Graduate student jumps to his death from 27th floor of Bangkok condo

webfact

'I would feel real trapped in this life if I didn't know I could commit suicide at any time.' Hunter S Thompson (a man who clearly understood suicide)

There are two key distinctions between Thailand and the west regarding these suicides. First of all high rises with balconies and easy rooftop access are ubiquitous in Bangkok, providing a quick and easy path to suicide for just about anyone. In almost all cities in the West, far fewer people have a high-rise balcony at their disposal and rooftops are typically locked up and alarmed.

Second, suicide is almost never reported as such in western media. It is usually swept under the rug, so we can pretend it doesn't exist. I know of many people who committed suicide, but they never made the news for it, including childhood classmates and jumpers. One person flung themselves off of a top floor balcony in my condo building during a tour of the unit. Another one jumped from the top level of a shopping mall in San Diego, literally 100 feet away from the studio of a local news network. It's seems that the media believes reporting = promoting.

It is also true that many expats may feel that they have no where else to go, having already left their old life behind them to come here. So when things don't go well, that balcony 3 meters away from them is an easy reach. Sometimes, the most difficult and painful decision is to go through another day of misery.

Edited by RaoulDuke

On 10/10/2016 at 7:58 PM, ClutchClark said:

Perhaps its time we do a bit of self-reflection and ask ourselves why we are willing to accept this news of a suicide jumper verbatim while other times we accuse foul play.

This jumper happened to be Thai...could we be seeing a subtle form of racism on TVF ?

I, for one, am doing some soul-searching.

Well the ladyboy was seen leaving the apartment just before the discovery. 

The girlfriend was away in Bangkok, but would inherit the house. 

The man had 3 stab wounds in his chest. 

3 men were seen chasing him just before he jumped. 

He was at the airport ready to fly out and suddenly jumped for no reason. And so on. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:49 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not saying that it is the reason for his suicide in this instance after his parents said he felt he was not suited to his job, but I'm sure many Thai students cheat their way to graduation, get a job based on those qualifications, and then find they are out of their depth and can't cope. That would certainly create stress.

His parents did not say that their son was not suited for the job he had been trained.  It was the son who told his parents this.

One of my degrees is a BS in Mechanical Engineering circa 1981.     I had to work at the family restaurant, which sucked after 4 or 5 years.  I didn't get to have as much fun at college as I would have liked since I had to dash home on weekends to work. I certainly remember some difficult classes, some emotions, etc.  But death or suicide was never one of them.  I had a decent home to go home to.  In retrospect my father was probably hoping I would flunk out so I would keep working long hours at the restaurant for free!  After earning a MS in Math, an Air Force Captain, some decent paying jobs in the aerospace and defense industry, then a fairly 14 years as a contractor, things worked out ok.    So hang in there.  Take a break. I took 3 semesters off

1 hour ago, mallyrd said:

His parents did not say that their son was not suited for the job he had been trained.  It was the son who told his parents this.

And if you read more carefully before commenting I didn't say that the parents said he was not suited to the job, but that it was he who told the parents.

Quote:  his parents said he felt he was not suited to his job