Walking Street

billybog

Anyone else hearing chatter about walking Street being closed down beginning in Oct of this year. I have heard rumors for several years now that the large hotel chains wanted to build hotels all along the beach at walking Street, but now their seems to be dates attached with the rumors.  Hope it is not true...but figured it would happen sooner or later due to the value there. heard several years ago that   that was the resonfor the construction of Action Street off Soi baukoaw...was for the bars and go-go's to move into that area.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been talk for a few decades now that the buildings on the westside of beach road that encroach on to the beach are illegal and will be pulled down. but I can not believe they would be replaced by hotels as they would be illegal too...

I was told by a Thai, that a detailed map had been published in Thai media recently,  which buildings on Walking Str. would have to go. He could not give me more info yet  but promised to. It would not surprise me, seeing all these demolitions in various regions going on. Interesting years ahead....for sure...MS>

There are large rumblings all across Pattaya as well as elsewhere In Thailand that times are a changing. Places torn down around town over last few days and I also understand certain "buildings" on the Beach side are about to go likewise. Not  maybe but sure.

I've just read elsewhere than Insomnia have spent 10 Million on improvements recently as well.

As usual the dimwits around town "owning" bars claim its not right its not fair totally ignoring the fact that the buildings shouldn't be there in the first place !

We shall see anyway but looks serious to me

14 hours ago, lor said:

A number of buildings on the beach side have recently had demolition orders posted on walls. Read into this what you will

Ther WS beachside demolition writing has been on the wall for a long time.

...then they just go and build more new walls.

The initial and still existing plan is to create a Cannes-like boulevard; this means that the structures along the beach-side of Walking Street will be removed and the night-attraction-park on the other side of Walking Street will be replaced by posh and high-end branded shops and outlets as well as restaurants and yes.........some 5* hotels will occupy the area between Walking Street and 2nd Road.

The 'boulevard' will end near the Pattaya Marina which is ready to occupy expensive yachts and vessels..........

........and now I'll be dreaming a bit more.

refer to my current thread about Na Jomtien beach demolitions if you will.  Long standing, well established, well patronised beach structures/businesses  are being demolished as i write.  All, I am told, under Pattaya Court Orders

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

There are large rumblings all across Pattaya as well as elsewhere In Thailand that times are a changing. Places torn down around town over last few days and I also understand certain "buildings" on the Beach side are about to go likewise. Not  maybe but sure.

I've just read elsewhere than Insomnia have spent 10 Million on improvements recently as well.

As usual the dimwits around town "owning" bars claim its not right its not fair totally ignoring the fact that the buildings shouldn't be there in the first place !

We shall see anyway but looks serious to me

Insomnia have spent 10 Million on improvements recently as well. :laugh:  Let there daylight and you'll see that it's a smelly hole. equipment is old and used.will you be asking where the tuck invest those millions...

It was a cabinet resolution since 1998 ordered all 101 buildings on the beach side to be demolished. 

Everyone in Pattaya know that they are illegal as they encroach seaside public area. 

Last week Pattaya City officers announced that they will demolish 12 buildings in Walking street. Those 12 were illegal rebuild without permission. 

All of 12 buildings were posted the demolish order for the year. 

In the same way, government are working on improve the area. 

The expert came for research and the results are 4 options. 

There will be a public hearing on Oct., 6th morning at Pattaya city hall. 

In the newspaper, Thansettakij http://www.thansettakij.com/2016/09/01/91690 reported about "pattaya on pier". Referred to the news, the government has an idea to improve man-made area like pier 39, San Francisco at the walking street area. This means all the building on the beach side in walking street will be demolished. 

Beside government has plan to invest in TRAM, loop from north pattaya direct to balihai pier along beach road and second road. Total route is 8 km.

2 hours ago, Stardust314 said:

Insomnia have spent 10 Million on improvements recently as well. :laugh:  Let there daylight and you'll see that it's a smelly hole. equipment is old and used.will you be asking where the tuck invest those millions...

Dont post when pissed mate  !!

I've live in Pattaya since 2002. I don't ever go to Walking Street so whatever they do there will not affect my life. But if Walking Street, which is a major attraction for most if not all tourists that come here, gets torn down you can expect the tourist numbers and accompanying dollars to plummet. Leave it to the Thais to kill the golden goose. Won't be the first time, or the last.

22 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

The initial and still existing plan is to create a Cannes-like boulevard; this means that the structures along the beach-side of Walking Street will be removed and the night-attraction-park on the other side of Walking Street will be replaced by posh and high-end branded shops and outlets as well as restaurants and yes.........some 5* hotels will occupy the area between Walking Street and 2nd Road.

The 'boulevard' will end near the Pattaya Marina which is ready to occupy expensive yachts and vessels..........

........and now I'll be dreaming a bit more.

When are they planning to replace the water?

The comprehensive trend is out with the old, and in with the new!

The tear downs are accelerating and eventually some of the sex industry will take it on the chin.

My guess is Nana Plaza will be the next to go, then sections of walking street.

Perhaps as these old buildings get torn down, that attract the downtrodden, crime may decrease as well.

I will not miss some of the freak shows in and around Walking Street that made the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah famous.

With more single ads accelerating worldwide, the Internet may in time force the closure of many go go clubs/massage parlors with retreating cash flows and increases in taxes. Most currently are nothing like they use to be and some are down right boring and a waste of money.

Let's not forget some of the very same depravity occured just prior to the fall of Rome. 

As I have mentioned many times already- the Government does not like the current entertainment industry and is going after it in many ways- raids; demolishing buildings; taxes; limited hours. Walking Street is its target and it will get rid of the sex industry that is so visible. Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy are also being targeted.  The powers that be do not care if Western tourists do not come to Thailand as they are easily replaced with the Chinese and middle class Thais neither of which are interested in GoGo Bars and nightclubs. All the Western owners are trying to sell out as they know their days are numbered. Many keep saying it won't happen but it is happening as we speak.

On 10/1/2016 at 2:10 AM, Basil B said:

There has been talk for a few decades now that the buildings on the westside of beach road that encroach on to the beach are illegal and will be pulled down. but I can not believe they would be replaced by hotels as they would be illegal too...

Not if they got planning permission they wouldn't. Unlike the illegal places there now.

But it's a troll post so who cares.

On October 1, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Basil B said:

Nothing is legal or illegal till the big dog says so.

If the Thai administration and new tourism minister are serious about cleaning up Thailand's tawdry image as the sex capital of the world, removing this sprawling repository of human garbage in the heart of Sin City would be an impressive start.

One does not know whom to feel most sorry for, the exploited and dehumanised inhabitants of the bars, massage parlours and brothels which line this sordid alley or the mobs of degenerate foreign tourists who flock to the place like mesmerised moths to a candle flame -or perhaps flies to a piece of rotten meat would bed a more appropriate analogy.

However, it would clearly be cruel and counter-productive to throw sex workers and the rest of the Walking Street inhabitants onto the grubby pavements of this notorious thoroughfare with no means of earning a living to support themselves and their families.

Sex workers deserve compassion far more than condemnation  The commendable push to clean up Thailand's infamous red light districts should go hand in hand with bespoke retraining programmes to ensure that those displaced are able to find new jobs offering them a decent living wage. 

With a woman now running the tourism ministry, this should be a major government priority.

56 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

As I have mentioned many times already- the Government does not like the current entertainment industry and is going after it in many ways- raids; demolishing buildings; taxes; limited hours. Walking Street is its target and it will get rid of the sex industry that is so visible. Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy are also being targeted.  The powers that be do not care if Western tourists do not come to Thailand as they are easily replaced with the Chinese and middle class Thais neither of which are interested in GoGo Bars and nightclubs. All the Western owners are trying to sell out as they know their days are numbered. Many keep saying it won't happen but it is happening as we speak.

Nail on the head mate indeed. The first area gone will be Soi 6 because of the clear indication of whats going on with multiple girls in skimpy kits outside. Sure that goes on in a lot of places but never as blatant as the six. Yet still the guys who own these bars parade all their wares on FB. One had the stupidity to put a photograph up claiming Pattaya Pimps with his gang bar managers around a table. I'm thinking for christs sake mate use your noodle. Keep it low key but they never learn. Think they are untouchable.

Walking St though most of it is clearly behind closed doors which is why I dont think it will effect them to that extent. No doubt we'll soon find out.

48 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I take it that in your country the red light district is also promoted internationally, and is located in the center of the city.

Great to see some forward thinking people prepared to close down a blight on Thailand tourism. There is nothing attractive about walking street apart from the occasional woman. Good riddance, cant for the life of me understand why anyone would be unhappy about the Pattaya demolition

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I heard the same from high ranking officials at Thonglor Police that Soi Cowboy is on the list and as well Nana Plaza which is controlled by Lumpuni Police but my guess is it will not happen as to much money goes to the BIB.

Archived