BKK Observations: The Day and Days After....

TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

I saw something worth mentioning regarding that when I drove from and to work yesterday and the same when I was out this morning.

90% wore black, white or possibly grey, or their standard uniforms if they had to do that. It's not the percentage that is important, what is important is that every single one that did NOT follow this were lower to middle working class

We should look at when the middle class accepts to go back to normal clothes and follow that

Perhaps the "lower to middle working class" simply do not have the spare cash to purchase "proper" mourning clothes to wear just for the next few weeks?

People living from hand to mouth have to consider where best to spend their money - nothing whatsoever to do with respect for the King or lack thereof.

Patrick

52 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

Perhaps the "lower to middle working class" simply do not have the spare cash to purchase "proper" mourning clothes to wear just for the next few weeks?

People living from hand to mouth have to consider where best to spend their money - nothing whatsoever to do with respect for the King or lack thereof.

Patrick

Yes, absolutely. And the Thai's of course know that and accept and respect it too. 

I didn't mean any disrespect to them whatsoever

I more wrote what I did as a hard nudge to foreigners to please respect the mourning period (the best part of a month)

Edited by MikeyIdea

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

The funeral itself likely won't happen for months, as I understand it. 

More than a year I bet (after the mourning period).

Just looked up the WiKi (my own memories faded):

The funeral for his sister in 2008 was more than 10 months after her death.

Took 6 days and cost about 300 million Baht.

Add a substantial amount to these numbers.

The funeral of the sister. Browse through to get an idea of what will come.

Video as link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf_sdK3318M

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, tartempion said:

Many people upset yesterday here in the village with the lack of news on TV, only historical photo's, no news on the Bangkok funeral proceedings or any news about what's happening elsewhere on the planet whilst we are at it.
Not a smart move in my opinion.

Two thoughts on your comment:

1. I too have been amazed by the apparent lack of public information (at least in English) on public access (or not) to the Grand Palace for whatever things they're going to be allow to be public there. I posted info on that topic from Channel News Asia here in this thread earlier today. But that was the first I'd seen of it anywhere. Had seen nothing on that subject elsewhere here on TV, in the Bangkok Post, or in The Nation.

2. I know the Thai people love...   But I seriously think, if they have to go a full month with no lakorns on TV, the whole country's going to go bonkers!!!  Unless they can get their fill via YouTube or LineTV or similar. There was a The Nation article posted earlier today saying YouTube was going to be blocked, but I haven't seen that happen as yet.

BTW, oddly in contrast to the supermarket sales ban, seeing pretty much nothing different occurring this weekend with individuals bars and restaurants in terms of them serving drinks. As I was out and around today, I didn't notice any of the usual places around my neighborhood being dry. And in fact, one big farang pub near my home that had closed Thursday night and Friday was back open today.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Guidelines-issued-for-all-broadcast-and-print-medi-30297709.html

YouTube will shutdown for at least seven days while other websites must be grey and other Thai media outlets will likely follow the government announcement.

BTW, despite this above report from The Nation re YouTube earlier today, at least with my 3BB internet as of tonight, YouTube at present is normally accessible from within Thailand.

Finally some clarity on just what the Grand Palace visitation situation is going to be:

The Bureau of the Royal Household announced on Saturday that members of the public are allowed to enter Dusit Throne Hall in the Grand Palace to pay respect to the late His Majesty the King as of October 28 starting at 1 pm.

However before October 28, members of the public are allowed to pay respect to the portrait of HM the King at Sala Sahathai Samakhom pavilion in the Grand Palace every day between 8.30 am and 4 pm. Books of condolence are made available for the mourners to sign and to express their sorrow.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dusit-throne-hall-open-public-pay-respect-hm-king/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just a few observations on what is, and is not, appropriate. The word 'entertainment' encompasses a very wide rage of activities; from a night spent an-ogling and more in Nana Plaza to a chamber music recital. There is a huge range of classical music that is suitable for these sad days - from Bach , Mozart Haydn and  Beethoven to Bruckner, Mahler, Elgar and Shostakovitch and beyond. His Late Majesty was a lover of jazz as a musician, composer and listener, so why not commemorate his love of the music with the music of his favourite artists. There are also plenty of uplifting films that could Be shown on TV; To Kill a Mockingbird, Great Expectations, and Chariots of Fire immediately come to mind. Throughout history music has played an important part in mourning and coping with grief, from solemn requiems to New Orleans funerals. So let us make a joyful noise as in our hearts we grieve.

I think the point being raised was, the seeming double standard of having supermarkets ban alcohol sales for the entire weekend (prior to the Buddhist holiday) when bars/pubs/restaurants were still allowed to sell.

And indeed, someone looking for a drink and other entertainment over the past weekend could mozy down to Soi Cowboy and be "served" in various ways. But you couldn't buy a beer to bring home from Tesco, Tops, 7/11, etc.

How is it a double standard? As I understand it, the supermarkets are doing this as a voluntary gesture. In either case, the country is grieving - is it really appropriate to be splitting hairs about where you can buy a beer right now? 

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Funny they all decided to do it as a "voluntary" effort at the same time, in the same way.

BTW, I didn't broach the issue, but was just responding to your post and the several others that preceded it.

Not really - they were all prompted by the same event. Very little funny about that.

Sometimes this place gives the impression that expats care about little else but beer and getting their end away. What a sad state of affairs.

And meanwhile, on the subject of dress code standards...

Authorities are also urging calm as social media throbs with criticism of people who aren't wearing black and white clothing to mourn the revered monarch and some arch-royalists take to reprimanding people in public.

A government spokesman said some Thais can't afford mourning clothes and stressed the need for tolerance. High-profile figures such as Bhumibol's eldest child, Princess Ubolratana, and a daughter of Thaksin Shinawatra, a former prime minister who lives in exile after being ousted in a 2006 coup, used social media to urge Thais not to rush to judgment.

AND

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/16/ultra-royalists-guilt-shame-people-dont-wear-mourning-black/

I am arriving in BKK on Friday and will be based there for 7 weeks. 

Am just wondering about dress code expectations for foreigners. Is it black or dark clothing throughout the 30 day mourning period or is there reasonable leeway here? I will bring some dark clothing but if I wanted to wear something else, say a white or blue polo with smart shorts or blue Levi's is this reasonable?

Cheers..

23 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

I am arriving in BKK on Friday and will be based there for 7 weeks. 

Am just wondering about dress code expectations for foreigners. Is it black or dark clothing throughout the 30 day mourning period or is there reasonable leeway here? I will bring some dark clothing but if I wanted to wear something else, say a white or blue polo with smart shorts or blue Levi's is this reasonable?

Cheers..

As a foreigner you will get away with most things... 

However, wishing to remain respectful - dark and subdued colours should be worn - I think thats fair enough. 

If you chose to wear something other than Black (or very dark Blue) then perhaps a Black armband or Crossed Ribbon pinned on your shirt would be suitable. 

I've been wearing Black (or very dark Blue) T-Shirts and White Shorts (as casual wear).

I think at the Beach its a little different, but in Towns & Cities many people will be making the effort to maintain the 'respectful' code expected of society, although its clear some don't or can't, the majority are.

There are many Thais on a short fuse  and I would not want to be the one they go off on ,

We have already seen that in the news reports ,  and I think there will be many more

for the next few weeks wear black ,  stay respectful  and do not do anything to stand out ,

Stop wearing black when more than 50% of the Thais stop,

You are viewing History in the making ,  there are no rule books  on how they will do things

celebrate the Kings good works  and do acts of kindness in His memory......

15 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

There are many Thais on a short fuse  and I would not want to be the one they go off on ,

We have already seen that in the news reports ,  and I think there will be many more

for the next few weeks wear black ,  stay respectful  and do not do anything to stand out ,

Don't do anything to stand out.....well this guy certainly did! Wonder if he has  work permit to do his volunteering work? Doing a good deed while standing out in the press isn't good as a foreigner

Was out and around in BKK today, almost a week after the day.

The two biggest things I noticed were:

--Around the business and central downtown areas of BKK, the proportion of Thai people (and I guess I'm talking mainly working/office job type folks) wearing mourning black seems to have increased somewhat over what it was during the first couple days after the death.  Perhaps it's taken people a few days to get their mourning wardrobes up to speed. In our case, the wife already had some black, but not enough to conveniently maintain a daily work "mourning" wardrobe, so we went out and did some added "black" shopping this past weekend.

--A really eerie (because it's so different from the norm) but very pleasant sense of relative quiet seems to have settled over the city that's normally a raucous, ear-splitting place. As I walked around today, for the most part, gone was the nearly universal blaring music and other audio that hits you in malls, while waiting in Skytrain stations, even from businesses walking along the street. Maybe I was dreaming, but it felt like I wasn't even hearing as many of the GD'd security guard/traffic directing whistles as normal. This is definitely a change I could get used to, if only it would be permanent.