Article 44 used as "unusually wealthy" man hauled off Koh Lipe by raiding party

rooster59

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He won't have been without military and Police protection.

But maybe therein lies the reason he has been arrested now...

To be honest if he's only going down now because he's upset his protectors, then I'm fine with that. 

I'd like to see all involved rot in gaol but for now I'll take this piece of faeces reaping his slice of misery.

I hate all those involved in trafficking people. 

If he's guilty that is. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Orac said:

It would appear simple at face value but the need to use art 44 suggests more to this than meets the eye.

Or it actually suggests that there is much LESS than the eye meets, because article 44 is just another name for abusing law enforcement, since there is no court order needed for anything they fancy.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

To be honest if he's only going down now because he's upset his protectors, then I'm fine with that. 

I'd like to see all involved rot in gaol but for now I'll take this piece of faeces reaping his slice of misery.

I hate all those involved in trafficking people. 

If he's guilty that is. 

That's the thing: claims do not make a person guilty, especially RTP claims.

Many many resorts employ cheap burmese labour, their presence alone does not imply human trafficking.

This could easily be a case of a jealous business rival spreading false rumours that the authorities have picked up on, or the authorities being the jealous business rivals... We shouldn't be calling him a piece of faeces just yet.

57 minutes ago, trogers said:

His crime is simple. A foreigner who purported he is Thai and using undeclared foreign funds to own land.

Nor should we be so sure he has even committed a crime, let alone proclaim him guilty of crimes not even mentioned in the article!

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Unusually wealthy? 

Is that like a general on a 50,000thb a month salary that has hundreds of millions of Baht in the bank?

Do generals really prostate themselves for so little money a month. Must be a labor of love. Money in the bank possibly an inheritance? 

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

That also results in arrest and/or serious investigation so, no, it doesn't help.

Well there'a very senior monk whose arrest certainly doesn't seem imminent and his case no longer rates a mention in the news.

It certainly seems to be helping him.

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Unusually wealthy? for a luxury resort owner? 

I would of thought there far more likely candidates to be hauled off for being unusually wealthy, perhaps some public sector employees who appear to have 100's of millions of assets.....

Yes, like there's one general's son I heard about...

8 hours ago, halloween said:

In most countries, a man being arrested for falsely claiming citizenship to circumvent business laws would be well regarded news of authorities carrying out their duties. Here it is a source of derision, for some at least.

And you can't even think why that might possibly be?

19 hours ago, halloween said:

In most countries, a man being arrested for falsely claiming citizenship to circumvent business laws would be well regarded news of authorities carrying out their duties. Here it is a source of derision, for some at least.

Yes but the subtext here is that Article 44 was used because he is unusually wealthy and not a Thai. In other words the law is used totally subjectively when there are thousands of police, military and local and national government officials who are far more prominent and should be far higher up the priority list.

The fact is the law here is disfunctional.

20 hours ago, halloween said:

Yes, it is, because the Thai justice system is still poorly equipped to respond to what would otherwise be a simple matter.   All this has shown is that the coup has accomplished NOTHING accept circumvent due process.  Where is the reform in this? People like you who cheer on this sort of a behavior also deserve derision.  The Thai military does not know any better, but you should.

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

if the Chinese was displaying his wealth in the same way, back in China:

he'd have been executed by now

and, that is why he's in LOS and not at home

Not necessarily because, like here, excessive wealth is accepted depending on who are what you are.

maybe - but I'll wait out for news of a Chinese Extradition Order

It not what you knw, but Who you know that mateers - yes agree on that

wonder if we'll hear of who's toes he stood on?

18 hours ago, halloween said:

Do you have difficulty differentiating between race and nationality?

It is true that the roots of the top echelon of Thai society come from high-ranking Chinese clans. Chinese ancestry is common.

But, I would rather have read that the  mafia families on Koh Tao had been arrested under article 44 for possessing unusual wealth from crime related activities and murder.

41 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Yes, it is, because the Thai justice system is still poorly equipped to respond to what would otherwise be a simple matter.   All this has shown is that the coup has accomplished NOTHING accept circumvent due process.  Where is the reform in this? People like you who cheer on this sort of a behavior also deserve derision.  The Thai military does not know any better, but you should.

Enjoy your little rant? 44 was used to arrest a wealthy man instead of inviting him in for questioning, giving him time to escape. Where is the circumvention of due process? why should any specific case be an example of reform?

What I know is that this type of case is now being prosecuted, along with land encroachments, police corruption and corruption in the public service. A vast difference from the silence of the money politics of PTP.

25 minutes ago, halloween said:

Enjoy your little rant? 44 was used to arrest a wealthy man instead of inviting him in for questioning, giving him time to escape. Where is the circumvention of due process? why should any specific case be an example of reform?

What I know is that this type of case is now being prosecuted, along with land encroachments, police corruption and corruption in the public service. A vast difference from the silence of the money politics of PTP.

Bla bla al useless the army most never went to school. The police are outlaws. The regime is a front for a savings account. Enough elections and a real leader. One that knows that real work must be done. Not money projects by semi retired army stumbles. 

On 10/1/2016 at 11:22 AM, smutcakes said:

Unusually wealthy? for a luxury resort owner? 

I would of thought there far more likely candidates to be hauled off for being unusually wealthy, perhaps some public sector employees who appear to have 100's of millions of assets.....

We all would have thought that...and of course, we all know better......but a patsie has got to be so much more newsworthy than going after the uniformed guys

13 hours ago, geovalin said:

For me this story is just the follow up of this one:

Junta read 100 % of the news in English and are very reactive (I have proofs of that).

Unfortunately, Junta didn't tell that they wish to clean the island.

Could well be the case because it's not like Koh Lipe is a mainstream resort. It doesn't have an airport and it's about 1½ hours by taxi from either Hat Yai or Trang and then a ferry or speedboat to the island. Bit of a hike whichever way you look at it and not the kind of place where rumours would abound.

So the story about a Chinese disguised as a Thai with unusual wealth involved in trafficking seems a bit outlandish to me.