Ex mayor who kicked a doctor in ER room gets six months for assault

webfact

Ex mayor who kicked a doctor in ER room gets six months for assault

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PHAYAO: -- A former mayor of a district in Phayao has been jailed for six months for kicking a doctor in a hospital.

The incident occurred at the Mae Jai Hospital  in August.

Surakiat Petpradap had gone into the ER department for treatment and had an argument with a doctor. He had kicked him in the side of the head causing bruising, reports Daily News.

The 66 year old former mayor said it was as a result of a tightness in his chest and he didn't know how it happened. The court threw that out and sent him down for six months for assault suspended for two years.

He will be on probation needing to report four times a year to police for two years. In addition to the sentence he was fined 3,000 baht and ordered to do community service.

The doctor involved - 30 year old Thongchai Meuangkham - was praised by the hospital director as a great doctor who had dedicated himself to patients in the countryside turning down work in the city.

The doctor and the mayor had settled their differences with mutual apologies before the court case but the criminal proceedings had to follow their course.

Hospital director Samrit Tantiwatnakun said that the decision of the court sent out a clear message that assault on hospital staff would not be tolerated. 

He thanked the court for the judgment handed down on Wednesday.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-13

Misleading headline as you need to read the story to fully understand that the sentence was suspended for two years.

The fine of Bt. 3,000 is hardly a punishment and his probation requires reporting to police only four times a year !

He's been ordered to do community service but as seen with other cases this can mean little or nothing and can be circumvented.

Any chance his status indicated that a suspended sentence was appropriate ?     :biggrin:

Edited by NongKhaiKid

“…six months for assault suspended for two years.

He will be on probation needing to report four times a year to police for two years…”

"Justice" is a joke in the LOS. If one has power, no matter how little, all justice is suspended. After all, the person meting out the punishment could be the next one caught breaking the law.

19 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Misleading headline as you need to read the story to fully understand that the sentence was suspended for two years.

The fine of Bt. 3,000 is hardly a punishment and his probation requires reporting to police only four times a year !

He's been ordered to do community service but as seen with other cases this can mean little or nothing and can be circumvented.

Any chance his status indicated that a suspended sentence was appropriate ?     :biggrin:

Yeap - as soon as I saw mayor, I knew it would be a suspended sentence. I wonder if they print it here like this because they don't understand what a prison sentence is, or becuause they know most people just read headline. 

If you are rich or influential or both,you will get a suspended sentence,

and some people seem to get a few,you see the headlines,jailed for

12-6 months,then when you read the article,it's always suspended 

for two years, but not if you are poor.

regards worgeordie

In the demented minds of many Thai's a 'Mayor' outranks a Doctor on the social ladder, so don't expect any real 'justice' in matters like this.   Typical of this country's ass about face way of seeing just about everything !

Edited by trainman34014

Amazing, you just cannot believe what you read in the Thai press. Should have read "Assailant let off scott free after vicious attack on doctor" ! I know of one case where a person was found guilty of murder and sentenced to death, but in reality drives the streets of the capital in her Mercedes, never having even spent one night in jail !

40 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

In the demented minds of many Thai's a 'Mayor' outranks a Doctor on the social ladder, so don't expect any real 'justice' in matters like this.   Typical of this country's ass about face way of seeing just about everything !

How does a Judge rank?

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I expect he's never been to prison before so they suspended it! Just like in some other well known cases.

What a loada bullshit
How could that pathetic sentence remonstrate itself as a deterrent sentence. This bully boy should've got 6 years and 300,000 baht compensation for the Doctor.

Makes me so irate !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

his probation requires reporting to police only four times a year !

so, we, farangs are also punished, since we have to go to the immigration office every 90 days. 

No real use of these 90 days reports, some of us should travel 2-4 hours to be registered by the office.Well, punishment is punishment, those who sinner must pay for their sin

So he got the same sentence as me ,mine is for being a farang ,report 4 times a year ang mine is 1900 baht but I have to supply many papers that cost me a lot more

Great post! The krap we have to put up with and on the other side of the coin the things mean, nasty patriots get away with. Kicking a doctors head, he should have been wheeled into the operating theater and been given a sex change.

7 hours ago, whatproblem said:

So he got the same sentence as me ,mine is for being a farang ,report 4 times a year ang mine is 1900 baht but I have to supply many papers that cost me a lot more

For sure you receive the same penalty (as do many others) just for being a farang but you can bet you would not have received the same sentence had you kicked a doctor in the head. You would be doing serious time, unlike the ex Mayor.

18 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

The former Mayor.

We have all seen them, at our places of work in our governments on reality TV shows. The nobodies who think they are somebody, they're sickening and Thailand seems to be full of them.

Well, you could always leave, no?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Well, you could always leave, no?

Although I was pointing my finger at the said Mayor I was also describing a particular type of narcissistic person that I care little for.

These people exist in all countries and societies, so leaving planet Earth is not a viable option.

Mutual apologies... hehe.

Look it's simple. One guy is mayor AND older. Other is doctor AND younger. 

Mayor = big.

Doctor = small.

Pee versus nong.

Influential versus nobody.

Farang no understand complex/superior thai customs...

FÄCE..............................