Two cops dead as trailer ploughs into drugs checkpoint in Ubon

webfact

3 hours ago, norbra said:

I took my 1 year old Isuzu to rama 2 service centre due to brake problems I was having,I arrived at reception with the brake pedal touching the floor,to be advised that is normal as Thailand is not the same as other countries,I would not leave untill the took the back wheels off and inspected the brake linings,they found that only  about 10% of the shoe surfaces showed signs of wear,after some adjustment the brakes fine with a full pedal again

Some stories sound so unlikely, this is one of them.  A hydraulic braking system that wasn't leaking and 10% shoe wear and you were able to put the pedal on the floor?  Yes, right.

53 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Some stories sound so unlikely, this is one of them.  A hydraulic braking system that wasn't leaking and 10% shoe wear and you were able to put the pedal on the floor?  Yes, right.

Agreed, hydraulics not leaking but the CONTACT area on each shoe showed only 10% had been in CONTACT with the brake drum

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

Where is this enforced, surely not up here in the jungle where I see 1940s trucks limping down the highway with two plastic chairs behind the dash and no doors. I asked my lady and she said her uncle who has a road construction company and she said he has never had an inspection of any of his old beaters. Maybe in the cities I don't know.

The "vehicle" tests in Thailand are carried out all over the country.
EVERY vehicle need to do this test in order to get a tax ID for the year.
The car dealers that are allowed to do these tests are listed at the car tax department.

But this would not be Thailand if a lot of people don't go to the inspection and pay a bribe when they are cought driving without a tax ID.

test.jpg

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The "vehicle" tests in Thailand are carried out all over the country.
EVERY vehicle need to do this test in order to get a tax ID for the year.
The car dealers that are allowed to do these tests are listed at the car tax department.

But this would not be Thailand if a lot of people don't go to the inspection and pay a bribe when they are cought driving without a tax ID.

test.jpg

I have no reason to doubt you, but I think it may be like many laws, unenforced.

6 hours ago, halloween said:

They should put up a sign "Drug Checkpoint Ahead" about a km up the road. Would save a lot of paperwork.

NOBODY said that the Police need to tell the drivers WHAT they are going to check.

Most checkpoints I see in Thailand are marked well before the actual checkpoint, and traffic is reduced to 1 lane to reduce the speed of the traffic.

BTW, I fully agree with the posters who said that if the Police and Judiciary in Thailand would take their job more serious, a lot of accidents would be avoided.

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I have no reason to doubt you, but I think it may be like many laws, unenforced.

See it as a "second check" for your vehicle.

Sure, as many laws in Thailand it is not enforced.

But I like to drive with a "CAR" that is road worthy.

A few years ago, my car was skidding to the left every time I hit the brakes.
I went several times to the service station, but they could'nt find anything wrong.
A few weeks later I was bound to go to the traffic department for my Tax-ID and I went to the Toyota dealer for the car inspection.

Got my car back with a text in RED saying to fix URGENT my left front brake.
Unequal front brakes (with numbers in Newton/meter).
I went back to my service station and showed the head of the service station the note from Toyota.
Got my car a few hours later with the brake fixed and the apologies for not have detected the error before.

That is worth the 170 Baht at Toyota inspection.

25 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

See it as a "second check" for your vehicle.

Sure, as many laws in Thailand it is not enforced.

But I like to drive with a "CAR" that is road worthy.

A few years ago, my car was skidding to the left every time I hit the brakes.
I went several times to the service station, but they could'nt find anything wrong.
A few weeks later I was bound to go to the traffic department for my Tax-ID and I went to the Toyota dealer for the car inspection.

Got my car back with a text in RED saying to fix URGENT my left front brake.
Unequal front brakes (with numbers in Newton/meter).
I went back to my service station and showed the head of the service station the note from Toyota.
Got my car a few hours later with the brake fixed and the apologies for not have detected the error before.

That is worth the 170 Baht at Toyota inspection.

Yes it is and I also want a safe drive. I have found that Thais don't seem to care much and I hope they are forced to up here, but then I also realize they just can't afford much upkeep. Drive defensively and take care.

Earlier this year, it was reported on TV extracted from the media that the Commander of the RTP had issued an order that impromptu check points were forbidden and that when a checkpoint was deemed necessary it had to be set up with advance warning signs to road users and the point manned by a commissioned officer with the minimum rank of Captain. It worked in my area and the two to three times per week impromptu checkpoints on a road that I use vanished and I have not seen one on that road for months.

6 hours ago, Grubster said:

Where is this enforced, surely not up here in the jungle where I see 1940s trucks limping down the highway with two plastic chairs behind the dash and no doors. I asked my lady and she said her uncle who has a road construction company and she said he has never had an inspection of any of his old beaters. Maybe in the cities I don't know.

Rayong. I went along to the drive through tax booth and was given back my paperwork and informed that I had to get the car checked. Until now/then I was convinced it was 10 years. Car is 6 this year.

When I went for the check I was told six years now and 5 from next year.

I do my own brake checks regularly, pad thickness etc and hands off steering wheel braking on a quiet road etc. Fluid change etc also done so I know it's ok.

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Isn't that EXACTLY what the cops were doing?

Look at the wider picture. Seems to me most understood my comment, I can only assume you didn't, perhaps you just try to find something to argue about.