Brit fisherman reels in the world’s biggest carp weighing 220lbs in Thailand

webfact

IT'S A KEEPER 

Brit fisherman reels in the world’s biggest carp weighing SIXTEEN stone in Thailand

BY JON LOCKETT

brit.jpg

Tim (right) landed the giant fish with simple bait of bread and rice

Image: The SUN/BOURMOUTH NEWS

Tim Webb, 57, landed the enormous Siamese carp after an exhausting 90 minute battle

BAN PONG: -- The fisherman, who owns his own fishery in Thailand, lured the carp onto his line using a simple bait of bread and bran rice before engaging in the gruelling battle.

He said there were a couple of challenging moments when he thought he’d lost out but perseverance paid off in the end.

After being hauled to land, the giant carp tipped the scales at almost 16 stone.

It smashed the previous record for a Siamese carp by over 70lbs.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1878849/brit-fisherman-reels-in-the-worlds-biggest-carp-weighing-sixteen-stone-in-thailand/

-- THE SUN 2016-09-30

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Alive said:

Something silly about this. Owns the fishery and caught the fish in it? No records here in my view. Sure it might show how big a fish can get but nothing natural about this.

He bought the fish then bring it back to release into his own fishery pond. He caught the fish from another fishery pond.

7 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

I'd like to put a big hook through that guys cheek and drive around in my car for a couple hours having him run alongside.  Sick.

You have obviously never heard the screams of lettuces being ripped from the ground.

i took my son to a fishing park. we threw in the rod time after time and within a minute each time had a fish on the line. we reeled in fish after fish and after a while of seeing the fish and their mangled mouths i decided that this was not the type of fishing i really wanted my son to get involved in.  probably wont bother going there again. doubt any one would count a fish caught at a fishing pond/farm as a record catch.

we probably had more fun feeding the big fish at the tiger zoo with fishing rods with no hook.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

For those of us non Brits who are unfamiliar with the modern measurement (stone). The weight of the fish is actually 8912.2 shekels.

For the rest of the English speaking world, 220lbs (sic) is 100kg.

Considering the UK changed to metric in the mid-sixties,  they sure are slow in converting.

I believe he US Senate approved changing to the System Internationale (SI) in the late 1880s.

Catch up guys, this is the 21st century!

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Something silly about this. Owns the fishery and caught the fish in it? No records here in my view. Sure it might show how big a fish can get but nothing natural about this.

"Despite smashing the world record, Tim said he would not submit the claim to the International Game Fish Association as they do not accept records from stocked waters."

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

You have obviously never heard the screams of lettuces being ripped from the ground.

Fish do feel pain, but I eat meat, so I can't complain. On the other hand, I don't seek out the largest most amazing of any species I can find just so i can kill it for sport. Screw that.

23 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Fish do feel pain, but I eat meat, so I can't complain. On the other hand, I don't seek out the largest most amazing of any species I can find just so i can kill it for sport. Screw that.

I eat meat too.  But personally I'm not into torturing animals.  I went 'fishing' once at a park here and left feeling so sad.

Something sad about such a fine specimen of a fish coming to such an end, that's just my opinion, I feel the same about all sorts of hunting just for the enjoyment and satisfaction of humans.

Yes, I do eat meat and fish.....but I would find other means of sustenance were animals allowed to live their lives out to a natural end.....even if that does include them eating each other anyway. 

50 minutes ago, masuk said:

For the rest of the English speaking world, 220lbs (sic) is 100kg.

Considering the UK changed to metric in the mid-sixties,  they sure are slow in converting.

I believe he US Senate approved changing to the System Internationale (SI) in the late 1880s.

Catch up guys, this is the 21st century!

So why do you use Imperial Measures like feet and inches?

And Fahrenheit rather than Celsius.

Gallons rather than litres?

And reverse the date on the calendar - its NOT 9/11 but 11/9 in the rest of the world!