Walking Street

billybog

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An ambulance can access W S by 3 ways. Not necessary to use the sois.

Not sure how you count 3??  I see car access by 4 Sois + the 2 WS extremities.

But these Sois must have controlled  parking for bikes and street vendors I you want cars be able to use them in the evening.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They may be clearing them off W S, but it's not for fire or ambulance access. It's a bit like the volunteer police that are ONLY found on W S, while there are many more touristed areas elsewhere that have never seen a volunteer cop.

OK: How many tourist are there on Walking Street at 10PM?

How many at this same hour at your other tourist areas?

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it rather fascinating that a decrepit dirty street with bars that haven't been renovated for donkey's years is supposed to be the premier attraction of Pattaya. Someone is dreaming.

How that never renovated?? Looks like you didn't went on WS for a very long time! WS in fact is a permanent construction area. There is probably always at least one business being renovated or destroyed or (re)built. Many new businesses opened just this year, taking place of older ones. Right now there are at least 2 demolition areas, there is a new agogo being built, there is a total renovation of the Taurus club and and Lucifer Disco, etc.

Many of WS businesses are less than 2 or 3 years old and very modern places. :)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An ambulance can access W S by 3 ways. Not necessary to use the sois.

I find it rather fascinating that a decrepit dirty street with bars that haven't been renovated for donkey's years is supposed to be the premier attraction of Pattaya. Someone is dreaming.

You must be thinking side sois or something. There are new bars and go go's being built regularly on WS

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, mcfish said:

You must be thinking side sois or something. There are new bars and go go's being built regularly on WS

LOL, so pedantic. with bars that haven't been renovated for donkey's years is correct. I never said that ALL the bars hadn't been renovated. My favourite bar is still the same as 20 years ago. Many other places still the same as 20 years ago.

LOL, so pedantic. with bars that haven't been renovated for donkey's years is correct. I never said that ALL the bars hadn't been renovated. My favourite bar is still the same as 20 years ago. Many other places still the same as 20 years ago.

Not pedantic just facts

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My favourite bar is still the same as 20 years ago.

Many other places still the same as 20 years ago.

Hum... Looks like full exaggeration again...

I try to memorized in my mind what Walking Street looks like nowadays, and fail to see even only 2 or 3 bars who could look same as 10 years ago...

But surely you can give us a few names of these 'many bars 20 years old' as exemple? :smile:

Edited by Pattaya46

47 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hum... Looks like full exaggeration again...

I try to memorized in my mind what Walking Street looks like nowadays, and fail to see even only 2 or 3 bars who could look same as 10 years ago...

But surely you can give us a few names of these 'many bars 20 years old' as exemple? :smile:

If you don't know what the bars looked like 20 years ago, why are you responding as if you do?

Anyone that actually WAS in W S 20 years ago would know which bars I'm talking about.

I'm not engaging in yet another pissing contest, so bye bye.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't know what the bars looked like 20 years ago, why are you responding as if you do?

Anyone that actually WAS in W S 20 years ago would know which bars I'm talking about.

I'm not engaging in yet another pissing contest, so bye bye.

I'm not doubting you but am curious as to which bars have remained the same for the past 20 years.

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know what they looked like 10 years ago, and nearly all were different!, so of course they are different from 20 years ago ;)

Edited by Pattaya46

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I'm not doubting you but am curious as to which bars have remained the same for the past 20 years.

I keep forgetting to look but is Roo bar still there - if it is that has not changed for a lo..........ng time

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I only go back 8 years but Thip, the American Thai owner of BJ3 Bar Beer says that bar has been there over 30 years. It faces Walking on the Soi Diamond island. She said BJ is her brother in law.

On 03/10/2016 at 0:37 PM, Thaidream said:

We can go back and forth on the morality issues; whether girls are being exploited ad infinitum. Everyone has their opinion and experiences.  The facts are that Thailand is trying to clean up its image and many in the Government are completely opposed to places like Walking Street; Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. It is way too visible and attracts the wrong type of tourist per the thinking of certain powers to be.

In addition, the land values of these places makes them unattractive business based upon what could be there and what could be achieved financially. The police cannot protect these places any longer because the police have been neutralized somewhat by other officials who report directly to Bangkok.

Purely economics is working against the  red light districts plus the government recognizes that tourist arrivals and agenda's are changing.  Thailand is seeing and will continue to see a downturn of the Western tourist and increases in Asian tourists as well as domestic tourism by a burgeoning middle class.

I also agree that Soi 6 in Pattaya will be a target area- it is simply too visible and as one poster indicated bar owners/managers putting pics on social media gives the powers a ready beacon on where to start.  

There will still be a nightlife industry in Thailand but it will be much  less visible and not attract tourists in hordes as in the past. Thailand is changing and it wants to become an industralized country and with that- it knows it has to control  all those elements of society that keeps it in a Third World status.

Most of the bar owners I am aware of are selling out if they can and headed for other countries more friendly to their lifestyle. The smart ones know their days are numbered. The others are still drinking beer and posting on facebook.

This seems like a well reasoned post. Thing to bear in mind in these matters is that what will happen will be decided by those in power, not expats nostalgic about the good old days of mongering.

We are just along for the ride, will be interesting to observe though. I would imagine there would have to be Thais that are less than enthralled by the country's reputation for sex tourists, whether they can overcome those profiting from it remains to be seen.

20 hours ago, Don Mega said:

OK. Lucky Star bars 1,2 and 3. The ones behind Lucky Star 3. The bar around the boxing ring had a bit of a renovation a few years ago, but is basically the same, the restaurant along the street from Lucky Star ( the name escapes me ) is as it was when I used to eat there many moons ago. The bar near there that I only used once and don't know the name of is the same. The bar across from the big tree where the katoeys used to hang out is the same, more or less. The collection of bars where Superbaby is look the same on the outside. The bars on the right just before W S. The big restaurant behind Lucky Star is the same, though the colour of the tables may or may not have changed.

That is just off the top of my head. There may be more if I actually look next time I pass by.

No doubt someone will come out and say I'm wrong, but while I did spend a lot of time down there it's possible that some were different, but not my favourites.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK. Lucky Star bars 1,2 and 3. The ones behind Lucky Star 3. The bar around the boxing ring had a bit of a renovation a few years ago, but is basically the same, the restaurant along the street from Lucky Star ( the name escapes me ) is as it was when I used to eat there many moons ago. The bar near there that I only used once and don't know the name of is the same. The bar across from the big tree where the katoeys used to hang out is the same, more or less. The collection of bars where Superbaby is look the same on the outside. The bars on the right just before W S. I haven't been in the Beer Garden, but I expect it's much the same. The big restaurant behind Lucky Star is the same, though the colour of the tables may or may not have changed.

That is just off the top of my head. There may be more if I actually look next time I pass by.

No doubt someone will come out and say I'm wrong, but while I did spend a lot of time down there it's possible that some were different, but not my favourites.

wowzers, ive not heard of most of those places, has the beer garden really been there for 20+ years ?

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

wowzers, ive not heard of most of those places, has the beer garden really been there for 20+ years ?

I was just about to delete that, as thinking about it more like 2000 era. you got in too fast.

The bars that I am referring to existed before Walking Street was a reality; before Bali Hi was made and the jetty was beside the sewage plant ( which didn't exist either ).

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was just about to delete that, as thinking about it more like 2000 era. you got in too fast.

it opened in 2008 so you are only 12 years off.

Edited by Don Mega

TBL your one of the oddest personalities on TV. There are thousands of 20 year old bars in every capital city on the planet and they usually have the best ambience and the same goes in Pattaya. Doesn't automatically make them shity. The new bars don't add much except increased prices

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

This seems like a well reasoned post. Thing to bear in mind in these matters is that what will happen will be decided by those in power, not expats nostalgic about the good old days of mongering.

We are just along for the ride, will be interesting to observe though. I would imagine there would have to be Thais that are less than enthralled by the country's reputation for sex tourists, whether they can overcome those profiting from it remains to be seen.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Mongers will just go to where the girls are, and I have heard that the ones working the Thais scene are more attractive. If they stop that, somehow, though I don't see how they could, mongers will just go where they are welcome. I don't hear that Angeles is planning to shoot itself in the foot any time soon.

The other alternative is that the girls will go on line, and the losers will be those that own the bars ( and we know who they are, don't we!!!!! ).

In a country where bars and girls are in every one horse town, some on here are indulging in wishful fantasy if they think it's going away.

It's all irrelevant anyway. AI and robotics are bringing the next advance in the love doll industry, and every monger will be able to have his very own idol in the wardrobe. I expect the wowsers will be fighting to prevent that too. Fat chance of stopping it though.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's all irrelevant anyway. AI and robotics are bringing the next advance in the love doll industry, and every monger will be able to have his very own idol in the wardrobe. I expect the wowsers will be fighting to prevent that too. Fat chance of stopping it though.

We all ready have these ,   they are called wives .  :jap:

29 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

We all ready have these ,   they are called wives .  :jap:

The new improved version never say no, and never have a headache :biggrin:

I found a site with some great photos from the 70s. One at least appears to be of the street that became W S.

http://pattaya-funtown.com/old_pattaya_pictures_videos/#bwg54/229

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

TBL your one of the oddest personalities on TV. There are thousands of 20 year old bars in every capital city on the planet and they usually have the best ambience and the same goes in Pattaya. Doesn't automatically make them shity. The new bars don't add much except increased prices

Alot of these new bars that replaced the classic style go go's are great if you like the theme park effect : gorillas , moonscapes , prisons 

On 10/18/2016 at 1:38 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

In the end, it doesn't matter. Mongers will just go to where the girls are, ...

With the increasing redevelopment in and around WS, there was the general impression that monger central would simply relocate and spread like a rash around Buakhao and Lengkee. I hear that Holiday Inn have acquired a chunk of land on the south end of Buakhao for their third enterprise in Pattaya so the gentrification of sin city seems to adhere to the same, city wide zoning plans.

Now, where are the 'end of Pattaya' scions when you need one?

I checked out soi BJ last night. Doesn't look like anything is happening with the proposed new mall. Hardly something attractive for tourists to look at in high season. Seems to me that they are trying to drive customers away.

As for the street, plenty of people, with loads of Indians. Many bars doing well. Those little black dresses have improved the girl's dress standards no end.

• 3 weeks later...

Demolition  of Right hand side of Walking St will commence in January. Multiple credible reports across the Media including Pattaya One and property agents

For some reason  cant insert links not sure why still having this problem

Edited by Chivas

50 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Demolition  of Right hand side of Walking St will commence in January. Multiple credible reports across the Media including Pattaya One and property agents

For some reason  cant insert links not sure why still having this problem

Gad. They are going to demolish the premier attraction of Pattaya during high season!!!!!! Are they barking, or is there not going to be a high season?