Walking Street

billybog

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

The better go go bars are doing good business or they were at least last night.
Pull down walking street and what westerner in their right mind would visit Pattaya, families or singles they won't come for the pristine beaches so what's left? The Chinese would be the first to go so basically you would just have bangkok thais and they are Already here

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I think we have gone off track. The talk is only about the removal of illegal businesses over the Beach Side not all of Walking

Edited by Chivas

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking street is always busy from 7pm onwards. The entertainment business generates a lot of money because of the spin off services. If WS closes it will be another nail in the coffin of Pataya in an attempt to create an anodyne, safe space with American Junk Food places and a selection of overpriced mediocre real restaurants staffed by wage slaves and automotoms.  Sitting around drinking looking at pretry, available girls who is an excellent pastime. The P4P industry will die naturally with the creation of good jobs based on good education and opportunities for all under a democratic system of elected governance with the Police and Army acting in their correct roles.  Anyway if the demolition of WS leads to less ME and Indian tourists - who cares? One reason LKM is popular is the lack of'diversity' types. People who think Internet dating for sex have no idea about how good GGS and beer bars actually work. Another benefit from demolishing WS would be less techno-gangsta rap-electro pop- hip hop etc. The WS GGS and Bara have lost their way succumbing to the worst music to come out of the USA and Europe. 

I think we have gone off track. The talk is only about the removal of illegal businesses over the Beach Side not all of Walking

Don't know why so many bothered with an obvious first post from a troll, what 'chatter'? where did you here it, Walking Street will be there for years to come, lived in Pattaya for years and i never heard about big hotel chains wanting to build on WS

Oops

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's far too many people in Pattaya anyway. If the reputation sends them elsewhere, that is a good thing.

I have to ask the obvious question, why are you taking a 5 year old to Pattaya?

The kid was a hypothetical.  I've never had a kid with me anywhere in Thailand.  

My point is that maybe more families would spend their $$$ in some of the areas if they cleaned up the atmosphere.  Plastic dog poop, I can explain.  Dildos and the like?  Not so much.

50 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

This will in no way affect 95% of the residents

in Pattaya and if brings in less drunken trash,

tear the entire place down.   Visited twice six

Years ago. Sad bunch of drunks!!

i must disagree and for those of us who do visit there we are glad you dont little mary ,,,, little mary  55555 says it all

12 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Don't know why so many bothered with an obvious first post from a troll, what 'chatter'? where did you here it, Walking Street will be there for years to come, lived in Pattaya for years and i never heard about big hotel chains wanting to build on WS

The chatter is accurate and up to date. Illegal buildings (not everything else) is on the agenda and if you read an earlier post illegal buildings on Soi 6 have gone in last 24 hours

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Chiang Mai, the most boring tourist city in LOS. It has traffic like Pattaya, and ugly buildings like Pattaya, and broken infrastructure like Pattaya, but it doesn't have a beach, or an island, and it sure don't have any fun.

If you want to see what a Walking St devoid Pattaya will be like, go to C M for a couple of weeks. By then you will be gagging to get out of the place. There's only so many temples that one can see and stay sane.

PS, Pattaya only has one temple worth visiting, so it will be even more boring than C M if the fun leaves Pattaya.

Chiang mai was quite a party place a few years ago, before the clampdowns .

Bars would be full  , everyone drinking and they would close when the last person left, usually after sunrise .

Then the 2 AM closing laws were enforced , then they wet to midnight closing time , then the afternoon no alcoholic drinks to be sold law was enforced .

Previously people went to the bars for a drink and a game of pool in the early evening and then all headed to the clubs in the early hours and stayed until sunrise .

Then with the midnight closing , people just went to the clubs without first going to the bars .

Lots of bars closed down , there were hordes of Westerners wandering the streets after midnight looking for a place to drink, but everywhere had closed for the night .

People stopped coming to CM, and the once vibrant bars are just full of bar grannys begging for you to buy them a drink .

Will Pattaya go the same way ?

Remove that 110,000 from the blott on the landscape eradicating the bad image (over time) and you get 5-10 million more vistors per year

You can see why rightly the Government want it gone

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

The chatter is accurate and up to date. Illegal buildings (not everything else) is on the agenda and if you read an earlier post illegal buildings on Soi 6 have gone in last 24 hours

No. On Soi 6, illegal stalls & awnings. Get yer facts straight.

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Don't know why so many bothered with an obvious first post from a troll, what 'chatter'? where did you here it, Walking Street will be there for years to come

Yes of course its been talked about for years, but no chatter about happening in October, and believe me i know people that would know

10 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Don't know why so many bothered with an obvious first post from a troll, what 'chatter'? where did you here it, Walking Street will be there for years to come

Yes of course its been talked about for years, but no chatter about happening in October, and believe me i know people that would know

Well I guess this time clearly you dont.  November 1st is the touted date and I have read that elsewhere since the post of earlier. It make no odds to me. I'd post up the pictures of the buildings demolished around Soi 6 over last 1-2 days but as you're in the know am sure you've seen them as well

FWIW I dont think it will actually happen but this time someone is serious around town.

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And I am certain you take a pic of one of them. Can you show it us please? :rolleyes: 

I don't know about the notices, but I think it was over a year ago, when City Hall investigated the seaside properties along Walking Street.

Seems that there are over a hundred properties who never should have gotten a permit.

Only 5 of them were found to be built illegal (didn't have a permit) and most of the rest, who were built 'legal' where encroaching into the sea....of course without permits.

Anyway, this Walking Street is a pain in the xxx for many officials and "officials".

Again, I really don't care what they are planning or doing there. For the one time per year I HAVE to go there........

Thousands of overseas tourists enjoy the "thrill" of promenading  down Walking Street every day of the year. But it is by no means the sex centre of Pattaya, this is just the showy stuff that so upsets the God Botherers who know nothing about the huge sprawling district that is Pattaya.

To say you have been twice and think you know something about anywhere is so pathetic. I have been to Rome twice, do I think I know something about the place, no, just the tip of the tourist iceberg, Thousands and thousands of prostitutes lining Italian roads - will Rome will be burning soon.............I don't think so!

The thriving Thai sex scene is on the opposite side of Pattaya to Walking Street and is where all the really pretty girls can be found (and I don't mean closed brothels).

And no I am not going to say where. Let the know-nothing do gooders think they have accomplished something by demolishing a huge tourist money spinner. It will not make a hapeth of difference to selling sex in Thailand.

Be nice to have a tram, but probably the Baht bus taxi owners will put the kybosh on that scheme.

NB Thailand is industrialising at a tremendous pace and has a terrifically skilled workforce, all of whom like to go on holiday to places like Pattaya (if only to get out of the floods) and of course the Chinese tourists actually do like the Beach Road idea and will keep coming back.

Pattaya will be booming for a long time to come.

There's a lot of nonsense being posted on this thread.  There are no plans to close down Walking Street, the authorities are just (finally) enforcing planning laws and removing obstructions from the footpaths and the street. Anyone with any knowledge of what's been going on in Thailand since the coup knows that similar actions have already been taken in Phuket, Koh Samui, Bangkok and other areas.  Bars, gogos and massage places will continue to be 'checked' and if found to be breaking licensing or labour laws will be dealt with, usually by temporary closure orders.  This is nothing new, and used to happen with regularity before the current government took over.

The moral majority on ThaiVisa might wish to see the sex industry they never use and disapprove of, shut down, but there is absolutely no evidence that this is happening or likely to happen.

22 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

If the Thai administration and new tourism minister are serious about cleaning up Thailand's tawdry image as the sex capital of the world, removing this sprawling repository of human garbage in the heart of Sin City would be an impressive start.

One does not know whom to feel most sorry for, the exploited and dehumanised inhabitants of the bars, massage parlours and brothels which line this sordid alley or the mobs of degenerate foreign tourists who flock to the place like mesmerised moths to a candle flame -or perhaps flies to a piece of rotten meat would bed a more appropriate analogy.

However, it would clearly be cruel and counter-productive to throw sex workers and the rest of the Walking Street inhabitants onto the grubby pavements of this notorious thoroughfare with no means of earning a living to support themselves and their families.

Sex workers deserve compassion far more than condemnation  The commendable push to clean up Thailand's infamous red light districts should go hand in hand with bespoke retraining programmes to ensure that those displaced are able to find new jobs offering them a decent living wage. 

With a woman now running the tourism ministry, this should be a major government priority.

Are you suggesting social programs in Thailand?  Um, no one would argue that it would be nice but did you forget where you are talking about?

The only way the words Thailand and social programs should be in the same sentence is if you include "has none."

17 hours ago, Chivas said:

Well I guess this time clearly you dont.  November 1st is the touted date and I have read that elsewhere since the post of earlier. It make no odds to me. I'd post up the pictures of the buildings demolished around Soi 6 over last 1-2 days but as you're in the know am sure you've seen them as well

FWIW I dont think it will actually happen but this time someone is serious around town.

Somehow I find it to be absolutely possible that the authorities would choose the start of the high season to be marching into the premier tourist attraction of Pattaya and cause as much disruption as possible.

As for W S per se, they can't close it as where else would the Chinese package tourists be able to go in the evening?

If the Chinese consider Pattaya to be a worthwhile tourist attraction I can only assume that where they live is a real c***hole.

Take away the bars and girls etc and what is left? Shopping, eating and golf. It's a long way to go to do stuff they can do at home. While the Chinese don't spend time or money in the bars, they sure love looking at them.

All this talk of closing it reminds me of Bugis St. It became a tourist attraction and then it got closed down- does the same fate await W S, now it's an attraction on the package tours?

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's a lot of nonsense being posted on this thread.  There are no plans to close down Walking Street, the authorities are just (finally) enforcing planning laws and removing obstructions from the footpaths and the street. Anyone with any knowledge of what's been going on in Thailand since the coup knows that similar actions have already been taken in Phuket, Koh Samui, Bangkok and other areas.  Bars, gogos and massage places will continue to be 'checked' and if found to be breaking licensing or labour laws will be dealt with, usually by temporary closure orders.  This is nothing new, and used to happen with regularity before the current government took over.

The moral majority on ThaiVisa might wish to see the sex industry they never use and disapprove of, shut down, but there is absolutely no evidence that this is happening or likely to happen.

removing obstructions from the footpaths and the street

I wish they'd do that on Buakhao. It might be safe to walk down it then. The pavements exist, but have all been taken over by the bars etc.

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hmmm...

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hmmm...

Touting for sex shows, like soliciting, has always been illegal and it's not surprising it's being cracked down on.  But, as I pointed out in my post, if the bars and gogos follow the rules, things will continue as normal.