Two cops dead as trailer ploughs into drugs checkpoint in Ubon

webfact

Two cops dead as trailer ploughs into drugs checkpoint in Ubon

am3.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- Two police officers on duty at a drugs checkpoint in Ubon were mown down when the brakes failed on an 18 wheel truck.

Six cops were in the process of investigating a Honda car when they saw the trailer - laden with sand - careering towards the checkpoint, reported Daily News.

They tried to jump out of the way but two didn't make it and were dragged under the wheels of the trailer and a police patrol pick-up.

Dad at the scene of the accident in Sri Meuang Mai district were the leader of the checkpoint Sema Antrarok and Thaweechai Kunchot.

The driver of the lorry Chukiat Sukkhecharoen, 40, was arrested. He said that his brakes had failed.

Ubon police chiefs who arrived on the scene said that the cops had died doing their duty and both family's would be looked after.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-29

This item is hot on the heel of the item about the cop laid in hospital after been

hit by a car while doing his duty in an intersection, this is another example

of how dangerous and perilous the lives of traffic cops in Thailand are.

Was the checkpoint marked at a due distance to allow the oncoming traffic to stop?

I see many times the police setting up checkpoints without any signal, or signals at 50 meter distance.
A 18-wheeled (old) truck laden with sand need more break distance to be halted safely. 

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Was the checkpoint marked at a due distance to allow the oncoming traffic to stop?

I see many times the police setting up checkpoints without any signal, or signals at 50 meter distance.
A 18-wheeled (old) truck laden with sand need more break distance to be halted safely. 

They should put up a sign "Drug Checkpoint Ahead" about a km up the road. Would save a lot of paperwork.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

They should put up a sign "Drug Checkpoint Ahead" about a km up the road. Would save a lot of paperwork.

A large box at the side of the road with a sign saying please deposit all illegal items here before going to the check point would also help save a lot of time.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Of course not....you mean"slow down,cops checking vehicles for drug smuggling"?

Seems few of the drivers recongize the sound of metal to metal when brakes are applied is a warning that should be taken and the unit shut down until it is repaired.

I tried to explain this one time and got a blank stare and a mumble of farang not good at Thai way of thinking or something to that effect.

3 hours ago, Yoram said:

This item is hot on the heel of the item about the cop laid in hospital after been

But it's not just the lives of traffic cops that are in danger - it's all of our lives that are in danger due to inexperienced drivers, badly maintained vehicles, total disregard for traffic laws, badly loaded/overloaded vehicles, etc. The list goes on and on, and there's no answer to it apart from staying off the road.

18 minutes ago, halloween said:

I was thinking a really good brake mechanic could make a fortune here, or more likely go bust for lack of business.

I took my 1 year old Isuzu to rama 2 service centre due to brake problems I was having,I arrived at reception with the brake pedal touching the floor,to be advised that is normal as Thailand is not the same as other countries,I would not leave untill the took the back wheels off and inspected the brake linings,they found that only  about 10% of the shoe surfaces showed signs of wear,after some adjustment the brakes fine with a full pedal again

it is really unfortunate for the police officers that the brakes of the truck failed at the wrong time leading to fatal accident. of course that information has to be verified because if the brakes were ok then the whole story takes a different turn. RIP the hero officers.

3 hours ago, Yoram said:

it is not explained if the trailer veered upon the driver trying to apply the brakes. yes the police are exposed to all sorts of risks in line of duty.

33 minutes ago, slapout said:

Seems few of the drivers recongize the sound of metal to metal when brakes are applied is a warning that should be taken and the unit shut down until it is repaired.

I tried to explain this one time and got a blank stare and a mumble of farang not good at Thai way of thinking or something to that effect.

different mindset. takes time to sink in if at all.

4 hours ago, Yoram said:

Sadly they only have themselves to blame, if they enforced the law and did their duty them perhaps drivers would be taking more care.

Any driver should know to use the gears  to slow down,

going downhill in 4 or 5th gear then trying to brake on

a curve,is not going to have a good result,that's why

there are so many brake failures,the brakes can be OK

but just too hot,resulting in brake fade,just when you

need them.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Yes they like to set up where you can't see them in advance, Deadly in this case. I think autos and trailers should be safety tested annually after ten years old. I also wish the government would implement and pay for lights on all vehicles as I think it would pay for itself. Also big reflector signs for the back of farm equipment.

21 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes they like to set up where you can't see them in advance, Deadly in this case. I think autos and trailers should be safety tested annually after ten years old. I also wish the government would implement and pay for lights on all vehicles as I think it would pay for itself. Also big reflector signs for the back of farm equipment.

This year compulsory check for autos is 6 years and I've been told next year will be at 5 years old.

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This year compulsory check for autos is 6 years and I've been told next year will be at 5 years old.

Where is this enforced, surely not up here in the jungle where I see 1940s trucks limping down the highway with two plastic chairs behind the dash and no doors. I asked my lady and she said her uncle who has a road construction company and she said he has never had an inspection of any of his old beaters. Maybe in the cities I don't know.

When driving on 'country' roads in Thailand and you see a big truck ahead, then get past quickly and stay well ahead (500m). If you see a big truck behind you, then speed up and stay well ahead (or slow down and let it pass).

Change brake fluid every 18-24 months (moisture) and every now and then check ABS works if you have them (best in the rain).  I bought a car a few years ago and all was good, but the brakes became 'soft' after driving a while, and the ABS didn't work well when I tested it. I took it back to the seller and he said (something like) fluid changed only a year or so ago. I made him change the brake fluid (and bleed). Brakes fine after that - all was good - and lesson learned.

I doubt if the brake fluids/air-system have been changed or checked since they were imported, on most trucks in Thailand.  The older and bigger the truck - the more distance you should give it.

Only this morning I was driving in north east Thailand. And when exiting a bend I was confroned by an 18 wheeler with trailer, on my side of the road  overtaking a motorbike.  With only 100 meters away from certain death,  I had to brake hard and pull off the road. And hope that the pickup truck behind me had good brakes as well.  

Mine was a case of meeting a very bad driving,  but add to this the lack of proper maintenance. Brakes don't fail with proper maintenance, unless you are overweight. This was a very sad loss of life. But this will just continue to happen.