Welcome to Thai roads: Singapore businessman wrecks his Ferrari!

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MadMuhummad said:

Im not sure where you get that info from. I drove a Ferrari 458 Italia across Italy in the rain. AutoStrada and back country roads s somrimes at 250km/h+. The thing. Stuck like glue

IMG_5302.JPG

I agree. With traction control on they are an awesome car. I used to race the 360 Challenge over a decade ago and even then they are incredible in the wet. He obviously gave it a little squirt in the wrong place without the traction control and lost it.  With 360% Luxury Car Tax in Thailand this car is well over US$1 million dollars.

The nasty bit is yet to come. The car has only a temporary import, valid maximum for one month. 

He has to either remove the wreck within one month from arrival and move it to Malaysia (they have more common sense there and it can be either wrecked without duty or VAT or possibly repaired). This only works if the police will release the car in time - otherwise Khun Singapore gets shaved once more for paying import duty, excise tax and VAT.

Or he leaves by just walking away, never to return to Thailand and some "Chieng Khong" car parts dealers will have a field day. 

Yeah, welcome to Thailand. A stupid driver in a car he could not handle creams it up a Thai tree en route to an amulet party - how good is that :coffee1:

3 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

Im not sure where you get that info from. I drove a Ferrari 458 Italia across Italy in the rain. AutoStrada and back country roads s somrimes at 250km/h+. The thing. Stuck like glue

IMG_5302.JPG

i'd tend to agree with you about sticking like glue. id also say the italian roads are all better than thai roads not only in flatness but in traction of materials they use. i drove a rented bmw across germany and italy and no problem going fast in the rain.

case in point roads on saipan get very slippery when wet because they supposedly incorporated coral into them.  i used to own the poor mans ferrari, mitsubishi gto. with awd and aws that thing also stuck like glue

Edited by atyclb

I know almost nothing about Ferrari's, horrid, red, noisy, spitting, Italian beasties that have a terrible reputation for killing off even the most experienced drivers.

But I do think that if I was going to pay THB 30M++ I would have chosen a better tyre tread for trips from Singy to Phuket. Its not that clear in the photo, but I think something with a bit more grip in the wet would be better.

Fully open to education from those who really know about Ferrari's. But having driven up from Singy or KL quite a few times (even in the days before the motorway was built in Malaysia) I do have a bit of a feel for these roads.

I certainly don't think I would like to drive one of those beasts around the bends up by Ipoh at night and the southern roads into Phuket before you get to Krabi were not inherently dangerous, but quite interesting, even for my very well shod (big wide, road tread tyres) Hilux on our last trip from KL to Phuket a few years ago. Plus I very nearly lost the plot on those Ipoh bends when driving (far too fast) back to KL from Bangkok in a Honda Accord that was normally very responsive.

I know some of the Autostrada's have terrible surfaces in some places and Farrari's aught to be built to tackle the tricky alpine roads, so it can only be driver error for sure?

Although, one last thought..... back in the 80's it was not uncommon for Malaysian "business men" to "lie in wait" for cars with Singaporean number plates and run them off the road (especially near JB) then send their mates with a tow truck and charge a lot of money to tow them out of the ditches. The really unlucky were robbed or even killed.

Maybe one of their ancestors got pissed-off with a parade of rich Singy cars and gave one a nudge.

4 hours ago, outsider said:

That's a Ferrari 458 Italia. Doubt one can get it for 'just' THB2m. Especially not in Singapore. Even in Malaysia where the import duties are lower, it's going for a little more than that. But, it's not the newest model (the newest being the 488 GTB) so if one bought it second hand, it might be closer to the THB2m bracket.

Where did you keep the 0 after 2? I thought I read 20m and not 2m baht.

Edited by Shatian

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Never mind. He is a rich man, he can afford repairs/replacement. Now how can he save face ...

And ... 20 million baht might be the list price but in Singapore there are huge registration fees which are offered once a year and subject to bidding. Often the fee is as much again as the vehicle.

Never mind. He is a rich man, he can afford repairs/replacement.

Reminds me of the time Ronaldo wrecked his Ferrari in Manchester, before fleeing to Real Madrid: "Oh, I don't worry, it's only a week's wages!"

Meanwhile, his supporters were spending a quarter of their weekly wages to go and see the *$nt

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A Ferrari is not THE vehicle for wet roads during rainy season.

Maybe he wasn't aware :wink:

20 mio Baht?

I doubt that you get a new Ferrari that cheap in Thailand.

...and definitely not in Singapore. However, I think everyone who drives a car like this in Thailand is a moron.

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed the "Thai roads" headline is suggestive.

It's the driver.

Bad weather, rain, too fast, super broad tires, push the pedal and off you go.

Laws of physics are widely unknown in SEA.

I remember this Thai "traveling businessman" always in a rush.

He smashed his 38 mio Lamborghini into pieces alone on a straight upcountry road.

Magically he escaped little harmed.

Sadly

Edited by eddie61

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Never mind. He is a rich man, he can afford repairs/replacement. Now how can he save face ...

And ... 20 million baht might be the list price but in Singapore there are huge registration fees which are offered once a year and subject to bidding. Often the fee is as much again as the vehicle.

So you mean they are cheaper in Singapore? Luxury vehicle taxes in Thailand are over 300%.

can any one imagine buying a 6million baht car and then writing a check to the Thai government for 14 million baht as well?

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

So you mean they are cheaper in Singapore? Luxury vehicle taxes in Thailand are over 300%.

can any one imagine buying a 6million baht car and then writing a check to the Thai government for 14 million baht as well?

At least some people can since you can see them on the road from time to time.

19 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Those cars/super cars have a very high crash rate....People that buy them can't drive them....

They are used to driving cars not racing cars - everything is different power & handling wise....Especially under extremes.....

In the US the Vipers had almost a 70% accident rate in under a year....

I'm sure the new muscle cars do too....Anybody can buy them....

The smart people take theirs to the nearest race track & get lessons - others use trees to learn.....

He's probably the laughing stock of his club/fraternity now - unless he's the big dog/richest.......

Like my dad use to say "it's like giving a monkey a loaded revolver" or with posi track the back end came around and met the front end.

On 10/6/2016 at 10:14 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A Ferrari is not THE vehicle for wet roads during rainy season.

Maybe he wasn't aware :wink:

20 mio Baht?

I doubt that you get a new Ferrari that cheap in Thailand.

Maybe that's why he drove up from Singapore.

I was always under the impression that the dealers of these super cars offered driver training to anyone who bought one ? 

Maybe he forgot to take the course or was an old hand at driving them, and surely he had insurance ? Either way he is now out of pocket by a hefty sum.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Because the enormous amounts of rain cause aquaplaning.....the larger the downpour the aquaplaning chances increase incrementally.

Possibly you have never driven in Singapore, it probably has worse thunderstorms than anywhere in Thailand and the amount of water on the roads is equally huge.

The difference is that there are (and have not been for a long, long time) any roads in Singapore that you can get a Ferrari into second gear, let alone shimmy round the kind of bends found on the roads south of Phuket. Even in Malaysia the best you can do is put your boot down on short stretches of motorway and hope to get away with it. (or not care if you can afford a Ferrari).

Best to get something a bit better in the wet to practice on first. Maybe a Bentley?