DSI crackdown on fake clothing as Americans demand action

webfact

Cut-price copies of everything will be a thing of the past if the current Thai regime does as it is threatening and signs up to the TransPacific Partnership (TPP).

Not just clothes, but a whole range of pirated stuff costing a fraction of the cost of the genuine article will be outlawed if and when this secretly drafted and negotiated "free trade" deal goes through.  

Computers will no longer arrive already loaded with a free copy of a brand name operating programmes. There will be no more cheap CD's and VCD's and inexpensive generic versions of pills and potions produced by major drugs companies will vanish from pharmacists shelves. 

In its eagerness to enforce copyright laws and usher in TPP, the government should not make the mistake of underestimating the inflationary repercussions and the social hardship which will particularly effect the lives of the poor, sick and elderly.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nothing wrong with copy right..  and yes I download movies. But I can understand people wanting to protect their investment and source of income. Nothing wrong with that if you advertise a products and brand and then others copy that.. that is theft.. 

I can understand it I don't buy the fake stuff because the quality sucks. 

In your country they even send a bill from 10.000 baht to contractors for using a radio while they work (even when they don't have a radio at all!!) That's because bypassers might listen to their radio (which they don't have) and then the contractor has to pay for copyrights because bypassers listen to the music he is playing for them...

I met some very angry contractors because of that ridiculous rule who refused to pay it.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Nike should check their factories after workinghours...Same goes for Honda...they might use their machines to produce something else, who knows? 

Also those companies should check where their B-choice ends up....it's easy to sew a new label in it and sell it as new.

True. A friend of mine had to visit a factory in Bangkok seeking pirated software and came across a load of Made In Germany labels.

9 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Cut-price copies of everything will be a thing of the past if the current Thai regime does as it is threatening and signs up to the TransPacific Partnership (TPP).

Not just clothes, but a whole range of pirated stuff costing a fraction of the cost of the genuine article will be outlawed if and when this secretly drafted and negotiated "free trade" deal goes through.  

Computers will no longer arrive already loaded with a free copy of a brand name operating programmes. There will be no more cheap CD's and VCD's and inexpensive generic versions of pills and potions produced by major drugs companies will vanish from pharmacists shelves. 

In its eagerness to enforce copyright laws and usher in TPP, the government should not make the mistake of underestimating the inflationary repercussions and the social hardship which will particularly effect the lives of the poor, sick and elderly.

Last week i wanted to buy an Apple macbook in a big computershop in a big mall...the salesman offered me to install Apple software plus a copy (unregistered) of Windows so i could use them both.

Oh and the blue pills are on every street in chinatown.

Edited by fruitman

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

In your country they even send a bill from 10.000 baht to contractors for using a radio while they work (even when they don't have a radio at all!!) That's because bypassers might listen to their radio (which they don't have) and then the contractor has to pay for copyrights because bypassers listen to the music he is playing for them...

I met some very angry contractors because of that ridiculous rule who refused to pay it.

And the point being ? been gone from the Netherlands for 10 years. You wont find me defending stupid rules (that is a stupid rule).

But trying to protect your income after you have invested is quite normal. I can understand it that they do it (going after fake items). Just imagine you got a good idea and you brand it put work in it and someone else steals the idea and makes money from it.. not fair when you look at it that way. 

Usually i just go to BKK if i need new jeans.

Making  it a weekend of party and shopping and come home with some new Diesel jeans.

The price of the jeans compared to the ones in Europe makes it a free weekend and some savings left over.

I hope they not raid all the shops otherwise the misses might not let me go anymore.:shock1:

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Those brandnames caused this themselves. I'm pretty sure the fake goods came from the real factories.

Agree!  Probably most of the so-called rip off clothing is coming from the same factories only now the retail buyer does not have to pay off all those middlemen who run the prices up 600% or more.  Same as buying name brand sneakers here at 2000-4000-bt when they are made here or in a neighboring country for a fraction of the price.

Are the Trademark owners having their profit's significantly impacted by the sale of these copies? Would a person who buys a fake Rolex for example really be in the market for a real one? Same with the copy Handbags and scents. Not suggesting  that pirating goods is ok , but wondering about the real financial impact.

Once a year this charade goes on to placate the Yanks and the Europeans! Still don't really know why they bother - the people who buy are never going to be able to afford the real stuff and it certainly won't affect their sales anyway. I think there was a recent UK study that actually showed it had no impact at all. The country which is not a good one to arrive with fakes is France where they can give you heavy fines and confiscate the goods -be warned!

4 hours ago, PumbaBangkok said:

Are the Trademark owners having their profit's significantly impacted by the sale of these copies? Would a person who buys a fake Rolex for example really be in the market for a real one? Same with the copy Handbags and scents. Not suggesting  that pirating goods is ok , but wondering about the real financial impact.

Just ask Bill Gates or Phil Knight just how much pirated goods have impacted their incomes. I could add the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, the titular owner of Rolex, but they don't make public their financials as a non-profit, and non-taxed entity.

By the way, I long ago banned Nike from our household because, well because only dogs just do it.

I'm a marketer's nightmare.

I never buy brand names because that's what you're paying for. So many products available at the same, if not better, quality as the original at a fraction of the price. I'm not interested in "status" or "showing off", only functionality and quality. And, can't these "fat cat" super brands see that buyers of the copies are not in their target market and do, in fact, increase brand awareness for their products when used.

17 hours ago, mike324 said:

hard to believe only 1 shop got caught for fake goods in MBK, when pretty much more than half of the clothing shops are selling fake copies

Only half ? MBK is fake all over and bad quality since that fine jeans shop behind McD on groundfloor closed.

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's just how you look at it, the crocodile brand looking the other way is a nice example. And it seems to be legal.

"No, not counterfeit, it  genuine 'Crocodile of Thailand' brand, what Lacoste mean ?", as the street-vendor once assured me. :biggrin:

On 9/30/2016 at 10:55 AM, Saraburi121 said:

Why does Thailand really care what the US thinks anyway?

They don't give a damn. But they don't want to risk having sanctions imposed.

So nick a few wide boys to keep the US happy and then it's back to business as usual.

On 9/30/2016 at 10:55 AM, Saraburi121 said:

Why does Thailand really care what the US thinks anyway?

They don't give a damn. But they don't want to risk having sanctions imposed.

So nick a few wide boys to keep the US happy and then it's back to business as usual.

Last year I ordered Levi jeans from their website after I returned to the U.S. from Thailand and they were shipped to my house.    I have a brother in law knows who Levi's better than I, finds and trades the older pants on ebay.  

I thought the Levi's looked shabby and on looking, found they were made in Haiti or Jamaica, someplace in that area.   My brother in law looked at the jeans and asked me why I had bought counterfeit Levi's while I was in Thailand, the pants were that bad looking.

I returned them too Levi. 

Edited by radiochaser