Allardyce loses job as England manager after newspaper sting 

webfact

Allardyce loses job as England manager after newspaper sting 
ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Sam Allardyce lost his job as England manager on Tuesday after one match and just 67 days in charge, paying the price for damaging comments to undercover reporters that were deemed "inappropriate" by the English Football Association.

British newspaper The Daily Telegraph published video of Allardyce appearing to offer advice on how to sidestep an outlawed player transfer practice and also to negotiate a 400,000-pound ($519,000) public-speaking contract while talking to reporters posing as businessmen.

The FA acted swiftly, holding emergency talks with Allardyce in London before announcing the end of his short-lived tenure by mutual consent.

"In light of the media allegations that we've seen," FA chief executive Martin Glenn said, "we've concluded — and Sam's agreed — that his behavior has been inappropriate and frankly not what is expected of an England manager."

Asked about how Allardyce had reacted, Glenn added: "I know personally that he is deeply, deeply upset and deeply regrets the error of judgement, but I also think that he understands why The FA has had to take this tough decision."

The 61-year-old Allardyce was hired to his dream job on July 22 and had a contract through 2018. He is the shortest-serving England manager.

"He accepts he made a significant error of judgment and has apologised," the FA said in a statement. "However, due to the serious nature of his actions, the FA and Allardyce have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

"This is not a decision that was taken lightly but the FA's priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football," the statement continued. "The manager of the England men's senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times."

Allardyce said he was "deeply disappointed" with the FA's decision.

"Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need the FA's full approval," Allardyce said, "I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment."

Gareth Southgate, the manager of England's under-21 side, will take charge of the senior team's next four matches — against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland and Spain — while the FA searches for a new coach. After opening World Cup qualifying with a victory in Slovakia, Englandplays Malta on Oct. 8 and Slovenia on Oct. 11.

The Telegraph published its undercover investigation in its Tuesday edition, under the front-page headline: "England manager for sale."

Allardyce met people he reportedly thought were representatives of an Asian firm. In a grainy, edited video, he is recorded as saying it was "not a problem" to circumvent FA rules that stop third parties from owning the economic rights of players. FIFA has banned third-party ownership as a threat to the game's integrity because investors force transfers to make a profit.

"You can still get around it," the former Sunderland and West Ham manager said in the recording. "I mean obviously the big money's here."

Allardyce told the undercover reporters that his predecessor Roy Hodgson sent players "all to sleep." Allardyce also mimicked Hodgson's speech impediment.

He also questioned why Prince William, who is president of the FA, did not appear at last week's London launch of the 2020 European Championship. Wembley Stadium will host the semifinals and final of the tournament.

"It would have been nice if he'd have turned up but he obviously had more, much busier things on," Allardyce said in the recording.

FA chairman Greg Clarke, who held talks with Allardyce alongside Glenn, said the manager's comments left his position "untenable."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-28

just proves this guy has not got a brain, any sane person in this position would think "hold on a minute, something fishy going on here" but not this clown, all he could see was money, bet his wife is really pissed off now, dole queue for you my son, unemployable now.on 3 million a year and still wanted more 

I've read numerous reports on this but I still can't see what he actually did wrong. It was a sting, which is a pretty shabby form of entrapment - why were they after him? He was just mouthing off about something, not actually doing it. And what's wrong with a public speaking deal?

Seems this is about nothing more than an issue of 'setting a good example' because nowadays everyone has to be so squeaky clean they're no longer human. Sam made it to the top, but he's still an ordinary working class bloke. The world is so up itself nowadays there's no room for old-school characters anymore. Sad.

Edited by ddavidovsky

No big surprise, big Sam has quite a chequered past.  No tears from me as I didn't think he was the right choice anyway. The problem is that with so few English managers these days the choice of a national is very limited.  Wenger was offered it before and he would have been a much better choice.  In the meantime they should look at managers of English clubs no matter where they come from.

Agree Sam was always the wrong guy for the job. Managing England is going to be all about psychology and promoting self-confidence in the players. It's not about tactics so much as looking good. No coincidence that the best managers are those who are likely to feature on the cover of GQ - like Klopp, Guardiola or Mourinho. Beckham is the obvious man for the job. Sam was the polar opposite. I still don't know what he did wrong, but at least he's now been spared the inevitable humiliation of failure.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

No big surprise, big Sam has quite a chequered past.  No tears from me as I didn't think he was the right choice anyway. The problem is that with so few English managers these days the choice of a national is very limited.  Wenger was offered it before and he would have been a much better choice.  In the meantime they should look at managers of English clubs no matter where they come from.

Wenger - wasn't he described as "an expert in failure"?

Seems the right choice for England team manager then.

9 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

I've read numerous reports on this but I still can't see what he actually did wrong. It was a sting, which is a pretty shabby form of entrapment - why were they after him? He was just mouthing off about something, not actually doing it. And what's wrong with a public speaking deal?

Seems this is about nothing more than an issue of 'setting a good example' because nowadays everyone has to be so squeaky clean they're no longer human. Sam made it to the top, but he's still an ordinary working class bloke. The world is so up itself nowadays there's no room for old-school characters anymore. Sad.

You'll get a better understanding of it by reading the original Daily Telegraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/exclusive-eight-premier-league-managers-took-transfer-bungs-clai/

4 hours ago, Xircal said:

You'll get a better understanding of it by reading the original Daily Telegraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/exclusive-eight-premier-league-managers-took-transfer-bungs-clai/

Thanks. Still don't get it though. The managers-taking-bungs exposé is separate to the Allardyce issue. Can't for the life of me see exactly what Allardyce did wrong. Dodgy attitude, maybe, but that's not wrongdoing. Seems like it's just a thought-crime.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Thanks. Still don't get it though. The managers-taking-bungs exposé is separate to the Allardyce issue. Can't for the life of me see exactly what Allardyce did wrong. Dodgy attitude, maybe, but that's not wrongdoing. Seems like it's just a thought-crime.

Questions arise when a man earning £3 million a year attempts to do a £400k deal with a ficticious Far East company just so that he can have a bigger slice of the cake. It's pure greed in anyone's language.

But match fixing is what it's all about really. Moving star players to other clubs so as to ensure one club loses or wins is against the rules.

He also has business interests in 19 other companies one of which has Wayne Rooney and goalkeeper Joe Hart as his business partners. That kind of thing raises eyebrows at the FA since it constitutes a conflict of interest.

33 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Questions arise when a man earning £3 million a year attempts to do a £400k deal with a ficticious Far East company just so that he can have a bigger slice of the cake. It's pure greed in anyone's language.

But match fixing is what it's all about really. Moving star players to other clubs so as to ensure one club loses or wins is against the rules.

He also has business interests in 19 other companies one of which has Wayne Rooney and goalkeeper Joe Hart as his business partners. That kind of thing raises eyebrows at the FA since it constitutes a conflict of interest.

According to the OP, it was a public-speaking contract. Nothing wrong in that at all. It wasn't something illegal or underhand. An England manager is a celebrity - people always throw money at celebrities - all the big names earn money from other sources - advertising, punditry, opening village fetes or whatever.

Conflict of interest? I haven't seen anyone making that accusation, not least the FA, who have surely known all along about the things he has a hand in - it's never been a problem.

Match-fixing and illegal movement of players are heavier issues but I don't see any evidence that he did such things, and, again, no one is claiming that he did.

Am I missing something? He was just mouthing off about the topic - because everybody surely knows it happens. That's apparently all he's done. Seems like the outrage brigade have leaped too quickly on his case.

Disappointed in Sam, reckon he would have been alright as England Manager but bit greedy and caught out. Was on an Etihad flight in business class few years back from Abu-Dhabi to Manchester, big Sam and his Mrs, seemed really nice couple and had a quip with him, he was alright. Will be intresting to see where all this will now lead, most big team managers will be sh a tting themselves at the moment as they have all been at it over last few years, just Sam was daft enough to get caught and betrayed by a confidant.

Only reason Harry Rednapp never got the job before Wodgson is that Harry's Mrs said there wasn't enough bungs in it Arryie... plus she didn't fancy leaving Sandbanks and moving to the $ h itty midlands lol, so I say give Harry a chance, he never copped for the Tax dodge in Monaco (was funds for the dog he said) so Harry is clean, C'mon Harry!!

9 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

According to the OP, it was a public-speaking contract. Nothing wrong in that at all. It wasn't something illegal or underhand. An England manager is a celebrity - people always throw money at celebrities - all the big names earn money from other sources - advertising, punditry, opening village fetes or whatever.

Conflict of interest? I haven't seen anyone making that accusation, not least the FA, who have surely known all along about the things he has a hand in - it's never been a problem.

Match-fixing and illegal movement of players are heavier issues but I don't see any evidence that he did such things, and, again, no one is claiming that he did.

Am I missing something? He was just mouthing off about the topic - because everybody surely knows it happens. That's apparently all he's done. Seems like the outrage brigade have leaped too quickly on his case.

Are you missing something you ask? Seriously?

Did you read this bit in the OP by any chance?:

British newspaper The Daily Telegraph published video of Allardyce appearing to offer advice on how to sidestep an outlawed player transfer practice

The word "outlawed" should have grabbed your attention.

As for the public speaking contract that was part of the entrapment. Having lured him to a meeting he was presented with an opportunity to make some cash on the side or something along those lines. Any bona fide manager would have stood up and walked out right there and then. The fact that he didn't only serves to expose him as somebody without scruples who was willing to bend the rules for his own benefit.

You don't understand a conflict of interest either? How can a manager objectively select a team when he's simultaneously in business with two of his squad?

All the evidence points to wrongdoing on Allardyce's part and purely as a means of feathering his own nest at someone else's expense.

The Press doesn't usually waste their time and money investigating innocent people. There's nothing in it for them and it certainly won't increase readership which in turn translates to attracting advertising revenue.

Allerdyce is talking entrapment but the essence of the defence of Entrapment / Agent Provocateur is to show that the accused did something they would not normally have done because of trickery or other objectionable conduct.

He knew what was on offer and was right in there because of greed. It doesn't matter he thought they were businessmen as he didn't refuse or walk away from what was proposed, he didn't even object.

On 9/28/2016 at 9:32 AM, ddavidovsky said:

I think the fact that he himself admits he has done wrong, is a sure sign of guilt.

8 hours ago, Xircal said:

Are you missing something you ask? Seriously?

Did you read this bit in the OP by any chance?:

The word "outlawed" should have grabbed your attention.

As for the public speaking contract that was part of the entrapment. Having lured him to a meeting he was presented with an opportunity to make some cash on the side or something along those lines. Any bona fide manager would have stood up and walked out right there and then. The fact that he didn't only serves to expose him as somebody without scruples who was willing to bend the rules for his own benefit.

You don't understand a conflict of interest either? How can a manager objectively select a team when he's simultaneously in business with two of his squad?

All the evidence points to wrongdoing on Allardyce's part and purely as a means of feathering his own nest at someone else's expense.

The Press doesn't usually waste their time and money investigating innocent people. There's nothing in it for them and it certainly won't increase readership which in turn translates to attracting advertising revenue.

I'm not fooled by sensationalist reporting. "Appeared to" is what it said. That means nothing. He just bloated out some stuff that he knows is happening in the industry. They twisted that into 'giving advice', or rather 'potentially giving advice' and fuelling the scurrilous, totally unsubstantiated assumption  that he was being paid to give some talk about breaking the rules. It wasn't like that at all. He actually insisted that he would have to clear the public speaking deal with the FA. You don't think the England manager would give a talk advocating and explaining how to break the rules? Get real. More likely, the purpose of his talk was to draw attention to these things. Unfortunately for him, Allardyce is not articulate enough to explain himself properly.

You're insisting that he was 'bending the rules'. But I'm not clear what rules he was actually bending - I mean what he was actually doing. He never did anything wrong, never incriminated himself. He just said some stuff in his usual forthright manner. He had a dig at a few people but it was meant to be a private conversation.

Conflict of interest, I repeat, has never been cited as the problem, neither by the media, nor by the FA. Seems like you've just pulled that one of a hat to support your case.

And you're reduced to defending the integrity of the press? Are you really that desperate to prove Allardyce actually did something wrong? That undermines your entire position.

Admit it, this is just another PC witchhunt. Allardyce is supposed to be an 'ambassador to the sport' blah blah blah. He was expected to express outrage, as everyone has to nowadays, at the dirty dealings that go on, but instead he showed a worldly-wise attitude. It's all nuance based on words and manner. That's it and that's all. He wasn't politically correct enough, which brings me back to my original point: the whole country has gone up itself.

Edited by ddavidovsky

7 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

I'm not fooled by sensationalist reporting. "Appeared to" is what it said. That means nothing. He just bloated out some stuff that he knows is happening in the industry. They twisted that into 'giving advice', or rather 'potentially giving advice' and fuelling the scurrilous, totally unsubstantiated assumption  that he was being paid to give some talk about breaking the rules. It wasn't like that at all. He actually insisted that he would have to clear the public speaking deal with the FA. You don't think the England manager would give a talk advocating and explaining how to break the rules? Get real. More likely, the purpose of his talk was to draw attention to these things. Unfortunately for him, Allardyce is not articulate enough to explain himself properly.

You're insisting that he was 'bending the rules'. But I'm not clear what rules he was actually bending - I mean what he was actually doing. He never did anything wrong, never incriminated himself. He just said some stuff in his usual forthright manner. He had a dig at a few people but it was meant to be a private conversation.

Conflict of interest, I repeat, has never been cited as the problem, neither by the media, nor by the FA. Seems like you've just pulled that one of a hat to support your case.

And you're reduced to defending the integrity of the press? Are you really that desperate to prove Allardyce actually did something wrong? That undermines your entire position.

Admit it, this is just another PC witchhunt. Allardyce is supposed to be an 'ambassador to the sport' blah blah blah. He was expected to express outrage, as everyone has to nowadays, at the dirty dealings that go on, but instead he showed a worldly-wise attitude. It's all nuance based on words and manner. That's it and that's all. He wasn't politically correct enough, which brings me back to my original point: the whole country has gone up itself.

Look, his job for which he was amply rewarded to the tune of £3 million a year was England manager. When you take on a job like that you become the face of English football. There can be no rumours of arranging third party ownership deals which are banned by the FA flying around. He has to be squeaky clean otherwise his behaviour raises questions over the integrity of the English side.

As for the public speaking offer, he should have refused the offer at the outset. His job is to train the English side to prepare them for the coming season not skip off to the other side of the world performing public speaking for third parties.

He got the job he always wanted but couldn't supress his desire to line his own pockets when the opportunity he thought was there arose. His own avarice was ultimately his undoing and he only has himself to blame for the outcome.