Thai breaker panels

Grubster

I had planned to use a twenty breaker square D box but my electrician thinks it is not necessary.  Are those Thai breaker boxes with the plastic flip up covers worthy of doing a house with 4 on demand water heaters, and five AC;s .  Thanks for any advice, the cost is about one fourth.

You are already at 9 circuits, add outlets (say 3) and lighting (say 2) and you're at 14. Add in a pool and outside lights and you are rapidly filling any readily available box.

I suggest you are correct in your assertion that a 16-20 place box is in the right ball park.

What are you doing about earth leakage?

On October 3, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Crossy said:

You are already at 9 circuits, add outlets (say 3) and lighting (say 2) and you're at 14. Add in a pool and outside lights and you are rapidly filling any readily available box.

I suggest you are correct in your assertion that a 16-20 place box is in the right ball park.

What are you doing about earth leakage?

Everything except lights will be grounded back to the main breaker box, then connected to a 8' grounding rod near the box and also out through my underground main feed conduit out near the meter and connected to another 8' grounding rod. I have never heard it called ground leakage, am I missing something or are we on the same track. Thanks for your help and I will get the big panel as they are also very easy to work in also. I guess I hoped that someone would say the Thai breaker boxes are just as good, I should have known better. I do have a few underground conduits from the electrical room out to a future pool area, a future out building, the well, the front gate and a nice grass hut by the pond, so yes it will be a busy box.

You should have an RCD / GFI / ELCB / GFCI (all are the same device) to protect you and your family from death by electric shock.

They are required by Thai regulations anyway so you won't pass your MEA / PEA inspection without.

A handy PEA document for your sparks to look at :- http://crossy.co.uk/Handy Files/groundwire.pdf

"Ground leakage" hazard can be protected by an "RCBO" as a main breaker.  An RCBO is a combination over-current and "RCD" (residual current device much the same as a GFCI in the states).  It is highly recommended - a requirement for some PEA - to protect in this way.

Sorry Crossy, must have submitted same time.

Edited by bankruatsteve

Crossy has posted very important information on this subject. I elected to go with larger Schneider boxes in a two story home. 

I paid 3190 baht  for Model Q03-100 EZ 18G/sn    100 amp master breaker maximum   (it is the same size, but left of the photo). 

Another model I considered is 3800 baht. It is the Schneider Q03-100ez 24g also 100 AMP MASTER BREAKER MAXIMUM. 

My Thai electrician made it clear it was easier to "wire the house" with this format of breaker boxes. I have RCBO breakers for any kitchen outlets, bathroom outlets, pump room, and outdoor outlets. Not every Isaan Builders Merchants or Electric shop stocks Schneider RCBO breakers or the Schneider QOSPD20 20KA Surge Protection Device.  The actual Schneider breakers can vary in size and price.  I see the same high quality Schneider boxes at many stores including the Buriram Thai Watsadu. 

Circuit Breaker Box Schneider in Buriram Isaan RCBO surge protection.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you guys, very helpful. I see Global has the RCBO breakers but yet to look for the surge protector, is it separate from the panel or fits inside? Is it necessary as I only have a lap top and a few TVs, do I need it to protect Fridge, AC's, pumps, etc. 

Most of us live a lifetime without surge protectors - yes there is a slight risk but it is really slight - in my 40 years of having a home here in Thailand I have lost several landline phones and one cheap TV box.  Do have main computer on a UPS so that has surge protection - but have never lost a TV or appliance.