Pigeons

Hedghog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes Thailands other problem next to dogs, i expect anything you do to them by locals  will be deemed offensive and these things are now spreading rapidly, in the Uk id shoot  them dead in seconds with an air  rifle.

Here the locals supply enough food for them to breed unlimited, wait till the house gets them nest in the  roof and  the amount of crap they produce is disgusting. They are flying rats

The  Thais will do nothing to fix  this problem and you will be the only complainer unless a  serious  outbreak of something occurs implying pigeons and then years too late they will try and fix  the problem.

Pigeon spikes are available at GLOBAL HOUSE diy, youll have to stick them on the roof or when the bloody things roost.

I do hear that Carbosulfan pesticide in granule form will kill a bird with just one grain..banned in Europe and the U.S

Edited by kannot

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I do hear that Carbosulfan pesticide in granule form will kill a bird with just one grain..banned in Europe and the U.S

I read somewhere  that it might be Carbofuran that kills with one grain.   Perhaps both do but I recall the statement that Carbofuran can kill with one grain.

There is an article in the NY Times about how the transport authority used recorded sounds to fend off pigeons.   You would need an outdoor rated speaker for 24 hour use.  This can be bought and installed cheaply in Thailand.  Can see the ThaiTech headlines now "Farang puts down air rifle in favor of non intrusive technology" along with the reports on the latest consumer crap.  

Many years ago when I came to Thailand, we expats that was living in a closed community at the time near farmland, we all wondered why there was no bird song in the mornings...it was completely dead silent.

Then somebody who had asked a Thai colleague at the site we where working at, informed that there was very few birds in the area because the locals kill them for food using everything from guns, rifles and slingshots to traps.

Nowadays the living standards have improved a lot for the locals since those days and birds are plentiful in the mornings and singing almost to the point I want to go out and kill some with a slingshot. Nowadays I still occasionally see some old school farmers out and about with some old musket (yes the kind you only see in Disney cartoons with a flared muzzle, you know the one with Bugs Bunny and the red beard) hunting birds.

So yes it is ok to kill birds but do it discreetly. If someone asks say you'r doing it to eat them, that will be ok.  I for one would like to wrangle the neck of one of my neighbors cock.

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Lovley in a pie. Have to confess to having a few pies every couple of months?

More power to you Deep.      I'd have trouble swallowing the first bite as I  wouldn't be able to forget their description as flying rats.   NO offense meant to the rat community.

I lived in a major metropolitan community that passed an ordinance banning the feeding of pigeons as it was determined they seriously posed  a health issue.   I admit I only saw one person ticketed for feedings them.

I live in a gated community and my neighbor regularly  feeds them.   There's quite a flock of them here now.  

Once when one of the guards came by as the neighbor  fed the birds the guard said to the Missus unapprovingly  "he should not be feeding them".

Someone once told me pigeons can't crap while they're flying.   If true, thank God or nature for that  part of evolution.

For damn sure that's not the case with sea gulls.

20 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Lovley in a pie. Have to confess to having a few pies every couple of months?

Get a cat one adopted us about 2 years agoshe gets food and a bit of attention not allowed in the house but spends time on the roof whenever the pidgeons arrive so no roosting on house ?

9 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

More power to you Deep.      I'd have trouble swallowing the first bite as I  wouldn't be able to forget their description as flying rats.   NO offense meant to the rat community.

I lived in a major metropolitan community that passed an ordinance banning the feeding of pigeons as it was determined they seriously posed  a health issue.   I admit I only saw one person ticketed for feedings them.

I live in a gated community and my neighbor regularly  feeds them.   There's quite a flock of them here now.  

Once when one of the guards came by as the neighbor  fed the birds the guard said to the Missus unapprovingly  "he should not be feeding them".

Someone once told me pigeons can't crap while they're flying.   If true, thank God or nature for that  part of evolution.

For damn sure that's not the case with sea gulls.

Staple diet when I was young. Taste delicious if cooked correctly. Very tender and free.

5 minutes ago, gwynt said:

Get a cat one adopted us about 2 years agoshe gets food and a bit of attention not allowed in the house but spends time on the roof whenever the pidgeons arrive so no roosting on house ?

Problem with cats is they destroy the pigeon. I find a good catapult or a bb gun even a made up cage trap does the buisness

Thanks for the replies.

Obviously not a localised problem.

I posed the question,as I hmm accidently caught some in a sticky rat trap,they had to be despatched as could not be released.

I am now intending a mass placement of said traps.

So was trying to get the lay of the land,so too speak.

My landlady is in agreement,so game on.

13 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Staple diet when I was young. Taste delicious if cooked correctly. Very tender and free.

How many of them did it take to make a filling meal for you?    I was once offered a meal of sparrows in some remote place in Greece.    Had I been hungry I suppose it would have taken  half a dozen or more to satisfy me.

Do you still eat Pigeons and if  not, why not?

Edited by watcharacters

22 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Airsoft rifle.

Silent and will just piss them off so they go annoy someone else. Also a great way to pass time with a couple of beers!

Airsoft ineffective,pellet gun works,but I don't own one.

Though have found a seller of such

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

How many of them did it take to make a filling meal for you?    I was once offered a meal of sparrows in some remote place in Greece.    Had I been hungry I suppose it would have taken  half a dozen or more to satisfy me.

Do you still eat Pigeons and if  not, why not?

Meal for two ie pidgeon pie three or four dependent on size is sufficient for us. Will always eat pidgeons/rabbit when I find them. 

7 minutes ago, Hedghog said:

Airsoft ineffective,pellet gun works,but I don't own one.

Though have found a seller of such

Airsoft do work. They do not kill the pigeons (with the odd exception) but after shooting them a couple of times they stay away. Talking from experience. 

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Put a big bowl of uncook rice out, let them enjoy themselves, once the rice gets digested and wet the suckers belly will expand and bang. The problem with this though they will flock make a mess but in time.....:thumbsup:

That's is a myth.  They actually will love to eat the uncooked rice and more pigeon will come to the feast.

What problems are the pigeons causing on your roof?  Surely the rain will just wash the poop away?

Poisoning them is very cruel and they die slowly and a lot of suffering.  Also any animals.. cat, dog, wildlife, that eats the dead pigeon will also get poisoned. 

There are 2 good options if you really don't like them on your roof.  Shoot them... get someone with good aim to kill a few.. and the others will soon move off to another resting place after a few days of that.  The other option is the scare them frequently.. they will again decided its better to rest in a more peaceful place.  Scare them with loud bangs, fireworks, even waving a flag or brightly coloured material about near them.

I don't understand why people don't like these birds, so long as they are not actually nesting inside your roof and making mess. 

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

That's is a myth.  They actually will love to eat the uncooked rice and more pigeon will come to the feast.

What problems are the pigeons causing on your roof?  Surely the rain will just wash the poop away?

Poisoning them is very cruel and they die slowly and a lot of suffering.  Also any animals.. cat, dog, wildlife, that eats the dead pigeon will also get poisoned. 

There are 2 good options if you really don't like them on your roof.  Shoot them... get someone with good aim to kill a few.. and the others will soon move off to another resting place after a few days of that.  The other option is the scare them frequently.. they will again decided its better to rest in a more peaceful place.  Scare them with loud bangs, fireworks, even waving a flag or brightly coloured material about near them.

I don't understand why people don't like these birds, so long as they are not actually nesting inside your roof and making mess. 

Tried the loud bangs for two weeks,even small rockets.

Also for now fireworks can't be used.

The constant coo cooing and scratching trying to get in the roof space,along with the filth,is my reason to get rid of them

16 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Because as another poster said they are flying rats and carry diseases, do not have to nest inside the roof if they nest/roost on the roof their droppings will damage the building that is why in the UK most cities have bylaws making it an offence to feed pigeons

They are disgusting pests but Thais won't do anything because  it's "wrong to kill"  but they go home stuff themselves with pork and chicken that someone else killed for them. The only good pigeon is a dead one but with all the food left out and the inability of nearly every condo manager to control where they nest it's a losing battle. As a poster said after soi dogs these vermin are the worst.