Money needed for retirement extension- I got sloppy

Reports over the years indicate no tolerance for that. In other words, probably you are going to have to start over and get a new O visa and then an extension from that. Of course, it's worth begging. Please let us know how it goes and best of luck to you. 

• Like 2

Yes, of course, you could try to get an embassy income letter and in this case it wouldn't need to be for much income at all. But then you'd have the question of enforcement of money seasoning when using that combination method. Technically, there is no seasoning needed, but in recent years some offices are enforcing seasoning on that (two months for first extension, three for subsequent). But in a case like this, with such a small issue with the bank account, I think there would be a good chance of approval even for offices enforcing seasoning on combination applications. 

He has seasoning covered for 781k so would not need much income at all.  You can use account - just not let it drop below the required amount during seasoning period.  It is when accounts are changed that issues develop.  

Of course if there isn't some kind of income to use, then it's back to square one (begging). 

Editorial comment here ... this was obviously just a minor human error. The seasoning rule was obviously established to deter people from using short term loans for the bank accounts. This error clearly wasn't that. 

5 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Depending on the officer they may give you an extension if you top the account up to 800,000 bahts again. 

I agree it's worth asking, and yes the OP should indeed not bother even applying unless it's topped up to 800K, but my impression over the years is that they don't have tolerance for not seasoning when seasoning is explicitly required, and for 800K bank applications, it definitely is. That's why I'd like the OP to report what happens when he asks. Going under even one baht for one day doesn't meet the requirement, as absurd as that would be.

I do recall an incident (perhaps?) a while back where someone went under and topped up the SAME DAY. I think that might have worked out OK, but I don't recall. 

Edited by Jingthing

As i recall , you need 800.000 bath total. So not only that amount on a bank, income total or more then 800.000 bath,

or bankaccount and with pension or other income aswell, totalling 800.000 bath.

Though you have to prove that then. As long as you can prove you have >= 800000bath total income.

Im right?

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

As i recall , you need 800.000 bath total. So not only that amount on a bank, income total or more then 800.000 bath,

or bankaccount and with pension or other income aswell, totalling 800.000 bath.

Though you have to prove that then. As long as you can prove you have >= 800000bath total income.

Im right?

There are three methods:

-- 800K in Thai bank seasoned (never under) for two months for first extension, and three for all subsequent

-- Income method. 65K per month income proven by embassy/consulate letter. Yes, the total is under 800K for that.

-- Combination method. Income (proven by letter) COMBINED with Thai bank account money totaling (annualized) at least 800K (at current exchange rates). Technically under written law when using this method seasoning isn't required for the bank portion, but sadly enforcement has changed and it often is now required. 

A german friend of mine was 3 days short on his money in the bank and immigration gave him a months stamp for 1900b...then he applied the month after with no problems.........another friend going for an extension based on marriage had more than the 400000 in the bank for 12 months but the bank account was in his name and his wifes name...immigration told him to open a new account in his name put the money in the bank they gave him a stamp in his passport for two months ? what stamp and what cost i dont know but he went back 2 months later and he applied for his extension based on marriage...

6 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

A german friend of mine was 3 days short on his money in the bank and immigration gave him a months stamp for 1900b...then he applied the month after with no problems.........another friend going for an extension based on marriage had more than the 400000 in the bank for 12 months but the bank account was in his name and his wifes name...immigration told him to open a new account in his name put the money in the bank they gave him a stamp in his passport for two months ? what stamp and what cost i dont know but he went back 2 months later and he applied for his extension based on marriage...

So are you saying he should get married on the weekend?  

• Like 1

Here is where I am at so far...

Went to my bank, and they know me well.

I asked if I could get their letter showing my balance up to yesterday morning (still above B800,000) and they agreed to do this. I was surprised how willing they were.

So now my bank book shows B9,000 below the limit for less than a day, and then back up to the very same amount I had after withdrawing for a short time.

What do you think?

I can DL a statement from US Social Security showing my monthly draw from them, but it would not be notarized by the US Embassy, so perhaps useless.

Again, what do people think?

• Like 1

Interesting.

I'd say if you really have a document showing you were under and back up on the SAME DAY, that your chances of being approved are definitely greater.

Aside from that, your social security document is useless to show income for immigration. You would need an embassy or consulate letter for that.

I take it you're far your embassy or consulate?

In any case, the officers don't really want to think too much, but I think many of them would think the SAME DAY thing is good enough to pass.

Please let us know. 

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Here is where I am at so far...

Went to my bank, and they know me well.

I asked if I could get their letter showing my balance up to yesterday morning (still above B800,000) and they agreed to do this. I was surprised how willing they were.

So now my bank book shows B9,000 below the limit for less than a day, and then back up to the very same amount I had after withdrawing for a short time.

What do you think?

I can DL a statement from US Social Security showing my monthly draw from them, but it would not be notarized by the US Embassy, so perhaps useless.

Again, what do people think?

You don't need to get the SS statement notarized. In fact immigrations wouldn't accept it. They want an embassy affidavit.

You fill out the income affidavit and have your signature notarized by the embassy or at an outreach program. They'll be in Pattaya on 28th October or you can make an appointment in Bangkok.

Embassy income affidavit form here:  http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Also you may have a problem with your bank letter. Most immigrations offices want it dated very near to the day you go in to apply for the extension and the amount shown on the letter and in the bank book should be exactly the same.

Edited by Suradit69

You need to proof you have the combination of the 800.000 THB needed

bank and income.

Based on the story I understand that you seem to have some resources you use to keep the 800.000 THB on the bank.

You also need to have to the printout of the savings account over the last six month made and stamped by the bank. Since they ask it sometimes as happen to a few people, I know the last few weeks.

They will see you have the money in the bank as well you have another source that makes more than the 800.000 THB.

To be sure all income and other source need to have your name on it.

I do expect you have no problems at all. Success Monday.

OP, please remember to dress well for your Monday date.....

If you have a business type suit n tie with polished shoes, wear em!

You will be showing them lotsa respect and maybe that will help them to reciprocate?

Best of luck!

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

He has seasoning covered for 781k so would not need much income at all.  You can use account - just not let it drop below the required amount during seasoning period.  It is when accounts are changed that issues develop.  

As far as accounts changing,all i did was show all the paperwork and bank backup letter explaining that the money was the same,just different account and everything was cool.

7 hours ago, laislica said:

You will be showing them lotsa respect and maybe that will help them to reciprocate?

Best of luck!

Do immigration really like sucks and brown noses.They will see through a pathetic attempt to suck up.If you have been polite on other occasions that will go a long way.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Do immigration really like sucks and brown noses.They will see through a pathetic attempt to suck up.If you have been polite on other occasions that will go a long way.

You have been in Thailand a long time and don't know this LOL

1 hour ago, laislica said:

You have been in Thailand a long time and don't know this LOL

9 hours ago, laislica said:

Best of luck!

If I wear a suit and tie in Bangkok for more than 5 minutes, it will be drenched in stinking sweat, and I'll look like I was dragged in there by street sweeper. I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt, wife and baby may be in tow, wearing sandals, possibly smiling.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ocddave said:

If I wear a suit and tie in Bangkok for more than 5 minutes, it will be drenched in stinking sweat, and I'll look like I was dragged in there by street sweeper. I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt, wife and baby may be in tow, wearing sandals, possibly smiling.

Ha ha, great, post some pics....

Taxis have aircon and Thais are uniform mad and they jump to conclusions on first appearance but it's your gig, go for it!

Good luck.

Thanks to all!

I live in Chiang Rai, and I would have had to go to Chiang Mai today for the Embassy, and I was not up to the trip. My guess is that I will get accepted as is. 

Bank letter was on Oct. 5, and I go to Immigration on Oct. 10. That should be fine, yes?

As far as getting an affidavit notarized in the future, how close to the extension date does the affidavit need to be, and do I need a new affidavit every year?

I am bringing zero copies of my bank book. Do those pages need to be signed by the bank?

Never knew that, if so.

You need regular copies of your bank book, six months back should be enough and an official "immigration letter" from your bank which they will charge for that shows your current balance which needs to MATCH EXACTLY the last balance in your passbook. That bank letter should be as fresh as possible! Some offices even require same day so you need to check that. 

As far as embassy/consulate income letters, the general national rule is as old as SIX MONTHS is still good, which means of course, yes you need to get them every year if needed.

One thing concerns me about your story. You seemed to have said you made some kind of arrangement with your bank so your under 800K appears to be only one day. But was it really or is this some kind  of kludge?????

Does that mean you can show a bank book that indicates that? If not, you might still have a problem. You absolutely DO need to provide a copy of your account passbook and if there is a balance under 800K during the seasoning period,  ... maybe I wouldn't be overly confident of approval. Maybe you can share here what the bank book actually says during the dates of the problem time. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Probably good you did not make the trip to CM as it is not currently open for routine services due remodel.  

•  
  • And yes bankbook is required and all copies need to be signed by you.  

He could go to the embassy in Bangkok though if needed. 

My bank balance on Wed. morning, the 5th, was B801,000. and I had a lot more money than necessary for the last three months.

Bank letter is for my balance as of Wed. morning.  

Late Wed afternoon I withdrew B10,000 taking the balance down to B791,000. Early Thurs. morning I deposited B10,000 bringing the balance back up to B801,000. 

Nothing "devious" done.

And yes, of course my bank book will show that I was below the mark for less than a day.

I'm still not clear on exactly what your bank book shows based on what you said.

It sounds like it will show one date where it was under, and the next day date it will be back up, correct?
I'm not certain that's not going to be problem.

Best of luck regardless and please let us know.

I wasn't accusing you of anything but you seemed to indicate before that you have a great relation with your bank that was going to help you. I'm still not entirely clear how you're helped if there is a date in your book showing under.

Edited by Jingthing

My bank book now shows I was down a bit one day, and up the next.

My relationship with the bank-

When I went in, I had already been "under" and back up again.

And I had yet to update my passbook to show this.

My passbook showed me as always being over the minimum.

So I thought the bank might likely say- Let's update your bank book right now and we will give you a letter based on what it shows.

Instead, after my explaining, they were quite happy to base the letter on what I had in the bank the morning of the day before.

I took this to be a definite kindness on their part.