Is Pattaya a popular destination for backpackers, flash packers and budget families?

Mobi

18 hours ago, Mobi said:

People have been predicting the demise of tourism in Thailand and in Pattaya in particular for as far back as I can recall, yet still, the numbers keep rising - year on year - despite coups, violent demonstrations, airport closures, floods, and goodness knows what else.

Sure Burma will become a rival, as is Cambodia, Vietnam, and Malaysia, but for every disillusioned tourist who throws his fake Rolexes and Armani suits out of his pram, there are several more to replace him.

There is something about Thailand that keeps'em coming - regardless... and the Thais know it, which is why they couldn't give a toss if there is some bad publicity about a couple of backpackers getting murdered int the sand. Koh Tao has just had its best tourist year... ever!

As for a world class International tourist resort in Thailand - name  me one. Phuket? Where you get beaten up for parking your car? I doubt it, but there's plenty of millionaires  and rich and famous, pop stars, movie stars et al who spend a week or two in that area.They don't care - its' all part of the "Thai charm" - Mafia, human trafficking an'all...

I still believe that one day it will happen in Pattaya, or maybe you think you know better than The Hilton, The Holiday Inn, The Dusit, The Marriot, and The Intercontinental to name but five, 5-star international hotels who have already set up in the Pattaya area?

And that's before the make-over.

Outside of the Chinese tours what tourist numbers are rising ?

I would say Burma and Vietnam are in process of being serious  tourism rivals including Chinese tours.

Right, something about Thailand keeps them coming. Mostly a brand name.

I have no idea why backpackers would visit Thailand now and especially Pattaya instead of Burma or Vietnam.

Not sure what you think is going to happen some day in Pattaya ? After looking at the Phuket forum it seems that both places are just in process of evolving into  congested, seedy,  second/third string seaside resorts with  increasing foreign Asian and Thai populations. Sure there will always some tourists staying in 5 stars as the limited  exception to overall visitors.   I dont know about this makeover : Every new project ive seen around here has been a disaster. The marina , bali hi, beach walks ( that have become hostile environments physically and socially. Beach restoration ?. Take a look at trailer trash/junkyard at South end beach walk, that by the way is entrance to one of cities  main tourist attractions. And regarding the beach sand work : Unless they have some (foreign) engineers who 

specialize in beach erosion, that includes jetty construction, all that sand is just temporary.  

Edited by morrobay
add

All developments and so-called makeovers to date have been carried out by corrupt local authorities who employ their mates who haven't the first inkling of how to do it properly and then pocket half the budget.

But it can be done properly. Just look at the futuristic Bangkok Malls if you need examples of what can be done to world-class standards.

There's plenty of know-how in Thailand to do what is necessary - even if they need to recruit foreign engineers to help them make it happen.

If the C P Group, or the Central Group, or others of a similar calibre, had it their minds to expand their interests into beach resorts - and I believe they will one day - then it will happen. They have enough money and influence to gain the necessary support from the government and military. These guys are in a different universe to the bunch of buffoons who currently run most of Thailand's tourist towns.

For many years now, it has been every Thai government's stated aim to take Pattaya upmarket. I agree that so far not much has happened, but that doesn't mean to say it won't happen one day. The abortion that is Pattaya and Phuket today will not be allowed to fester forever. Most Thais hate Pattaya and are ashamed of what goes on here, especially so publicly.

I lived in Thailand a time when none of the Bangkok Taxis had meters, and thousands of tuk-tuks were allowed to roam the streets uncontrolled, belching out their two-stoke fumes everywhere. They all said it would never change - but it did.

Quite apart from the Bangkok Beer bars that Chuwit demolished back in 2003, most people forget that the Sukhumvit Road, near to Asoke, was littered with ugly beer bars - some stretching back several blocks deep. But they have now all disappeared. The area where Terminal 21 is now is now located used to be jam-packed with beer bars - and it wasn't that long ago.

And don't forget the blot on the landscape that was Washington Square - what a dump, with the only living things around to keep you company when you sipped your warm beer were a couple of friendly rats.

The final lot of seedy beer bars to go will be the ones on Soi 22, and who can say what the long term future is for Nana Plaza and Cowboy. Things do change, but they take time, often far too long, but they tend to get there in the end.

But clearly we are not going to agree on this, so let's just wait and see...

As for the enlightened comments on the number of backpackers in Pattaya – may I offer my thanks for all the input, some interesting stuff.

To be honest, while I would be the last to deter backpackers from coming here, and indeed there is plenty here to do and see (quite apart from the ladies), I think that the rest of Thailand has so much more to offer for the young and adventurous, that I wouldn’t waste my time in Pattaya.  But that is my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mobi said:

All developments and so-called makeovers to date have been carried out by corrupt local authorities who employ their mates who haven't the first inkling of how to do it properly and then pocket half the budget.

But it can be done properly. Just look at the futuristic Bangkok Malls if you need examples of what can be done to world-class standards.

There's plenty of know-how in Thailand to do what is necessary - even if they need to recruit foreign engineers to help them make it happen.

If the C P Group, or the Central Group, or others of a similar calibre, had it their minds to expand their interests into beach resorts - and I believe they will one day - then it will happen. They have enough money and influence to gain the necessary support from the government and military. These guys are in a different universe to the bunch of buffoons who currently run most of Thailand's tourist towns.

For many years now, it has been every Thai government's stated aim to take Pattaya upmarket. I agree that so far not much has happened, but that doesn't mean to say it won't happen one day. The abortion that is Pattaya and Phuket today will not be allowed to fester forever. Most Thais hate Pattaya and are ashamed of what goes on here, especially so publicly.

I lived in Thailand a time when none of the Bangkok Taxis had meters, and thousands of tuk-tuks were allowed to roam the streets uncontrolled, belching out their two-stoke fumes everywhere. They all said it would never change - but it did.

Quite apart from the Bangkok Beer bars that Chuwit demolished back in 2003, most people forget that the Sukhumvit Road, near to Asoke, was littered with ugly beer bars - some stretching back several blocks deep. But they have now all disappeared. The area where Terminal 21 is now is now located used to be jam-packed with beer bars - and it wasn't that long ago.

And don't forget the blot on the landscape that was Washington Square - what a dump, with the only living things around to keep you company when you sipped your warm beer were a couple of friendly rats.

The final lot of seedy beer bars to go will be the ones on Soi 22, and who can say what the long term future is for Nana Plaza and Cowboy. Things do change, but they take time, often far too long, but they tend to get there in the end.

But clearly we are not going to agree on this, so let's just wait and see...

As for the enlightened comments on the number of backpackers in Pattaya – may I offer my thanks for all the input, some interesting stuff.

To be honest, while I would be the last to deter backpackers from coming here, and indeed there is plenty here to do and see (quite apart from the ladies), I think that the rest of Thailand has so much more to offer for the young and adventurous, that I wouldn’t waste my time in Pattaya.  But that is my opinion.

Care to provide some evidence of beer bars in the Asoke/ Terminal 21 area?

To my recollection there were none there. There were a lot under the expressway, and the ones you mention being illegally destroyed where there is now a nice park, plus some more or less opposite them, but in the Asoke area????????

You may not have liked Washington Square, and I didn't go there, but it was a favourite for many. It certainly wasn't as bad as you claim.

No one is disputing that. Central is proof, but the bigger question is why would they? Nothing about Pattaya is worth destroying the existing place for another Bangkok clone.

Most Thais hate Pattaya and are ashamed of what goes on here, especially so publicly.

You just destroyed your credibility with that erroneous statement.

Thousands of Thais flock to Pattaya on weekends, and why would they be ashamed of something that Thai men are so keen on? Nothing goes on in Pattaya that doesn't happen on Sukhumvit between 3 and Asoke, and they are not closing that down. Don't seem ashamed of it either.

You come across as one that has "invested" in Pattaya real estate and are trying to talk it up to make a profit. That may be incorrect, but it sure seems like it.

I have not invested in Pattaya real estate - don't even own a single home here.

I lived in Bangkok for years and can assure you that the area around Asoke was awash with beer bars, and loads more between Asoke and soi 13 - all gone. I even remember walking around when they closed huge sections of it off and the bar furniture etc was all smashed up.

I used to love Washington Square - one of my favourite drinking spots in Thailand - but nobody can say it wasn't a filthy dump.

All this shows that you have no idea who you are debating with and every assumption you make is very wide of the mark.

I was simply illustrating that things that happen in Bangkok can easily happen here, as you seem to be saying it will never happen.

As for Thais being ashamed of Pattaya  it is an established fact - read the Thai forums if you don't believe me. Just because a certain types of young rich Thais come flocking to Central Dept store on high days and holidays doesn't mean they like the place - it just demonstrates the fickle nature of Thais and their delight in putting their toes in the city of sin for a day out.

Most would rather come to the Dark Side than be seen dead in Pattaya. there's a hotel not far from me that has dozens staying there every weekend.

I don't know why you keep arguing the toss - you have your views I have mine... we shall wait and see who is right and who is wrong. Shall we call it a draw for now?

15 hours ago, Mobi said:

Can we get back to backpackers, please...:smile:

Sure.

We don't want them in Pattaya, blocking the already crowded pavements with their huge backpacks, encouraging even more road blocking hawker stalls selling banana pancakes, and promoting horrid so called music in the bars that will spring up to cater to them.

There will be conflict on the beaches as they protest their "rights" to lie on the sand without paying the beach chair guys. There will be conflict on the streets as the female variety get in the face of farangs with their oh so much younger and oh so much more attractive temporary girlfriends. There will be conflict between the bagpacker guys and their "girlfriends" when the guys are caught admiring the local totty.

Drug problems will increase no end, and even more criminals will flock to Pattaya to take advantage of the rich pickings.

Frankly, anyone been to Had Rin or Pai knows that we don't want their kind in Pattaya.

They already ruined the most beautiful beach in Thailand, no need to let them anywhere near another one.

No matter how bad Pattaya became, I always comforted myself that at least the bagpackers weren't around to make it even worse.

Edited by thaibeachlovers