Na Jomtien demolitions

prk888

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my perception after eating and chatting down there today is that long-time businesses like SY and Ton Haad have accepted the inevitable but are being realistically businesslike and will almost certainly use  their beach fronts for movable furniture (tables, chairs and umbrellas etc) thus staying within the letter of the law, ie no illegal structures & encroachment on the beach.    SY are currently removing their erstwhile restaurant concrete floors to no doubt expose a beach again. 

The smaller  businesses (exclude Sea Falcon maybe) still  indicate they are hanging in there until the end.  

Drifters on Saturday at about 1830 had 23 customers eating drinking and enjoying the sometime obscured sunset and heavy rains.  Certainly will be missed by many.  I am told they also plan to move opposite (east) into their shop-houses so who knows  we may still be able to sit on the waters edge with a beer and Mon's pizza

3 hours ago, prk888 said:

my perception after eating and chatting down there today is that long-time businesses like SY and Ton Haad have accepted the inevitable but are being realistically businesslike and will almost certainly use  their beach fronts for movable furniture (tables, chairs and umbrellas etc) thus staying within the letter of the law, ie no illegal structures & encroachment on the beach.    SY are currently removing their erstwhile restaurant concrete floors to no doubt expose a beach again. 

The smaller  businesses (exclude Sea Falcon maybe) still  indicate they are hanging in there until the end.  

Drifters on Saturday at about 1830 had 23 customers eating drinking and enjoying the sometime obscured sunset and heavy rains.  Certainly will be missed by many.  I am told they also plan to move opposite (east) into their shop-houses so who knows  we may still be able to sit on the waters edge with a beer and Mon's pizza

Sad to lose Drifters! Great place to watch the sunset.

I have an unit in the newly built Waters Edge condo. Demolitions have stopped now until the New Year and then will proceed, this was confirmed in a meeting with the authorities some months ago. All premisses will go at least up to the resort on the corner, I did not enquire as to what was happening from there on as it doesnt hold any intrest for me. The beach front will be developed similar to the area near the Marina situated just down the coast.

So SY restaurant, as was, is now all cleared to expose the beach again.  Ton Haad furniture (all movable) is laid out neatly on the beach and eastern side seating being extended. so maybe business as normal  for them but this time within the law (well maybe just about)

It will be interesting if and when and by whom the current  'cleared'  beach actually is eventually cleared of the remaining exposed rebars, rubble and low concreted areas.  

An issue that is of interest to me personally as it is in front of my condo is the beach and the  'village sala'.    This is now falling apart, and along with a rotting aquarium &  rotting kids playground stuff is quite dangerous and the whole once relatively pristine area has been claimed and sadly despoiled by village locals (not visitors) over the recent past.  Wonder if this is categorised as an illegal structure  too.  Hope so.

• 3 weeks later...

the north -western (seaside) area with the turning space has now had plenty of sand strewn over it.  Some steel rusty rebars still exposed sadly.  Sand taken from eastern side so big hole there now.  It will be interesting to see how this whole area develops and who becomes responsible for upkeep.  It could turn out to be a very successful relaxing family picnicking  area although car parking not plentiful.

Ton Haad settling in nicely with eastern restaurant area being properly developed and plenty of furniture on the beach itself.  

No further movement from SY restaurant yet. still just empty sandy area

• 2 weeks later...

SY now has beautified the now-cleared beach and as with Ton Haad has restaurant tables & chairs on beach  ready for customers.  Like Ton Haad maybe accepting the inevitable but with no fixed beach structures involved.  

Sea Falcon relates their on-going negotiations with the Authorities.

Drifters still busy

As my Thai wife says she believes  it will be extremely difficult for the remaining businesses to now be left untouched by the Authorities but TIT as we know

What will 2017 bring and when ?

14 minutes ago, prk888 said:

SY now has beautified the now-cleared beach and as with Ton Haad has restaurant tables & chairs on beach  ready for customers.  Like Ton Haad maybe accepting the inevitable but with no fixed beach structures involved.  

Sea Falcon relates their on-going negotiations with the Authorities.

Drifters still busy

As my Thai wife says she believes  it will be extremely difficult for the remaining businesses to now be left untouched by the Authorities but TIT as we know

What will 2017 bring and when ?

I think there's a lot of uncertainty as to what's going to happen.  The pendulum swings too far from one side to the other here!

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think there's a lot of uncertainty as to what's going to happen.  The pendulum swings too far from one side to the other here!

I totally agree but with the 2 most well established businesses having already bowed to what are in fact Court Orders and with Military might being the driving force (or was it  actually The Whale developers initially !?) what sensible face-saving  options are still available to the others? 

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2016 at 5:43 PM, craigt3365 said:

I totally agree but with the 2 most well established businesses having already bowed to what are in fact Court Orders and with Military might being the driving force (or was it  actually The Whale developers initially !?) what sensible face-saving  options are still available to the others? 

Latest ............... Talking to one of the restaurant owners it appears a  compromise may be in progress and that is that remaining  owners have been given a reprieve until the current high season is over ............... whenever that is.  

Drifters as busy as ever and Deamon Dayz too with lots of sailors launching from there

quite like drifters and tony is a good guy. army seem hell bent on tearing buildings down and getting rid of deck chairs. some places are better off left as they are.

Those things are not deck chairs but torture devices for anyone over 6 feet and they are ugly

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Those Deck Chair things are Thai Disgrace.Who other than destitute would rent one.?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Duhh !  

Destitutes wouldnt spend money they dont have renting deck chairs on Na Jomtien beach sipping a Drifter's cold  beer or eating a Drifters thin crust pizza surely.  

Stay on topic please if possible

On 26/10/2016 at 9:27 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

If the army really are intent on demolishing structures encroaching the beach illegally I look forward to them posting the demolition order for View Talay 7.

There was a lot of legal argument and many of the now owners bought in good faith,  my thoughts are there should be an investigation into it and all the corrupt officials including maybe some judges and those who corrupted them should be in prison, their assets seized and used to compensate the owners of VT7 if it is knocked down or to  compensate the owners of property blighted by VT7.

The court ruled that VT7 was built legally due to it being more than 100 meters from shore line...there was much debate about where the shore line actually is but in the end the court agreed that VT7 was lawfull,same with the Waterfront Condo at Bali hai that is 101 meters from the shore line but has other problems like the building permit not being legally issued,not built to the permit specifications,too close to the road,not enough parking,use of land cut from the hillside etc etc

On 08/11/2016 at 1:39 PM, prk888 said:

So SY restaurant, as was, is now all cleared to expose the beach again.  Ton Haad furniture (all movable) is laid out neatly on the beach and eastern side seating being extended. so maybe business as normal  for them but this time within the law (well maybe just about)

It will be interesting if and when and by whom the current  'cleared'  beach actually is eventually cleared of the remaining exposed rebars, rubble and low concreted areas.  

An issue that is of interest to me personally as it is in front of my condo is the beach and the  'village sala'.    This is now falling apart, and along with a rotting aquarium &  rotting kids playground stuff is quite dangerous and the whole once relatively pristine area has been claimed and sadly despoiled by village locals (not visitors) over the recent past.  Wonder if this is categorised as an illegal structure  too.  Hope so.

the Tessa Baan has removed all the dangerous rotting steelwork thankfully and the beach is gradually being tidied by local businesses but still lots to be done on this area of beach to make it decent again.  The sala does need to be demolished too in my opinion or at least repaired properly.

58 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That it's odd that the condo owners are complaining about the restaurants that were there a long time before them and they were well aware of their existence at the time the condos were built.

If they were 100 years , illegally, before, they gotta go.

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That it's odd that the condo owners are complaining about the restaurants that were there a long time before them and they were well aware of their existence at the time the condos were built.

can't recall any posts saying condo owners on that beachfront were complaining about the restaurants etc.  Help please !

13 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

If they were 100 years , illegally, before, they gotta go.

Not necessarily.

There's a legal principle of adverse possession whereby an occupier of land has right to LLegal title if they have enjoyed free, unencumbered possession for a certain number of years.

Can't recall the exact details as it was covered in my law course in my first year at uni 40 years ago and I've never used it since.

Archived