Chinese tourists flooding in to Thailand's north despite new regulations

webfact

Chinese tourists flooding in to Thailand's north despite new regulations

p2.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Chinese tourists were pictured in great numbers at the famous temple of Wat Rong Khun in Chiang Rai yesterday.

Large numbers were flooding in for the long National Day holiday in China, reports Thairath.

This was despite two new regulations.

Chinese drivers are now prevented from using the nearby Friendship Bridge 4 to enter the country from Laos.

And at the temple itself all foreign visitors are now charged 50 baht to enter the main chapel.

Most of the visitors were Chinese on tour groups who had flown into the country.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-04

Wow, Chinese tourists are coming to Thailand during a holiday.  What is the fixation with people from China ?   Perhaps no matter what the current government does, the Chinese will keep coming and spend money.   Sure Thai officialdom will come up with a new and off putting policy.  They just cannot help themselves.        

6 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

" Chinese drivers are now prevented from using the nearby Friendship Bridge 4 to enter the country from Laos. "

Anyone here a reason or excuse why not? So much for friendship....

I read somewhere that Chinese cars did not meet Thai safety standards.    I'd be most interested to know what they are.

Personally, I'd feel safer if they stuck to walking, tour buses or bicycles;  even cyclists in Chiang Mai seem to have problems knowing which side of the road to ride on.

43 minutes ago, masuk said:

I read somewhere that Chinese cars did not meet Thai safety standards.    I'd be most interested to know what they are.

Personally, I'd feel safer if they stuck to walking, tour buses or bicycles;  even cyclists in Chiang Mai seem to have problems knowing which side of the road to ride on.

I am sure Chinese drivers exceed Thai driver safety standards. 

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

as long as they coming in with legal visa and observe the laws of the host country they are visiting TAT should be thrilled.

Remember it was said 

We dont need backpackers

We dont need bad guys on back to back tourist visas .

Local Asia Tourists thats whats needed.

China buses 

China hotels

China canteens

China boat business

China tour agents

China massage parlours

China Money stays China 

All prepaid in china ..

Its been a long time since they noticed they boobed...

China companies will find it harder to open here 

Its to late they already line the pockets of the needy greedy.

Zero  Dollar Tourists. Thats what they call them.

Somnamna TAT

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

Thai people in General don't like the Chinese. Having a Laotion girlfriend for many years, her family and the entire village voiced their revulsion for the Chinese who've over ran their country with buildings, shops, hotels making everything too expensive for Laos people in what was - their own country.  Slowly but surely this is going to happen to Thailand on a much bigger scale, if it's not already happened.

IMHO that's part of the reason for the disdainful attitude besides them just flooding the place as tourists  :coffee1:

Edited by ScotBkk

22 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Thai people in General don't like the Chinese. Having a Laotion girlfriend for many years her family and the entire village voiced their revulsion for the Chinese who've over ran their country with buildings, shops, hotels making everything to expensive for Laos people in what was - their own country.  Slowly but surely this is going to happen to Thailand on a much bigger scale, if it's not already happened.

IMHO that's part of the reason for the disdainful attitude besides them just flooding the place as tourists  :coffee1:

I am starting to wonder who Thai people do like in general? They are down on Farang, don't like the Indians and arabs, Cambodians, Burmese, and now the Chinese. 

Edited by anotheruser

I do not comprehend this article at all.The tourists have flown in so <deleted> is the article on about? If you are brave enough and do not need the Chinese tourists then deny them entry and let's see how the F Dragon will react.

S***** stuff 

3 hours ago, Emster23 said:

" Chinese drivers are now prevented from using the nearby Friendship Bridge 4 to enter the country from Laos. "

Anyone here a reason or excuse why not? So much for friendship....

That article is a total bull crap..

This week is Chinese holiday must be the only true statement in there...

Most of the Chinese bookings in the north have been cancelled: decrease of easy 50% compared to last year for this special holiday period which is usually a very big deal in term of volume of chinese tourists...

One of the reason is the blockage of Chinese cars at the border started in march-April: Karavan tours, locals in the north complained that Chinese drivers were not driving properly 5555.

Nearly blocked 100% and the only cars entering Chiang Rai province were not allowed to change province and go further south.

Since last month, some extra regulations came in from government: insurances and such..

Glad they found a few Chinese tourists at the white temple, at least makes a good photo and keep K Kobkarn happy.. :P

Edited by CantSpell

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Wow, Chinese tourists are coming to Thailand during a holiday.  What is the fixation with people from China ?   Perhaps no matter what the current government does, the Chinese will keep coming and spend money.   Sure Thai officialdom will come up with a new and off putting policy.  They just cannot help themselves.        

I think part of the problems is that the Chinese are indeed coming, but they are not spending the money here. The Majority will go down to a Chinese Travel Agent in China and book their all found holiday with them. Which includes transportation, meals, and accommodations. They may fly to some Thai Destination via Chinese Airlines, or to a central southern hub, where that are put on Tour Buses and come here by bus. 

They then begin their tour of Thailand via bus and spend their nights at Overnight Hotels, owned and run by Chinese Operators. They will also eat the pre-booked meals at these establishments.  I spent some time in a hotel like this in Jomtien that had between 9 and 13 such Chinese Tour Buses coming and going each day. The rest of there trip is a Guided Tour to temples or places, or zoo, where the enterence fee is not huge.   

Although I am sure this does create some employment for Thai Workers, as in these hotels, and perhaps being figure heads on a tour bus, in order for the Chinese to own that business, and taxes are paid, the majority of the money collected from these trips stays in China, or is sent back later to China to the owners from their profit.  

4 hours ago, CantSpell said:

That article is a total bull crap..

This week is Chinese holiday must be the only true statement in there...

Most of the Chinese bookings in the north have been cancelled: decrease of easy 50% compared to last year for this special holiday period which is usually a very big deal in term of volume of chinese tourists...

One of the reason is the blockage of Chinese cars at the border started in march-April: Karavan tours, locals in the north complained that Chinese drivers were not driving properly 5555.

Nearly blocked 100% and the only cars entering Chiang Rai province were not allowed to change province and go further south.

Since last month, some extra regulations came in from government: insurances and such..

Glad they found a few Chinese tourists at the white temple, at least makes a good photo and keep K Kobkarn happy.. :P

Can you give more info about regulations of foreign vehicles coming into Thailand or tell me where to get that info. 

The Chinese tourist that stayat the hotel where my girlfriend works think they will get a better deal by booking their tours on internet. When the bus doesn't show up they complain to her, she ask you book from me they say no she says sorry cannot help. They tend to be demanding but have not bought tours or transport fromocal people they then want local people to help with problems

15 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

If the drivers are anything like the motorcy riders they are a hazard. I think one of the problems for the Chinese when involved in an accident they will not take responsibility when their fault

45 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The Chinese tourist that stayat the hotel where my girlfriend works think they will get a better deal by booking their tours on internet. When the bus doesn't show up they complain to her, she ask you book from me they say no she says sorry cannot help. They tend to be demanding but have not bought tours or transport fromocal people they then want local people to help with problems

Chinese Tourist seem to travel in large groups so I think they book their tours in China with a Travel Agent their. In the Chinese Overnight Hotel I stayed at they didn't stay very long. Perhaps 10 to 12 hours tops. With the last bus in at 2 am and the last bus out by 12 pm. They never seemed to leave the hotel and the restaurant was only busy during meal times, and all full of Chinese Tourist.

Every time a bus came it there was mass confusion in the Lobby with all of them lined up at the front desk. I didn't mind this so much as it was none of my business but I sure wish they had posted instruction on the elevator door and the etiquette in how to use it. Do not go charging into the elevator until the people in it get out first. Man! Take a Subway in China and end up 3 stops later as nobody will let you get out.   

16 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Having lived there for 10 years and in Thailand for 5, I can categorically state that drivers in Thailand are a breath of fresh air compared to drivers in China.  

Who seem to drive mostly with the horn button.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, masuk said:

The Chinese registered cars that I have seen all tend to be decent, late-model, Japanese manufactured sedans and SUV's.

18 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Now this is a debatable issue.

18 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

How sure are you? not in my experience there not! you could check the accident statistics for China - if they were available!! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Having lived there for 10 years and in Thailand for 5, I can categorically state that drivers in Thailand are a breath of fresh air compared to drivers in China.  

Who seem to drive mostly with the horn button.

Brings back memories of when I sat my Chinese truck driving license test in 1981. We were given a translation of what passes for China's Highway Code and we all had a laugh at the times when 'make horning' was the imperative. The bit about oncoming vehicles alternately turning their headlights off and on when approaching each other at night wasn't at all funny in practice!

13 hours ago, morocco said:

Can you give more info about regulations of foreign vehicles coming into Thailand or tell me where to get that info. 

Some articles are from sources that cannot be quoted (BKK Post)

Just google: "chinese cars restrictions thailand", as mentioned, it started in March this year.

Then a new law was supposed to be implemented around September