Still pay money in Phuket Immigration

nasa123

Phuket Immigration denies allegations foreigners must pay for services.docx

Phuket Immigration denies allegations foreigners must pay for services

Phuket Gazette - October 10, 2014 | 04:28 PM

Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij, chief of the Phuket Immigration office, denied allegations of 500 baht fees being charged for free services. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration has denied claims it is charging fees for its services, after a Phuket Gazette reader alleged he had to pay 500 baht in the Patong office for an address verification.

“I just bought a new motorcycle, so I had to do the address confirmation again yesterday [on October 8],” the reader wrote in the comment section for a Gazette online story regarding work permits and visas (story here).

“Patong [Immigration] charged me 500 baht. Is this supposed to be free?”

Phuket’s top-ranking immigration cop confirmed that there are no official fees.

“I can categorically say that there is no fee for this service,” chief of the Phuket Immigration Office Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij told the Gazette.

“Both address verification and 90-day reporting for foreigners are services that we provide free-of-charge.

“There is only a fee for tourists extending their permits-to-stay, which is 1,900 baht.”

However, the immigration chief said he would bring the bribery allegation to the attention of his staff.

“Any foreigner who is asked to pay for these services by one of our officers can report the matter directly to me at our office, which is open from 10am to 3pm, Monday to Friday,” Col Sunchai explained.

Phuket Immigration’s Tourist Service Point in Patong re-opened in June last year. The office’s services include 90-day resident reporting and extensions for permits-to-stay (story here).

For more information foreigners can stop by the office, or call 076-340477.

— Chutharat Plerin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several other immigration offices impose a variable charge for this supposedly free service also, though some do it for nothing. Some dont do it at all. So a fairly typical mish-mash.

I trust that all those who have previously said that this fee is official will note this explanation coming straight from the top man: this residence certificate service should be free and any fee requested or paid is neither official or legal.

I had to get a residence certificate about 5 times so far and every time they asked for money. It used to be 300 THB and then they sometimes hiked it to 500 THB when they felt like it. When you ask for a receipt, they refuse. Going on for a decade or longer and no matter how many whitnesses you present, it wont ever change.

Personally I don't care. I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want. But I don't like to be taken for stupid and once the level of bulls**t exceeds a certain level, I'll just say bye bye and go somewhere nicer.

19 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I had to get a residence certificate about 5 times so far and every time they asked for money. It used to be 300 THB and then they sometimes hiked it to 500 THB when they felt like it. When you ask for a receipt, they refuse. Going on for a decade or longer and no matter how many whitnesses you present, it wont ever change.

Personally I don't care. I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want. But I don't like to be taken for stupid and once the level of bulls**t exceeds a certain level, I'll just say bye bye and go somewhere nicer.

"I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want." - I'm the same.  Have always been asked for 300 baht, and I have paid it, however, where do you draw a line in the sand, at 800 baht, 1000 baht, 1200 baht, or 1500 baht????

The price of corruption only goes up.

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want." - I'm the same.  Have always been asked for 300 baht, and I have paid it, however, where do you draw a line in the sand, at 800 baht, 1000 baht, 1200 baht, or 1500 baht????

The price of corruption only goes up.

It's the foreigner's attitude like that only make it more difficult for the rest of us to get the correct service at the correct price ... no charge. I'm sure you know the the Immigration guys know that there are mugs like you that don't mind paying 'under the table'. This really winds me up ... "I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want." It's free and I clearly tell them that ... they always cave.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

It's the foreigner's attitude like that only make it more difficult for the rest of us to get the correct service at the correct price ... no charge. I'm sure you know the the Immigration guys know that there are mugs like you that don't mind paying 'under the table'. This really winds me up ... "I'm ok with paying a few hundred baht if it gets me what I want." It's free and I clearly tell them that ... they always cave.

Winds me up too.

I use to have a neighbor who thought it was “cool” to “tip” immigration. He would give 500 Baht for his yearly and 100 Baht for 90 day report. He was so delusional, he thought everyone else was stupid for not “tipping” and that he was the smartest guy on the planet. Glad he’s gone now.

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I accept your argument LIK, and I in no way condone corruption, in fact, I think it's a disgrace that the Immigration Officers receive 300 baht, or more, which is over a day's salary for someone on minimum wage here.  To make things worse, this has been reported in the media in the past, yet, the practice still continues.  Obviously, those in charge at Immigration are taking their cut.

Allow me to clarify my post.  Upon reflection, I suppose I am not paying the money demanded of me to "get what I want" but I am paying the money so I don't get what I don't want, and that is, a red stamp in my passport from an Immigration Officer who wants to get nasty because I refuse to pay a few baht to him.  I am never comfortable paying the money, and this has nothing to do with the value of 300 baht.

Whilst I am here legally, being under 50 years of age, leaves me a little exposed.  Don't get me wrong, all expats here have the same rights, which is, basically, zero. Anyone's visa can be revoke, for any reason, at anytime.  However, my situation makes it a lot easier for Immigration Officers to exact some revenge by red stamping me.

So, purely from a financial point of view, paying the 300 baht is cheaper than moving to a neighboring country.

I have no problem in saying I do not trust anyone in authority here, especially when you stand between them and a baht.  They will not let morality, professionalism, ethics, regulations and laws, stop them from getting that baht, especially off a farang.

I am sure if Immigration Officers really banged up an expat for refusing to pay, the word would get around in expat circles and people would continue to pay.  This is how they operate, through abuse of power, and fear of reprisal. 

I have chosen to live in Thailand, and money is demanded from Thai's, by Thai's in authority.  Corruption is part of Thai culture.  A survey not so long ago found the majority of Thai's approved of corruption. 

So, when in Rome, but, of course, that does not make it right.

Image if all the bar owners refused to pay "tea money."   :smile: 

56 minutes ago, Shot said:

Winds me up too.

I use to have a neighbor who thought it was “cool” to “tip” immigration. He would give 500 Baht for his yearly and 100 Baht for 90 day report. He was so delusional, he thought everyone else was stupid for not “tipping” and that he was the smartest guy on the planet. Glad he’s gone now.

I know a guy living here by paying an Immigration Officer for "out/in stamps" just like you could in the good old days.  He has never been to most of the places in his passport.

They are still running a lot of "earners." 

Maybe your neighbor wasn't "tipping" but paying for a "service."   

I also should clarify that I don't condone corruption and in fact hate it. My wording wasn't ideal. I pay because of fear of repercussions. That's why their system works after all, they can put you in a really really shitty place. Of course it would be better to stand up for oneself but if I look at the cost / risk equation, it's pretty much a no-brainer. These guys are shaking down falangs who run businesses in the Rawai area with bulls**t charges pretty heavily right now. They are not exactly saints. And we all know how much you can rely on the courts here to sort things out should they escalate.

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I also should clarify that I don't condone corruption and in fact hate it. My wording wasn't ideal. I pay because of fear of repercussions. That's why their system works after all, they can put you in a really really shitty place. Of course it would be better to stand up for oneself but if I look at the cost / risk equation, it's pretty much a no-brainer. These guys are shaking down falangs who run businesses in the Rawai area with bulls**t charges pretty heavily right now. They are not exactly saints. And we all know how much you can rely on the courts here to sort things out should they escalate.

"That's why their system works after all, they can put you in a really really shitty place." - yes, they know you need the Certificate of Residence, and therefore, you are vulnerable to be extorted, and most in authority here will not miss an opportunity like that. 

Refuse to pay, and you might get your passport back with an unwanted stamp, and why, just because they can.

They will abuse their power of office to ensure farang pay, with severe consequences for those who do not, thus ensuring compliance.  

A question for members is, what would you do if the Immigration Officer said, "You not pay.  I not give."

You could mention that you know it's for free, but if he stands his ground, what can you do?  I suppose you could ask for a supervisor, but now the whole "face" thing enters the issue and could escalate the problem.  

Just how far do you push your principles on Phuket, over 300 baht????

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

get off your high-horse. Yout think anyone believes they "cave"? Stop making a fool of yourself.

Edited by xvend

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

What kind of shakedowns in rawai are you talking about? I would presume in the bar scene?

8 hours ago, xvend said:

get off your high-horse. Yout think anyone believes they "cave"? Stop making a fool of yourself.

I have not ridden a horse for over 40 years. Over  my 20 years experience officers have 'caved' when asking me for various 'extra' fees on CoR, 90 day report, and even on my first one year extension. I just pointed to my (then) 500 baht receipt, he threw my passport at me (with the one year stamp).  On the other free papers they have tried to show me a fee scale fo a completely different service. I politely point out I was not asking for the service. They fold.

9 hours ago, xvend said:

Nothing to do with caving, just by being polite and showing them it should be different.

I have also never paid anything extra in over 15 years, and that includes any teamoney for my shop.

14 hours ago, xvend said:

High horse? Say politely 'I'm sorry- i didn't realise the policy had changed, I have never paid this before. When did the change happen as I haven't paid it in 12 years'.

Wait for the 'you got me' response and walk out without paying- they are looking for the mugs that will pay. Over time they get to know faces anyway-I heartily agree with others that the 'well its only 100 baht' people are part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

<snip>

Wait for the 'you got me' response and walk out without paying- they are looking for the mugs that will pay. Over time they get to know faces anyway-I heartily agree with others that the 'well its only 100 baht' people are part of the problem. 

That's exactly right - they are looking for the mugs that will pay. And those mugs just perpetuate the problem.

And yes they know the faces over time. I made my stance right from the first extension. That officer was after big big baht (many thousands) and I was a Phuket newbie then. He insisted he wanted to deliver my passport to my home (wonder why) and I had to really fend him off and just go into the office to confront him. He was really mad. The next year's extension he would not even process my application and passed it to another officer. Never ever had a problem again.  

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

What kind of shakedowns in rawai are you talking about? I would presume in the bar scene?

Restaurant owners mainly but also a pool service company iirc. I've heard of 4 of them recently getting fleeced to the tune of 5k to 50k THB. I don't know much about the bar scene, couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

You might have a receipt - but for what service. No way can it be for a free CoR.

"No way can it be for a free CoR." - why not????

You are not in Thailand.  You are in the The Democratic People's Republic of Phuket.  They can do whatever they like here.  :smile:

10 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

That's exactly right - they are looking for the mugs that will pay. And those mugs just perpetuate the problem.

And yes they know the faces over time. I made my stance right from the first extension. That officer was after big big baht (many thousands) and I was a Phuket newbie then. He insisted he wanted to deliver my passport to my home (wonder why) and I had to really fend him off and just go into the office to confront him. He was really mad. The next year's extension he would not even process my application and passed it to another officer. Never ever had a problem again.  

You see, all of what you describe, and possibly worse for me, is not worth me saving 300 baht.

I simply don't trust them.  I know, that they know, they can bang me up, and for what, 300 baht???? 

In any case, do I really need to be confronted with an angry Immigration Officer, over 300 baht?

Whilst they may hold all the power in their little "Kingdom"-  I hold all the baht, and 300 baht is nothing.  I hand it over and I get the job done. 

The whole Department is rotten to the core, but TIP.  (This Is Phuket)

12 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

You see, all of what you describe, and possibly worse for me, is not worth me saving 300 baht.

I simply don't trust them.  I know, that they know, they can bang me up, and for what, 300 baht???? 

In any case, do I really need to be confronted with an angry Immigration Officer, over 300 baht?

Whilst they may hold all the power in their little "Kingdom"-  I hold all the baht, and 300 baht is nothing.  I hand it over and I get the job done. 

The whole Department is rotten to the core, but TIP.  (This Is Phuket)

If you own no form of transport and do visa runs what do you need a CofR for??