Im sick of the music noise in Thailand

advancebooking

I don't know what it is with Thais and the need for putting the volume to max outdoor, indoor, anywhere really .  

My theory is that their ears are somehow different than ours, they are all almost deaf,  or maybe they are afraid of ghosts so they need the noise to scare them away . 

Edited by balo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

People move into a cheap house in a shitty neighbourhood then get on TV forums complaining about how inconsiderate their neighbours are.

If you don't like the noise near your house, move to a more upmarket neighbourhood.

If you don't like the noise at Tesco, shop at Gourmet Foodhalls, Tops Market, Villa Market or Foodland.

If you don't like the noise at cafes and restaurants, go to more upmarket establishments.

Many retail outlets popular with Thais know that music louder appeals to their customers (mostly ordinary Thais).

They don't give a shit about what some farang thinks nor should they.

crap, they just have  more money, theyre  no  different, its  down to each person you seen to think "upmarket" makes  people better it  doesnt, Ive  been sat amongst some really vile selfish gits on Business class in flights  costing £2000 a  time, one spent the entire trip uttering profanities in almost every word he said.

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Ok. However, that does not change the fact that he has a valid point.  Perhaps, you just turn down or turn off your hearing aid(s). However, for those of us who wish to  preserve our hearing and who understand the detrimental effects this   pollution has on  public health & safety and the environment, we welcome someone speaking up.

We all get it. You want to be more  Thai than a Thai and if that means  going deaf then you will do it.  We don't want to be deaf and living in the boonies. Know why? When the drunk comes tearing  along on a road we are walking on, we want to hear the truck so we can get out of the way. We also want to hear the birds singing, our children talking to us and the telly at a low volume. We don't want to force people to scream at us so that they can be heard above the ambient noise.  Capiche?

alternatively turn off your  brain.seems  popular......maybe this  should be aired in Thailand

Edited by kannot

10 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Noise pollution has been a major issue for me also.  nearly 20 yrs residing in northern Thailand, and visiting here for a third of a century, it's pervasive.  It's also rude, but Thais don't know its rude.  I've gone to talk to police, to village headman, Thai friends, .....all of them just grin uncomfortably and shrug their shoulders.  If there are any laws against offensive noise, they're not enforced.   A just drove a friend to the airport to permanently return to his farang country.  His #1 beef: excessive noise.  I'm also planning to leave, but have some things to sell first.  

It's particularly annoying to musicians like myself, because we're more sensitive to sound than the average person.  I sometimes wonder how a top notch musician like Stevie Wonder would handle Thailand.  I wouldn't doubt he would be compelled to leave within hours.  My mom might not mind, but she was 90% deaf in her old age.

A wee bit harsh. What's music to one man might be a cats screeches to another. Personaly on the odd ocassions there is loud music around us Deaths/Festivals/weddings, I have no problem with it. As for supermarkets and there very loud speaker systems I just go to another or go back later. 

7 hours ago, balo said:

I don't know what it is with Thais and the need for putting the volume to max outdoor, indoor, anywhere really .  

My theory is that their ears are somehow different than ours, they are all almost deaf,  or maybe they are afraid of ghosts so they need the noise to scare them away . 

I attended, unplanned, an outdoor Morlam concert last week in Udon, the noise was indescribable, distorted and unbalanced. I love Morlam, and I love loud music, Mogwai and Swans , especially, but luckily for me after 20 minutes the rain came on and we made a hasty retreat. These concerts are very well attended, and a lot of young children there, including many babes in arms, not good for their hearing health.

Blasting distorted music at eardrum piercing levels is one of the sure signs you are in a 3rd world country.

Along with the smell of burning plastic. 

Along with a large stray dog population. 

Along with garbage littering every bit of open space.

Educating the Masses? 

I agree with you about the music but you missed a major point to the problem?  The one person that should have been educated is yourself before moving here?  If you did I do not think you would be commenting about this now.  It seem your little head was doing the thinking when the decision was made.

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Blasting distorted music at eardrum piercing levels is one of the sure signs you are in a 3rd world country.

Along with the smell of burning plastic. 

Along with a large stray dog population. 

Along with garbage littering every bit of open space.

Been to many so called 3rd world country never had a problem with loud music. 

The rest of your post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Another agenda maybe???

As a couple of posters have noted, you simply use earplugs. Get used to carrying them w/ you wherever you go. As an alternative, consider an MP3 player with your own music and noise-canceling earbuds. Sorted!

10 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

People move into a cheap house in a shitty neighbourhood then get on TV forums complaining about how inconsiderate their neighbours are.

If you don't like the noise near your house, move to a more upmarket neighbourhood.

If you don't like the noise at Tesco, shop at Gourmet Foodhalls, Tops Market, Villa Market or Foodland.

If you don't like the noise at cafes and restaurants, go to more upmarket establishments.

Many retail outlets popular with Thais know that music louder appeals to their customers (mostly ordinary Thais).

They don't give a shit about what some farang thinks nor should they.

So you know where this guy lives.....?

The problem is most customers don't ask to turn the music down or off!

I always ask to turn it down.

Some of the music is downloaded from the Internet and the volume goes up and down, which is annoying in a public place.

If everyone understood how damaging loud music is too their hearing, it would not be a problem.  :shock1:

I don't like it either but I know there's nothing I can do about it. No point even thinking about changing things. What does my head in is the bass on Thais loud music - trying to sleep at night when there's this boom-boom-boom in the air. Can't hear the singing or any instruments, just that boom-boom bass. I see Thais driving in their cars and there's this deafening music coming from their cars. Don't know how they can stand it, that's how they break down prisoners at Gitmo, it's technically classified as torture.

16 hours ago, seajae said:

many moons ago when I was young and had a half decent voice I was with a band, gave me some great insight to adjusting  the amps so that the music etc wasnt distorted. At the new year party at my wifes work last year they had hired a sound system for the night but had the bass and treble set really badly so that the music was distorting  plus like most thais they had the volume set as loud as it would go so I went over and adjusted the bass/treble so the music no longer distorted and was much better to listen too. The idiots were back there within minutes and set it back the way it was because I presume it was just a bit louder, the fact that the bass was set as low as it could go so that it buggered up the music and wasnt balanced with the treble meant nothing, I am convinced all these idiots are deaf and cannot hear anything below full volume, the fact that it sounds like total sh*t never comes into it, you only have to listen the the crap sound coming from their cars etc, they have no idea how to balance the tone or adjust the volume

10689740_545796732231144_1721334448577064293_n.jpg

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

As a couple of posters have noted, you simply use earplugs. Get used to carrying them w/ you wherever you go. As an alternative, consider an MP3 player with your own music and noise-canceling earbuds. Sorted!

Great practical suggestion........ I always wear earbuds for my MP3 when out and about........especially with the wifee !

Edited by johnnybgood
fontsize

18 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Why don't you just go back where you came from? Enjoy your flight. 

The usual predictable and idiotic comment. And if he has a family here, wife and kids, just abandon them Thai-style? Just walk out on his responsibilities, or force the family to leave their country and other family members and live overseas? Again - idiotic comment.

59 minutes ago, Kabula said:

The problem is most customers don't ask to turn the music down or off!

I always ask to turn it down.

Some of the music is downloaded from the Internet and the volume goes up and down, which is annoying in a public place.

If everyone understood how damaging loud music is too their hearing, it would not be a problem.  :shock1:

I was eating in a pub in Bangkok and a group of about 12 to 15 people came in to also eat. The music was too loud and they asked politely if it could be turned down a little, the staff refused and the group left to eat elsewhere. Of course the staff didn't care the business lost 20,000 baht or more, because they don't own the business.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

17 hours ago, elephant45 said:

lostinissan, you really are lost, is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? Maybe you need to get a ticket out. The person is making a comment that is valid. And after the party is over and we live here permanently things like this can become unbearable and so I already have deiced to leave.

He has to say what his wife tells him

1 hour ago, transam said:

So you know where this guy lives.....?

I don't need to know where he lives.

He gives a pretty good description of the places where he encounters this noise he detests so much.

I just suggested how he might be able to avoid it.

4 hours ago, kannot said:

crap, they just have  more money, theyre  no  different, its  down to each person you seen to think "upmarket" makes  people better it  doesnt, Ive  been sat amongst some really vile selfish gits on Business class in flights  costing £2000 a  time, one spent the entire trip uttering profanities in almost every word he said.

So in your opinion, an upmarket neighbourhood is just as likely to have as many residents blasting morlam as a downmarket one?

I live in a decent condo building off lower Sukhumvit, no loud music or disturbance

I shop at Gourmet Foodhalls and Villa Market, no loud music or disturbance

I eat at plenty of cafes in my locale, some play loud music but if I'm not in the mood, I go to ones that don't.

It's not rocket science.

I agree its annoying but I feel your proposal is like saying you dont understand Thais when they speak so why dont we all force them to learn English so we (the foreigners) can understand them.  Why should they change to suit us??  This is their country, they either dont find the volume annoying or they enjoy it.

However one place I did find it very disturbing was when I was teaching.  The volume Thais like is very damaging for childrens ears and used to be horrendous in the canteen at lunch time.  I once approached the principal at lunch and asked her sarcastically if she could please turn it up because my friends in Bangkok (20 kms away) could barely hear it clearly.  She looked at me dumbfounded, clearly not understanding my sarcasm.  I explained nicely it was too loud for the childrens ears and then walked back to my table.  I noticed during the rest of mealtime she kept looking over at me with the same confused look on her face.  After lunch she actually came up to my office and asked me what I meant by too loud!!!  Now this was a Thai principal who I got on with very well, who always had an ear for teachers concerns and who understood English very well.  The volume never changed, I guess because they had no idea what was considered an acceptable level (for a farang!)  I might add that the children werent bothered by the volume and neither were the Thai staff.........This is Thailand!

8 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

So in your opinion, an upmarket neighbourhood is just as likely to have as many residents blasting morlam as a downmarket one?

I live in a decent condo building off lower Sukhumvit, no loud music or disturbance

I shop at Gourmet Foodhalls and Villa Market, no loud music or disturbance

I eat at plenty of cafes in my locale, some play loud music but if I'm not in the mood, I go to ones that don't.

It's not rocket science.

I live on an expensive bit of land on the edge of a lake, about 9 years now. I have no neighbours so I can play music all day long with no problems.

BUT, about 2 years back the local gov decided to erect a tower with large speakers on top about half a kilo away. At 6 am some crap music comes on to tell everyone that soon a bloke will be on the mic to talk..:crying:....when he has finished the crap music comes on to tell us he has finished....This frequent episode obviously wakes me and many others up....My point is it don't matter where you live or how posh the area stuff can happen...

I was in a Starbucks drivethrough last week, that's not a coffeeshop but a library! It was loaded with students and working people who all brought their notebooks. It was very quiet inside.

Guess they all live next to a school or lowclass neighbours who make much noise all days.

1 minute ago, transam said:

I live on an expensive bit of land on the edge of a lake, about 9 years now. I have no neighbours so I can play music all day long with no problems.

BUT, about 2 years back the local gov decided to erect a tower with large speakers on top about half a kilo away. At 6 am some crap music comes on to tell everyone that soon a bloke will be on the mic to talk..:crying:....when he has finished the crap music comes on to tell us he has finished....This frequent episode obviously wakes me and many others up....My point is it don't matter where you live or how posh the area stuff can happen...

Ok but for 7 years, you had no issues did you?

If it bothered you that much, you'd have moved.