Brit fisherman reels in the world’s biggest carp weighing 220lbs in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, lumply said:

Pathetic

For me and you, yes. Apparently not for him, and there are worse things a guy could be doing in his free time.

-it's not a record, as whatever world association is in charge does not recognize fish caught in stocked waters

-it's not for eating, since apparently they fish was caught alive, bought out and relocated in the guy's own pond. glad for the fish, although it doesn't look so happy in the pictures. maybe I cannot tell carp happiness.

-apparently the guy paid several "thousands of pounds" to take the fish with him. Let's say 40 euros per kilo... wow. at least the maintenance costs should be low.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is still a lot of jealous <deleted> on here,

has he get a permit,

cant own land

cant own a fishery,

wont get a work permit for that, that and the other, <deleted> me give it a rest

john wilson owns and runs a fishery over here, if you have enough money you can do most things here,

36 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

So why do you use Imperial Measures like feet and inches?

And Fahrenheit rather than Celsius.

Gallons rather than litres?

And reverse the date on the calendar - its NOT 9/11 but 11/9 in the rest of the world!

And how many metres was that golf drive :rolleyes:

In fishing we always use pounds ?

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

there is still a lot of jealous <deleted> on here,

has he get a permit,

cant own land

cant own a fishery,

wont get a work permit for that, that and the other, <deleted> me give it a rest

john wilson owns and runs a fishery over here, if you have enough money you can do most things here,

Its not about jealousy, as with most things in life, the debate over this capture is about ethics.

I've done quite a lot of carp fishing in the UK and reporting this fish as any sort of record is a joke. But that's my opinion only.

1 hour ago, UKJASE said:

a great specimen and it looks like it is in great condition.  i hope it managed the journey across to the new fishery ok.

What is the name of the fishery that it was caught on, where is it and how much to fish?

Don't know where it was caught but will endeavour to find out so I can fish there next time but that fish has now been relocated to a pond called Palm Tree  Lagoon in Ratchaburi run by the wonderful  Benny and it's £100+ for a days fishing, they will arrange taxi from bkk if required ?

Oh yeah and that bit about beating the previous worlds  biggest by over 70lb is bull because I've had a 150+ from palm tree along with many other people  including my old fave John Wilson, who fishes there regularly. They also have mekong and arapaimas way over 300lb I've got the t-shirt to prove it  lol. 

IMG_20151205_152429.jpg

Edited by pacman32

26 minutes ago, londoedan said:

Its not about jealousy, as with most things in life, the debate over this capture is about ethics.

I've done quite a lot of carp fishing in the UK and reporting this fish as any sort of record is a joke. But that's my opinion only.

hi mate,

i too was a keen carp angler,

you have missed my point,

i was mentioning the ones who allways when some one says they own a fishery, farm, bar or what ever go on about not being able to do it, cant get a work permit ect,

Great fish well done... and fisheries like this are all over the world. If you want to fish for wild fish.. impossible in Thailand.

I went to a fishery two weeks ago,, i had great fun and these places are real careful with the fish.. fish get inspected... get anti infection spray where they were hooked. The fish is not allowed to brought ashore and pictures taken in the water. Far better care as for instance Bungsamran (still fish there because its close)

Fact is only vegetarians can comment on how bad fishing is.. all others eat meat.. and if you see how those animals are treated.. then fishing is paradise in comparison. 

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

For those of us non Brits who are unfamiliar with the modern measurement (stone). The weight of the fish is actually 8912.2 shekels.

The weight of this fish in terms that all can understand including Thais is 100 kilos, and well done most of the other cynical quotes are just jealous, and a true angler usually fishes for sport and not to eat every fish they catch so it don't matter if its eatable or not.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

For those of us non Brits who are unfamiliar with the modern measurement (stone). The weight of the fish is actually 8912.2 shekels.

Yeah... but if they canned it, how many hogsheads would it fill?

Edited by cruisemonkey

4 hours ago, Smiles said:

He bought the fish then bring it back to release into his own fishery pond. He caught the fish from another fishery pond.

We have people like that here, they pay a quail or pheasant farm to set loose birds they raised and kept in cages for rich and powerful dirtbags like former US Vice President Dick Cheney, who in spite of the coddling managed to shoot his friend in the face rather than a bird. Yup. Halliburton exec, bought and paid for the war in Iraq with the lives of soldiers and civilians, can't even hunt like a man or shoot straight. At least fishing is harmless. So if he wants to be a big shot, let im. Let him have his moment in the sun. It's a nice smiley happy story for a change. It's good for business, good for tourism, and at least it's not another god awful suicide by balcony jump or Thai wife steals everything from farang husband and runs off with Thai boyfriend story. 

2 hours ago, masuk said:

For the rest of the English speaking world, 220lbs (sic) is 100kg.

Considering the UK changed to metric in the mid-sixties,  they sure are slow in converting.

I believe he US Senate approved changing to the System Internationale (SI) in the late 1880s.

Catch up guys, this is the 21st century!

I was thinking exactly the same.... but maybe the article comes from the Flintstones press.....

2 hours ago, masuk said:

For the rest of the English speaking world, 220lbs (sic) is 100kg.

Considering the UK changed to metric in the mid-sixties,  they sure are slow in converting.

I believe he US Senate approved changing to the System Internationale (SI) in the late 1880s.

Catch up guys, this is the 21st century!

Yes, APPROVED.

After approval it takes the capitalist industry to APPLY it.

Well now we are in the  American owned NEW WORLD and the applying will never see the light of day.

But the scientists in the laboratories in the US use the metric system because it is easier to work with.

48 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Tell me it was catch and release.

On the dinner table, the fish would be worth a few hundred dollars- tops.

Swimming around in a commercial sport fishing pond, it's worth 10's of thousands of dollars.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Something sad about such a fine specimen of a fish coming to such an end, that's just my opinion, I feel the same about all sorts of hunting just for the enjoyment and satisfaction of humans.

Yes, I do eat meat and fish.....but I would find other means of sustenance were animals allowed to live their lives out to a natural end.....even if that does include them eating each other anyway. 

The fish is not coming to an end.. its being checked for wounds.. anti bacterial spray is applied and it is released back in the pond. These fish are so expensive killing them after catching would be crazy. The utmost care is taken that the fish does not die. The moment a fish is hooked in those fisheries guides come to assist and to check the fish is being handelend well. 

I had a 140 kg aripaima (300lbs) a week back and i had to be really careful with the fish and they told me not to raise the rod (prevent the fish from jumping and damaging himself or breaking the line) if the fish came up for surface and to ease tension to ease them in not bully them in. 

Its in the best interest of the owner of these fisheries to take super good care of their fish. 

5 hours ago, Alive said:

Something silly about this. Owns the fishery and caught the fish in it? No records here in my view. Sure it might show how big a fish can get but nothing natural about this.

Correct, fishing from lakes full of fed carp is not really a sport, the thrill is winding them in, then you through them back.

There are some beautiful places in the mountain rivers where you can pay to go out for a day and catch them really, also several variety's of huge river fish. Kaeng Krachan is stunning and well worth a visit not far from BK or Hua Hin the locals would be glad to see you as only busy certain times of the year, plus you can keep what you catch, ones enough and they will cook it up for you and your mates.

Just now, kiwikeith said:

Correct, fishing from lakes full of fed carp is not really a sport, the thrill is winding them in, then you through them back.

There are some beautiful places in the mountain rivers where you can pay to go out for a day and catch them really, also several variety's of huge river fish. Kaeng Krachan is stunning and well worth a visit not far from BK or Hua Hin the locals would be glad to see you as only busy certain times of the year, plus you can keep what you catch, ones enough and they will cook it up for you and your mates.

That is a personal preference.. i prefer not to kill those fish after i caught them. Fishing in fisheries is as much a sport (but with higher chances) as fishing in the wild. There are not many places  where you can really fish in the wild. In general bait fishing .. not predator fishing.. is hard to do in nature of Thailand. Predator fishing in krang Katchaeng is not my thing but people i know love going after the giant snakeheads there.

Personally i think there should be a difference in record keeping between pond fish and wild fish. Only compare ponds with ponds.. but I fish for fun.. not to have a bigger fish than others (unless i fish with my dad then I have to beat him) 

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

I eat meat too.  But personally I'm not into torturing animals.  I went 'fishing' once at a park here and left feeling so sad.

If your ancestors thought the same you may not be here, animals have sustained human life even before we came down from the trees, we are animals, no different to lions, crocodiles etc, all you bleeding hearts should try and stop a pride of lions tearing a live animal apart, go on, I dare you. Now, for a nice steak for dinner.

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i took my son to a fishing park. we threw in the rod time after time and within a minute each time had a fish on the line. we reeled in fish after fish and after a while of seeing the fish and their mangled mouths i decided that this was not the type of fishing i really wanted my son to get involved in.  probably wont bother going there again. doubt any one would count a fish caught at a fishing pond/farm as a record catch.

we probably had more fun feeding the big fish at the tiger zoo with fishing rods with no hook.

i thought you were meant to throw in /cast the line not the rod:smile:

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i took my son to a fishing park. we threw in the rod time after time and within a minute each time had a fish on the line. we reeled in fish after fish and after a while of seeing the fish and their mangled mouths i decided that this was not the type of fishing i really wanted my son to get involved in.  probably wont bother going there again. doubt any one would count a fish caught at a fishing pond/farm as a record catch.

we probably had more fun feeding the big fish at the tiger zoo with fishing rods with no hook.

Why did you throw the rod in? As an angler for more than 50 years, am I missing a trick here?

32 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

The poor thing is probably 200 years old. It should have been allowed to live in peace rather than become the rather tough, bony part of thousands of fish'n'chips meals

That thing is getting better food and medical attention than most people in the world.  It's a walking swimming ATM for the owners of its new home.

Edited by impulse