Hungary referendum on EU migrant quotas invalid, less than 50% turnout

webfact

Hungary referendum on EU migrant quotas invalid, less than 50% turnout

606x341_345546.jpg

BUDAPEST: -- The majority have rejected EU migrant quotas, but the turnout wasn’t high enough to pass the 50% threshold to make it valid.

Gergely Gulyas an MP from the ruling party said that voter turnout will be around 45 percent based on exit poll data, and that around 95 percent of HUngarians will have rejected the quotas.

Prime minister Viktor Orban is strongly opposed to Brussels’ plan to relocate 160,000 migrants across the bloc. Over the last year, Hungary has sealed its border with Serbia and Croatia in response to the migrant crisis.

Speaking after the vote he said the referendum result must be taken into account by EU decision makers.

The failure to pass the threshold will be a disappointment for the premier, despite the majority supporting his opposition to Brussels’ policy.

How the internet reacted to the news

Some speculated on how Orban might try to spin the result.

While others drew comparisons with the British referendum on leaving the EU.

Some argued that the overwhelming support to reject quotas could not be ignored, despite the result being void.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-03

98% voted against the quotas, 98%! Regardless of whether or not a referendum result is mandatory or not there can be no doubt whatsoever that a large majority of Hungarians oppose mandatory quotas. To ignore the majority view, based on a turnout level no doubt reduced by Brussels bureaucrats calling for a boycott would be outrageous.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

39 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

One has to remember that the turnout is based on registered voters. As so many registered voters are  now working in other countries around the EU getting the required amount  could certainly be difficult!

So more than half the registered voters are out of the country? Who is left there?

11 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

98% voted against the quotas, 98%! Regardless of whether or not a referendum result is mandatory or not there can be no doubt whatsoever that a large majority of Hungarians oppose mandatory quotas. To ignore the majority view, based on a turnout level no doubt reduced by Brussels bureaucrats calling for a boycott would be outrageous.

98% of 43% feel that way - so, in fact, a large majority (58%) are not sufficiently bothered to even go down the local polling station and vote. Paint it however you like - the vote was a dismal failure by the right.

98% of 43% feel that way - so, in fact, a large majority (58%) are not sufficiently bothered to even go down the local polling station and vote. Paint it however you like - the vote was a dismal failure by the right.

I suggest you tell Viktor Orban he has no mandate for opposing the EU diktat. If that was a 'failure' for the right I wish the left many more successes such as this.

3 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

I suggest you tell Victor Orban he has no mandate for opposing the EU diktat. If that was a 'failure' for the right I wish the left many more successes such as this.

Still, I am sure that he would prefer to be able to say that he had the backing of the majority of the country, whereas significantly less than half the voting public supports him.

For all those people who are crying muslim foul, how do you all think Thai society in general thinks about us overrunning their culture, i always say that its a major issue why so few Thai really care about you or my family, your here because of your money (generally speaking) and the majority takes advantage of that, because in some strange way, they, Thai, don't WANT our philosophies nor our presents here!

The immigrant problem shouldn't be a problem, safe situation, return to the country if origin, just like you and me when we run out of money.........right?

bullshit , a vote is a vote is a vote, why the 50% those to lazy to go out and vote that's their problem and 98% , said NO ! . i would take that any day . just moving the goalposts that's all. and not listening to the guy in the street. BREXIT shook the lazy so  and so's up. good for them, but i suppose they will have another vote until is suits the people in power

It appears that the politicians who wanted to accept the immigrants told their supporters not to vote.  A risky gamble, but it worked.  If they had voted then the turnout would have been, say 60%, 70% at best, but the NO vote would still have won.  The EU elite are experts at playing with democracy for their own ends.  So now they claim the vote was invalid, Oooh ! how much BS can the ordinary people take ?

55 minutes ago, Familyaffairs said:

So, its clear: they don't want Muslim or economic immigrants, good on them ! Its their country.

42% don't want immigrants - the significant majority are a lot less concerned about it than most posters on this thread.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Still, I am sure that he would prefer to be able to say that he had the backing of the majority of the country, whereas significantly less than half the voting public supports him.

You can't conclude that. You can only say less than half the voting public can be bothered to go and vote.

Or you could say that only 2% of the voting public supports mandatory quotas. That's as true as saying less than half don't.

It's like Nippy claiming the "majority of Scots supported remaining in the EU" and forgetting to mention, as she always does, that nearly as many couldn't be bothered to vote. Her "majority" is 38% of the voting public. So less than half of Scots entitles to vote want to remain in the UK.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

42% don't want immigrants - the significant majority are a lot less concerned about it than most posters on this thread.

Again, your choice of words is misleading and incorrect.

The question was about forced mandatory quotas, imposed by Germany and the EU commission. Not about immigration per se.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

bullshit , a vote is a vote is a vote, why the 50% those to lazy to go out and vote that's their problem and 98% , said NO ! . i would take that any day . just moving the goalposts that's all. and not listening to the guy in the street. BREXIT shook the lazy so  and so's up. good for them, but i suppose they will have another vote until is suits the people in power

The Hungarians were requested to take on less than 1,700 refugees yet rejected even though they are one of the major net beneficiaries of EU subsidies. The ruling party has declined a referendum for Hungary to exit the EU, accordingly massive hypocrites. The PM has claimed he will change the Constitution in order to enable the outcome of the referendum; to me that is a classic manipulative act of the 'elite' you despise and a stepping stone to dictatorship..

Edited by simple1

30 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The Hungarians were requested to take on less than 1,700 refugees yet rejected even though they are one of the major net beneficiaries of EU subsidies. The ruling party has declined a referendum for Hungary to exit the EU, accordingly massive hypocrites. The PM has claimed he will change the Constitution in order to enable the outcome of the referendum; to me that is a classic manipulative act of the 'elite' you despise and a stepping stone to dictatorship..

+1 & herewith i salute the nation of Gulasch & Tokay, knew it all along, one can usually count on them.
Failure for right-of-right populists despite the huge government campaign on taxpayers expense, so still a few left breathing in the Puszta then who remember their very own stampede into Austria back in 1956/'57 when Iwan swept through the place, ey?! Good the Austrians didn't just close the border on them or even shoot around a bit i'd guess ... btw. their quota would be a raging 1.300 people to take in (pop. roughly 10 m).

So 'invalid' if not at least 50% turnout - well, dunn then & entirely useless where EU law is (not really) concerned anyway and in the first place, if i'm not mistaken Orbanowitsch signed these conventions all by himself, maybe missing a few marbles - now, when it's convenient ...?!

1 Forint gets 10 the wannabe right wing president in AT will go down either. 

48 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Have you never considered that it might have nothing to do with refugees and the numbers being mentioned rather the concept of EU enforced quota's that has got Orban up in arms ?

People in general, do not react kindly to being forced to do anything.

7 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Have you never considered that it might have nothing to do with refugees and the numbers being mentioned rather the concept of EU enforced quota's that has got Orban up in arms ?

People in general, do not react kindly to being forced to do anything.

Orban has been consistently on message, so to respond to your ?; 'no'

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Orban has been consistently on message, so to respond to your ?; 'no'

Referendum question

The question on the ballot paper will ask whether “you are in favour of the EU being allowed to make the settlement of non-Hungarians obligatory in Hungary even if the parliament does not agree”. The ballot additionally asks whether voters are for mandatory quotas or for the independence of Hungary.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/24/hungary-viktor-orban-will-call-referendum-on-eu-refugee-quotas

Which contradicts you.

No mention of Muslims. No mention of numbers. All about EU quota's.

4 hours ago, hgma said:

For all those people who are crying muslim foul, how do you all think Thai society in general thinks about us overrunning their culture, i always say that its a major issue why so few Thai really care about you or my family, your here because of your money (generally speaking) and the majority takes advantage of that, because in some strange way, they, Thai, don't WANT our philosophies nor our presents here!

The immigrant problem shouldn't be a problem, safe situation, return to the country if origin, just like you and me when we run out of money.........right?

LOL, most Thais have never had any dealing with farangs, and we mostly pay our way and are not a drain on Thai society.

Anyway, back on topic, the legitimacy of the referendum is irrelevant as it was never binding.

Merkel and her gang better get used to keeping all the illegal immigrants that they invited in to themselves, because the rest of Europe won't take them any more.

Anyone fancy being an Italian or Greek, now that all those they rescue are stuck in those countries?

25 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Referendum question

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/24/hungary-viktor-orban-will-call-referendum-on-eu-refugee-quotas

Which contradicts you.

No mention of Muslims. No mention of numbers. All about EU quota's.

The question was

Do you want the European Union to be able to mandate the obligatory resettlement of non-Hungarian citizens into Hungary even without the approval of the National Assembly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_migrant_quota_referendum,_2016

The article from the guardian is six months old

2 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The question was

Do you want the European Union to be able to mandate the obligatory resettlement of non-Hungarian citizens into Hungary even without the approval of the National Assembly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_migrant_quota_referendum,_2016

The article from the guardian is six months old

30 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

The question on the ballot paper will ask whether “you are in favour of the EU being allowed to make the settlement of non-Hungarians obligatory in Hungary even if the parliament does not agree”

Splitting hairs much :whistling::whistling:

While it's understandable that the mandating of quotas causes some resentment, Hungarians would do well to remember that the rest of the world did not turn their backs on them when they were in need after the war and again in 1956 ( at least from a refugee /humanitarian perspective if not a military one). 

Large Hungarian communities in USA, Australia, Canada, UK: how did they get there?

20 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It's like Nippy claiming the "majority of Scots supported remaining in the EU" and forgetting to mention, as she always does, that nearly as many couldn't be bothered to vote. Her "majority" is 38% of the voting public. So less than half of Scots entitles to vote want to remain in the UK.

But in issues as emotive as migrants or the EU, it is surely fair to assume that those who vote for change are the ones who are concerned, whereas those who do not vote are, in the main, not particularly fussed about the issue or they would have voted. Therfore the Scottish picture looks even more Pro EU, or at best nonplussed.

20 hours ago, Prbkk said:

While it's understandable that the mandating of quotas causes some resentment, Hungarians would do well to remember that the rest of the world did not turn their backs on them when they were in need after the war and again in 1956 ( at least from a refugee /humanitarian perspective if not a military one). 

Large Hungarian communities in USA, Australia, Canada, UK: how did they get there?

I should think they went there to work and become American ,unlike the economic migrants these days who just want to claim all they can and impose their lifestyle on the country's they go to .