Landscape protection

federicoP

I am seeing that this once beautiful island is covered more and more by terrible and huge cement buildings, without any considerations about the landscape protection, and the natural value that they are destroying day by day.

Is there any local organization that is trying to do something to stop this  environmental slaughter ?

I drove through Patong, Kamala and Surin yesterday and came to the conclusion to myself that the construction on this island is effectively endless. 

Unless tourism plummets as it did in the Spanish Costas twenty years ago, there's no chance of any change in this attitude. And if Chinese tourism continues to expand, expect it to get worse.

How can you forbid people to not build on their own private land?

The answer to that is zoning, but, this would have only been effective 35 to 40 years ago when there was hardly any development.

It's far too late now and would be seen by those affected as unfair and discriminatory. 

The building laws are not enforced as they are. New regulations are not the answer.

It will eventually be controlled by supply and demand. This can already be seen. Shop-house new builds have plummeted due to little demand.

Same for entertainment areas and spec houses.

The sad thing is that thai politicians did not learn anything from the mistakes made in other parts of the world.

In India, in Goa, they have a very rough but someway effective rule : now it is not allow to build anything new at less than 500 meters from the sea.....

plenty of supply but no demand, You have to wonder how much profit they are making on these new buildings

Plenty around that have been finished and unsold for 5 years and longer

There are no zoning laws here so you could end up with a a workshop or pig farm next door

"I am seeing that this once beautiful island is covered more and more by terrible and huge cement buildings" - as said before, as Pattaya became a City by the sea, Phuket will become an island city.

I spoke to a regular Thai couple recently.  Nice people.  They do not move in circles around the sex trade here.  They had a young daughter, as in, she looked about 5 years old to me.  They told me they just got a loan and bought a small condo, for their daughters future.  They were hard workers, but I know they do not earn big money.  

Whilst admirable, I didn't have the heart to tell the them the cold reality of what is happening in the property market on Phuket.  I fear they will just be collateral damage in the property bubble here, but, I am just a farang, so not my place to say. 

My point being, the Thai estate agents are even talking up property to Thai's, who really can't afford it.

Thailand current has one of the highest average household debts in the world.  Thai banks have big exposure.  Stay tuned.

10 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I spoke to a regular Thai couple recently.  Nice people.  They do not move in circles around the sex trade here. 

Why would you even need to write something like that?

GTF out of Patong for 5 seconds.

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

Why would you even need to write something like that?

GTF out of Patong for 5 seconds.

Merely pointing out that they do not directly derive their income from the sex trade, or from a monthly "donation" from a foreigner.  Something not uncommon in Thailand.

Get into the real world for 5 seconds.

6 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Merely pointing out that they do not directly derive their income from the sex trade, or from a monthly "donation" from a foreigner.  Something not uncommon in Thailand.

Get into the real world for 5 seconds.

Your a sad bloke.