected via a LAN cable already in place and covers the the rest of the building.

The cable termination has a couple of loops as you cannot bend fibre cable, wouldn't look so good inside a home.

This ancient Linksys is happily running off LAN2 of the new GPON terminal and our CCTV is happily on the network via old faithful, it has also given us our own private SSID.

IMG_20160928_142311.jpg

18 hours ago, Pib said:

I see as of 28 Sep 16 (today) AIS Fibre has some new pricing...also now includes a 100/10 PowerHome plan where before today 50/10 was their highest speed PowerHome plan.  And don't confuse their PowerHome plans with their PowerPro plans that go all the way up to 1000/200.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

Capture.JPG

What is "AIS Serenade"?

Even after reading http://www.ais.co.th/serenade/how-to-be-serenade.aspx?language=en I'm still not sure.  Is the B699 on the chart a supplement you can add (only to the 50/10 package) for mobile data?

15 minutes ago, sulasno said:

Ais subscribers who are part of serenade pay 699 instead of 888 for the 50/10 package

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Aha.  Thanks!  As usual, I had it backwards.

17 hours ago, sulasno said:

Ais subscribers who are part of serenade pay 699 instead of 888 for the 50/10 package

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Yes, ~ 748 baht with VAT. (I'm not 100% sure if that is for the first 12 months, or forever? I think it is forever.)

You can view your account details on line, and there are many payment options.

AFAIK, you can only have one AIS Fiber account associated with an AIS mobile phone account. I tried to get a second install, in the same physical address, but was required to produce a second AIS mobile account. At forst it was approved with a single AIS mobile account, but they pushed back and I didn't try to negotiate.

You can buy up to a more expensive package, but cannot downgrade - for the term of the contract. I wish they offered a Serenade discount on the 100/10 package.

They also have a free DynDNS service, which is required for some applications.