Outrage after two transgender women refused entry at Hong Kong International Airport

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird story.

Denying entry based on evidence of them being sex workers is defensible.

Denying entry because of the particulars of surgery for transgender people and/or only based on transgender status is a violation of human rights. 

Agreed.  I think the fact that an attorney spoke for them adds to the mystery.  I don't know too many tourists that simply get bounced whose attorney speaks to the press on their behalf.

I'd give a nickel to see what came up on the screen when the IO's ran their passports.  They have an extensive travel history, apparently.  Perhaps they were followed around by stories of counterfeit Gucci's, gem thefts, tagging historical landmarks, or some other nefarious activities.   Edit: Being Hong Kong, they may have just been photographed in a protest outside a Chinese embassy somewhere.  

I'm not feeling too bad about wildly speculating because the OP and linked article are so sparse on the details.

Edited by impulse

9 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Gender Dysphoria is a term they don't like as it is a mental disorder, according to the American Psychiatric Association. 

Believe the current effort is to unwind that association.  The medical community made it up and it was ok for a while until the stigmatized said it made them feel more stigmatized. 

25 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Believe the current effort is to unwind that association.  The medical community made it up and it was ok for a while until the stigmatized said it made them feel more stigmatized. 

Go back to historical roots from the Greeks to present days. Eunuchs they shall be...

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

Agreed.  I think the fact that an attorney spoke for them adds to the mystery.  I don't know too many tourists that simply get bounced whose attorney speaks to the press on their behalf.

I'd give a nickel to see what came up on the screen when the IO's ran their passports.  They have an extensive travel history, apparently.  Perhaps they were followed around by stories of counterfeit Gucci's, gem thefts, tagging historical landmarks, or some other nefarious activities.   Edit: Being Hong Kong, they may have just been photographed in a protest outside a Chinese embassy somewhere.  

I'm not feeling too bad about wildly speculating because the OP and linked article are so sparse on the details.

While we're at it, speculating, that is, it could be that the two transgender women (TWs) arrived in Hong Kong with the intention of causing an "outrage", pre-arranged with the Transgender Resource Centre and their lawyer, to create some publicity for this so-called rights group. This could be the reason why the TWs were able to get hold of a lawyer and get their story into the papers, ie create an "outrage", so quickly. Stage-managed news publicity event.

HK Imm. is very well aware of what goes on in Wanchai and other areas. Vice workers from many countries (Thailand, Phil's,VN and even Columbia). What's not mentioned is other factors such as frequency and number of past, short visits by these 2. The transgender declaration form is kinda strange though. I have witnessed them block real women who were suspected sex-workers as well. They were dressed shall we say um... provocatively compared to others in line. (Up to monkey-biz, and not very bright to boot). If I had to guess, something tells me these 2 tranny darlings were not dressed conservatively either. How often do you see a Thai ladyboy dressing down and behaving low-profile...(again, not very bright considering their ultimate goal).

4 hours ago, Katipo said:

“did not satisfy the purpose of their holiday” .... I suspect this is because the vast majority of ladyboys travelling to other countries are doing so to engage in sex work. I would like to know the particulars of this case. For example, I've seen people asked to prove they have enough money to support themselves for the duration of their stay. Upon not being able to show it, they are refused entry. Things such as having the correct visa, proof of hotel bookings and onward travel are also common requirements.

which is not a valid reason at all to be refused entry just on the hunch they might later work illegally without being permitted to do so.

second, the fact that it might be "sex work" has nothing to do with anything, my opinion is that the government should stay far away from sex and from what happens behind curtains.

it's either illegal employment/business activity or not, period.

Actually it's a whole non-event, many people are denied entry to many countries for many reasons, it just happens these two couldn't or wouldn't commit either M or F or gave conflicting information on the arrival card -  so problem belongs them, no one else.  

Edited by Artisi

3 hours ago, RawboneFunksta said:

This has nothing to do with what their passports say and everything to do with the way Thai ladyboys are perceived. Singapore immigration has done similar things. An assumption/Prejudice is made/formed that all Ladyboys are hookers and that their reason for entering a country is to solicit business. No proof needed. Guilty.

It is indeed a violation of human rights

Imagine a farang being refused entry to Thailand because an assumption was made that he was going to have sex with hookers which is against the law.

Because this happened to ladyboys the moronic in the closet bigots will just make jokes.

How much of your own money would you care to bet that they weren't sex workers....thought so.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird story.

Denying entry because of the particulars of surgery for transgender people and/or only based on transgender status is a violation of human rights. 

Beeing able to enter a country is not a human right. A country is free to decide who can get a VISA for whatever reason they please.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's your problem that you don't know the proper terms for transgender people. It's not rocket science. Get educated. Bigotry and ignorance isn't cute. 

No he is quite right born with a penis means he is a man if he gets dressed up as a woman he is still A MAN  if he cuts his Penis off he is a MAN WITHOUT A PENIS they will never be women 

LETS KEEP IT REAL 

Everyone gets excited when they don't have all the details. I'd bet there is much more to the story. As has been mentioned,  there can be many reasons including how they were dressed and how much shopping money they had. A couple thousand baht doesn't allow much shopping.

Transgender women, actually. 

30296294-01.jpg

Exactly, Hong Kong should apologise to the ladies. Bigoted Asia it's time to grow up, especially Burma. Out with the old and in with the new. My image is of 3 lovely girls in Burma who daily have to put up with bigoted, offensive comments.

"I am what I am."

There's no pretending.

47 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

So how would a hermaphrodite be labeled then.

They are labelled as they factually are hermaphrodite. Though their passport would label them as the gender that they identify as. 

At birth the doctors do all sorts of tests and give them the gender that they most biologicaly fit, that gender is put on their birth certificate. 

If they have ovaries, usually a female. no ovaries, usually a male. 

Edited by greenchair
add something

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is a weird story.

As is having to use 'Mrs', 'Her', 'She' to describe someone who is clearly a bloke simply because he now walks like Dick Emery...

Common sence is one thing; Enforced deception by some western Govts for the sake of politcal correctness is quite another. 

Edited by evadgib

18 minutes ago, evadgib said:

As is having to use 'Mrs', 'Her', 'She' to describe someone who is clearly a bloke simply because he now walks like Dick Emery!

Common sence is one thing; Enforced deception by Govts for the sake of politcal correctness is another. 

lol

"victim claimed immigration and customs officers behaved “like animals’’"

Interesting because that is exactly how I think when I am walking around Pattaya, and get accosted by a ladyboy who apparently thinks he has right to put his hands on me.

I bet the two people could not answer any of the questions such as:  what hotel are you staying at?  what shopping district do you plan to visit?  What sights do you plan to see?  I bet they didn't have much traveling money, assuming that is a criteria for a tourist to show if asked to show means.   The officials probably thought it was sounding like a sex for business trip.

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

They're men, why should they be classified as anything else?

Because they do not regard themselves as men.

Why does it bother you so much if someone wishes to be addressed by the pronoun or classified in a manner that they feel matches their gender identity? 

Edited by Bluespunk

46 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

"victim claimed immigration and customs officers behaved “like animals’’"

Interesting because that is exactly how I think when I am walking around Pattaya, and get accosted by a ladyboy who apparently thinks he has right to put his hands on me.

Yeah because all of those kinds of people are all alike. I bet you love it when people talk bigoted garbage about whatever your identities are.