Graduate student jumps to his death from 27th floor of Bangkok condo

webfact

Graduate student jumps to his death from 27th floor of Bangkok condo

p3.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A 23 year old graduate student jumped to his death from the roof of a condominium in the Kaset - Nawamin area yesterday morning.

Pahonyothin police found Jaratpong Srisala dead at the scene. He had been seen on CCTV at 3am going to buy a bottle and a can of beer, reports Thairath. He had then taken the lift to the flat roof where police found the empties.

They presume he jumped after consuming the beer.

He had been an engineering student at an unnamed Bang Ken university. He came from Pan Thong, Chonburi.

His parentstold police that he had complained that he was stressed that his job in Bang Plee was not what he had been trained for. 

Though they said that his death was a surprise for them they did not doubt that he had killed himself.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-10

Bangkok would have to be the high dive-capital of the world. Hardly a week goes by without reports of somebody 'falling' off a balcony whereas in other international big cities it is fairly rare. Are the balconies too low or are these incidents assisted by others? 

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

Bangkok would have to be the high dive-capital of the world. Hardly a week goes by without reports of somebody 'falling' off a balcony whereas in other international big cities it is fairly rare. Are the balconies too low or are these incidents assisted by others? 

From what I understand there is also little mental health support, which apparently might have been a greater factor in this one. However I wouldn't take that as and indication that there's any need for change, just because much of the rest of the world contend that one out of four are susceptible at some point, in their only life. I think it was one in five when I got mine.

Edited by silent

I'm not saying that it is the reason for his suicide in this instance after his parents said he felt he was not suited to his job, but I'm sure many Thai students cheat their way to graduation, get a job based on those qualifications, and then find they are out of their depth and can't cope. That would certainly create stress.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not saying that it is the reason for his suicide in this instance after his parents said he felt he was not suited to his job, but I'm sure many Thai students cheat their way to graduation, get a job based on those qualifications, and then find they are out of their depth and can't cope. That would certainly create stress.

I don't think he cheated. There is no need to cheat under a 'No-Fail' policy.

My question again - What was he trained for...?

4 hours ago, Saladin said:

All I know is if I stay at hotels or condos I'm requesting a first floor room.

Perhaps its time we do a bit of self-reflection and ask ourselves why we are willing to accept this news of a suicide jumper verbatim while other times we accuse foul play.

This jumper happened to be Thai...could we be seeing a subtle form of racism on TVF ?

I, for one, am doing some soul-searching.

Edited by ClutchClark

It is a bit strange but from the style of reporting, the parents come across as pretty cold and unemotional about their son's suicidal death, which is surely not the case.  I have noticed this many times before in other reports but have to assume that it is indeed the reporting style and NOT the fact that death does seem a fairly common experience in Thailand and that Buddhists believe the dead will come back again one day, albeit possibly in another form. Anyway, RIP to the young man.

There is quite a high suicide rate here in Japan and also among American armed forces members and retirees.  Fortunately, the BTS and subways in Bangkok have gate barriers so they don't have the train divers that we do here in Tokyo.

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Perhaps its time we do a bit of self-reflection and ask ourselves why we are willing to accept this news of a suicide jumper verbatim while other times we accuse foul play.

This jumper happened to be Thai...could we be seeing a subtle form of racism on TVF ?

I, for one, am doing some soul-searching.

I'm just going to speak for myself, not anyone else here.

IMHO, there are lots of reports and reported circumstances here where the reported suicide is at least reasonably suspicious. Like when the "jumper" was just arguing with someone before and then the other person has fled and is not able to be found, or I think I recall one where the dead person was naked.

There are other situations where, at least based on the reported circumstances, it's at least understandable that someone has jumped. I remember another case where the person was an elderly farang who'd been diagnosed with some chronic, serious disease and was totally alone at the time of his death.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a Thai vs. farang thing. I think it's a "what are reported the circumstances" thing.

And in this case, according to the report, the guy was seen on CCTV going out and returning with beer and going to the roof, from all indications alone, in the middle of the night.  Even if I were a very suspicious person, I'm not sure what I'd find to get suspicious about with those kind of reported details.

9 hours ago, Saladin said:

Well in this case he was on the roof by himself so I should suggest neither.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm just going to speak for myself, not anyone else here.

IMHO, there are lots of reports and reported circumstances here where the reported suicide is at least reasonably suspicious. Like when the "jumper" was just arguing with someone before and then the other person has fled and is not able to be found, or I think I recall one where the dead person was naked.

There are other situations where, at least based on the reported circumstances, it's at least understandable that someone has jumped. I remember another case where the person was an elderly farang who'd been diagnosed with some chronic, serious disease and was totally alone at the time of his death.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a Thai vs. farang thing. I think it's a "what are reported the circumstances" thing.

And in this case, according to the report, the guy was seen on CCTV going out and returning with beer and going to the roof, from all indications alone, in the middle of the night.  Even if I were a very suspicious person, I'm not sure what I'd find to get suspicious about with those kind of reported details.

TVF members have accused foul play at similarly rock solid evidence  :smile:

3 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

C'mon Sherlock work it out.

I cannot work out what they should be doing .

They are probably waiting to a Doctor arrive to make a pronouncement  and then inform an undertaker to come and collect him .

Not sure what else they could be doing 

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

I cannot work out what they should be doing .

They are probably waiting to a Doctor arrive to make a pronouncement  and then inform an undertaker to come and collect him .

Not sure what else they could be doing 

Raising the dead?