Extending beyond Cat O validity

My annual Cat O expires soon. I had to make a major expense inside the 90 day window for funds, so there is a two week gap between expiry and fiduciary compliance.

I know I could just cross a border and get a 14 day stamp. Is there an option that does not require travel? Can I get the 'same' 14 days at my local immigration office? Or am I forced to physically cross a border?

Many thanks.

You are apparently applying  an extension of stay at immigration not a visa. Since you mention 90 days seasoning I assume it is for retirement.

Unless you are married to a Thai the longest extension you can get is 7 days  to leave the country.

Just doing a border hop for a 15 day entry ( 30 if from a G7 country) would not help since you will need a new non-o visa entry to apply for a new extension.

If you wanted to a apply for a conversion to a non immigrant (catagory O) visa at immigration you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry.

Your best option is to go out for a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

Hi Joe. Thanks for your super fast response, again...

I am married to a Thai, my visa is of the Cat O Non-Imm marriage variety.  I do my 90-day exits/entries on the last day, and my visa ran out 80 days ago. I am on the last days of my 90 entry stamp. The last time I mis-read my 90-day stamp, I arrived 2 days overstayed and was given 14 days on reentry. This is what leads me to believe I can repeat that process without the overstay (or surprise at my mistake).

Also I could just leave for 2 weeks, but I'd rather not stay in a hotel, or impose on friends, in Singapore for that long... I have sufficient funds in a Singapore account, but last year when I applied I was told "you need the funds in Thailand next time." I don't see anything new to support that on the embassy site, but don't want to risk it without definitive evidence. I will call them tomorrow to confirm/deny that.

Thanks again.

If your married to a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay.

p.s. Assuming your aim is to apply for a 1 year extension of stay you should be able to do that within the last 30 days of the 60.

Edited by elviajero

38 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Hi Joe. Thanks for your super fast response, again...

I am married to a Thai, my visa is of the Cat O Non-Imm marriage variety.  I do my 90-day exits/entries on the last day, and my visa ran out 80 days ago. I am on the last days of my 90 entry stamp. The last time I mis-read my 90-day stamp, I arrived 2 days overstayed and was given 14 days on reentry. This is what leads me to believe I can repeat that process without the overstay (or surprise at my mistake).

Also I could just leave for 2 weeks, but I'd rather not stay in a hotel, or impose on friends, in Singapore for that long... I have sufficient funds in a Singapore account, but last year when I applied I was told "you need the funds in Thailand next time." I don't see anything new to support that on the embassy site, but don't want to risk it without definitive evidence. I will call them tomorrow to confirm/deny that.

Thanks again.

Skip getting your visa in Singapore and go to Savannakhet Laos to get it with no financial proof needed.

Well Wow! Blown away!

Outstanding news - guess I don't look around here enough!

Thanks Joe!

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Skip getting your visa in Singapore and go to Savannakhet Laos to get it with no financial proof needed.

Elviajero, Thanks for your input. I am not applying for extension. My Mrs refuses to dance through those hoops for me... can't have everything I guess!

Cheers.

1 hour ago, DualSportBiker said:

Well Wow! Blown away!

Outstanding news - guess I don't look around here enough!

Thanks Joe!

Elviajero, Thanks for your input. I am not applying for extension. My Mrs refuses to dance through those hoops for me... can't have everything I guess!

Cheers.

What 'hoops' does the lady think she has to dance through?   Her role, for all practical purposes is limited to accompanying you to the immigration office if/when you apply for an extension of stay.

2 hours ago, Fithman said:

What 'hoops' does the lady think she has to dance through?   Her role, for all practical purposes is limited to accompanying you to the immigration office if/when you apply for an extension of stay.

We read the process docs together and her hackles went up at the requirement for extra paperwork, photos and potential visits... No biggie. I get to ride to Mae Sot every 90 days, have Moei fish, see my buddies up there, take two days off work and keep my bike from getting bored with me...

12 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

We read the process docs together and her hackles went up at the requirement for extra paperwork, photos and potential visits... No biggie. I get to ride to Mae Sot every 90 days, have Moei fish, see my buddies up there, take two days off work and keep my bike from getting bored with me...

Could you not extend your stay on the basis of retirement instead of marriage? Or are you under 50 and/or don't have the required financials?

7 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Paranoid question... My marriage to my Thai wife was in HK. We have certified docs, stamped et al by the Thai embassy in HK... Changes nothing in Savannakhet right?

As long as your marriage certificate is in English or Thai it will accepted.

• Like 1