New Law when Buying Motorcycle

maddox41

NEW LAW WHEN BUYING A NEW MOTORCYCLE IN THAILAND

Two months ago the Thai government introduced a new law for buying a new motorcycles in Thailand .

Which I found out today ?

Before a Farang only needed a valid Non O visa  a certificate of residence and your money .

But now you will require a valid Thai bike license or a valid international bike licence to buy a new bike in Thailand .

Be warned when you call  the bike shop and ask all the relevant questions in regard to what they require to buy a motorcycle you will be told you don't need a licence it's not until you arrive to the shop they will tell you one is  needed to purchase a motorcycle .

Most if not all will not sell you a bike if you don't have a valid Thailand or International bike licence .

I hope this helps ?

Maddox41

Edited by seedy

NEW LAW WHEN BUYING A NEW MOTORCYCLE IN THAILAND

Two months ago the Thai government introduced a new law for buying a new motorcycles in Thailand .

Which I found out today [emoji50]

Before a Farang only needed a valid Non O visa  a certificate of residence and your money .

But now you will require a valid Thai bike license or a valid international bike licence to buy a new bike in Thailand .

Be warned when you call  the bike shop and ask all the relevant questions in regard to what they require to buy a motorcycle you will be told you don't need a licence it's not until you arrive to the shop they will tell you one is  needed to purchase a motorcycle .
Most if not all will not sell you a bike if you don't have a valid Thailand or International bike licence .

I hope this helps [emoji50]

Maddox41

Nonsense.

Actually, this happened to me 6 months ago.  I was talking with the KTM salesman and he told me I needed a license.  I talked to my friend at the Honda shop in Nonthaburi and he told me nonsense.  KTM dealer told me no problem thru email but afterI bought the bike he told me again I needed a license.  Finally, I found out the details.  He told me that to register in Bangkok district Land Office, where the KTM dealer is, they wanted a license if my work permit was not in Bangkok.  My work permit is in Ayutthaya.  Whether that is true or not I don't know but that is finally what I got out of him. I told them, simple solution, register the bike in Ayutthaya.  I met them at the Land Office in Ayutthaya about 2 months ago and no problems whatsoever.  But they had me driving 3.5 months without registering the bike.  But I do have the driver's license now because without it I really don't think the insurance company will pay if in an accident.

Edited by jtrump

1 hour ago, Gnasher328 said:

Seems irrelevant as you shouldn't be buying or riding a bike without the necessary licence anyway! Insurance - including health insurance - will likely be invalid if you do.

So a rental shop owner or trader needs to have a license for every vehicle type? The rider needs the license, not the owner.

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

So a rental shop owner or trader needs to have a license for every vehicle type? The rider needs the license, not the owner.

Would make sense if he has to pick up or deliver his vehicle somewhere.

5 hours ago, bramds said:

Would make sense if he has to pick up or deliver his vehicle somewhere.

Unless he has staff to do that, or puts a bike on a truck or delivery van. Or a car on a truck. Whatever it is, there are situations where the owner wouldn't need to drive/ride the vehicle so no need to require a license.

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Unless he has staff to do that, or puts a bike on a truck or delivery van. Or a car on a truck. Whatever it is, there are situations where the owner wouldn't need to drive/ride the vehicle so no need to require a license.

If you put it on a truck or a van, you would still need a license :saai:

7 hours ago, bramds said:

If you put it on a truck or a van, you would still need a license :saai:

Hehe yea but in some cases not the same kind of license :) E.g. He wouldn't need a motorbike license to transport one with his truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question

Can I buy a new motorcycle with a Non B visa, certificate if residency, and cash?

I intend to get a license anyway

i have been told new rules have come into force and it is now much harder to buy. (not sure how accurate this is).

OP

papa questioning the veracity if this 'new law'

What was your source?

Did You talk to a lawyer

Did you read the statute in Thai or translation.

Did a dealer staff say this, and how would they know?

Actual evidence would be nice.

TT

The new 125cc Fino in pearl / blue looks good

2 days ago I was at a dealer to buy a scooter. They told me work permit and passport will be needed for transfer. After I replied that I don't have any work permit, they said it will be ok without work permit. Just my passport.

:annoyed:        :cheesy:

To the guys who buy motorbikes with just passport and cash: are you sure you didn't also need a certificate of residence? Otherwise I find it hard to imagine how they can register the bike in your name without any address proof.

And what kind of bike did you buy to expect a reverse gear? A Goldwing?

As far as I understand

the bike only needs to be registered if you intend to riding it on the public road   if you are riding on private property

then there is no requirement to register it , the shop can and will sell you a bike and give receipt of purchase  which will prove ownership

if you wanted to sell it  after a few years  it could only be sold to someone who would also only ride  on private land as registering the bike for legal road use later could be quite troublesome.l

On 11/3/2016 at 3:23 AM, akirasan said:

Bought a motorbike 3 days ago and they only asked for my passport and some cash.  

The guy showing me over the bike wasn't sure how to handle my question of where the reverse gear was located though.

In Bangkok?

On 11/2/2016 at 0:36 PM, Foozool said:

2 days ago I was at a dealer to buy a scooter. They told me work permit and passport will be needed for transfer. After I replied that I don't have any work permit, they said it will be ok without work permit. Just my passport.

:annoyed:        :cheesy:

Where in the kingdom was this?

As far as I understand

the bike only needs to be registered if you intend to riding it on the public road   if you are riding on private property

then there is no requirement to register it , the shop can and will sell you a bike and give receipt of purchase  which will prove ownership

if you wanted to sell it  after a few years  it could only be sold to someone who would also only ride  on private land as registering the bike for legal road use later could be quite troublesome.l

Kind of correct - shop wouldn't care, a dealership would have to register it in your name to get the plates.

This thread is quite confusing - to me a shop is a place that sells 2nd hand bikes - for sure they don't mind what happens, you buy the bike, show them a passport if required, pay the cash and like you say, up to you if you want to register it in your name or not.

Then, there's a dealer - who will ask for proof of ID to complete the papers, settle the balance with the distributor, pay outstanding tax and get a plate, some will skip the certificate or WP if a repeat customer.

Anyway, most dealers can't deal with westerners anyway, we want to pay cash, we want a discount, we want to ride the bike off the showroom, prolly made up the idea of the DL to get rid of you and save face so they could deal with a Thai person who's happy to pay the interest on a credit deal and has the mandatory ID card and a few useless guarantors