Is this allowed? Drama emerges when celebrity monk photographed carrying his daughter

Jonathan Fairfield

Is this allowed? Drama emerges when celebrity monk photographed carrying his daughter

By Coconuts Bangkok 

header-monk.jpg

BANGKOK:-- TV singer Thassapak “Bie” Chii and his actress wife, Sumontip “Gubgib” Chii, found themselves at the center of netizen hatred yesterday after Gubgib posted a picture of her husband, who is temporarily ordained, holding their daughter.

Gubgib wrote on her Instagram: “Came to pay respects to my monk, but have to put a wig on first! Don’t want people confusing the baby and the monk. Hahahahaha.”

After seeing this picture, many netizens discussed on whether or not it was appropriate for a monk to hold a little girl, since it is deemed to be a serious offense for a monk to be touched by a woman.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/26/allowed-drama-emerges-when-celebrity-monk-photographed-carrying-his-daughter

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-26

And how many little girls who are to young to know go up and touch a monk?

The farce here is the way people will just sign up on a temporary subscription, many of them married men, probably sneak home in the night for a bit of hows your farther, or even worse to the home of their Mea Noi.

He's not even a real monk. 

People really do love to act holier than thou. It's a very ugly and fake trait. Especially when corruption is so widely accepted here and so many people partake in it. 

Buddhism here seems to be nothing more than a good luck charm. 

"After seeing this picture, many netizens discussed on whether or not it was appropriate for a monk to hold a little girl, since it is deemed to be a serious offense for a monk to be touched by a woman."

The issue here is not about a monk touching a woman. It's about people who cannot or will not distinguish between a child and a grown woman. How many times do we see someone claiming that an 8 year-old is dressing provocatively? This is a case of adults sexualizing a child and blaming the child. This is the justification a pedophile uses for molesting a child.

Don't blame the monk in this case. Look at yourself and ask: "Why am I viewing this child as an adult?"

Edited by jaltsc

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us,

to see ourselves as ithers see us,

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,

An' foolish notion.

Robert Burns

Isn't it amazing how many, in every religion, who complain about things not being right are less than perfect practitioners themselves ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

The monk obviously knows nothing about Thailand or Thai-style Buddhism. Or maybe he does and wants to make a statement of protest. Or maybe he wants media publicity because he is a failing actor.  There could be lots of reasons for this. The first mistake any foreigner makes when coming to Thailand is to think monks actually follow their vows. I tried to respect them when I first got here but I've seen the truth. Another day another monk going through the motions.

Edited by Alive

Many Thais really do have to distinguish between what's sexual and what's affection. The whole idea of pecking your gf on the lips or cheek before you go to work is not sexual. It's affection. If Thailand is a conservative culture, that's fine. Up to them. But don't confuse sex with affection, and you'll have to think of another reason why you think something is inappropriate.

As for young kids dressing in short skirts, wearing make up and crop tops, that totally is sexualising a child. But let's not discuss things. Let's just continue with the same pattern. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

The monk obviously knows nothing about Thailand or Thai-style Buddhism. Or maybe he does and wants to make a statement of protest. Or maybe he wants media publicity because he is a failing actor.  There could be lots of reasons for this. The first mistake any foreigner makes when coming to Thailand is to think monks actually follow their vows. I tried to respect them when I first got here but I've seen the truth. Another day another monk going through the motions.

I wasn't planning on going there and I still have reservations. But I totally empathise with Alive's comments above.

My real, more deep-seated feelings, if expressed, would probably have me banned from this forum!

Edited by Moonlover

People with nothing better to complain about.

It is his baby daughter. She is a many many years away from being a woman, she is an infant.

They should turn their attention to the creepy monk in Hua Hin that was making so many advances towards my gf that she had to stop going to that temple.

Not being a hypocrite Jonathan. However, I seem to recall you saying on a very recent post we expats shouldn't complain about things in Thailand??

Old adage I suppose - what's good for the Goose is good for the Gander !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people in Thailand need to take a good grip on reality and forget all the mumbo-jumbo nonsense regarding Buddhism in Thailand.

What the majority of Thai people practice / believe / pay for,  is so far removed from the teachings of Lord Buddha that it's even related - other than by name.

surely the general population here have realized that the Buddhist religion rules are just for show. surely the way the monks carry on their rules are just for show as well.

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing. Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
3. I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct. Kāmesumicchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.
5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness. Surāmerayamajjapamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.[8]

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I wasn't planning on going there and I still have reservations. But I totally empathise with Alive's comments above.

My real, more deep-seated feelings, if expressed, would probably have me banned from this forum!

We all thank you for your heroic self-control.  :wai:

Edited by Fookhaht