Foreign tourism unaffected by recent events, says ministry

webfact

Foreign tourism unaffected by recent events, says ministry

p3.jpg

Picture: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- The level of foreign tourism will be unaffected by the passing of His Majesty, said the tourism ministry yesterday.

Figures announced for the first part of this year show an increase in arrivals of somewhere between 12% and 16% and this is expected to continue in the second half of the year, reports tnamcot.

Any lessening of tourism will be internal from Thais who do not wish to travel during the period of mourning for the king.

Thanasak Patimaprakorn was speaking to reporters yesterday after a ministerial level meeting to discuss tourism.

He said that in the first six months of the year there were 24.28 million visitors who spent 1.23 trillion baht in the tourism sector. This represented an increase of between 12% and 16%.

He said that in the second half of the year this is expected to rise to as high as 32 million visitors. 

Thanasak referred to improvements in how Chinese tourism was being organized - a clear reference to the crackdown on the practice known as "zero dollar" tourism.

Plans are also underway over the next few years for developments in tourism between neighboring Laos and the province of Loei in the north east.

Thanasak said that the TAT has prepared information for tourists regarding the observance and customs during the mourning period that would give advice on appropriate dress at various places in the kingdom.

Black ribbons are set to be handed out at the airport and tourist sites.

Plans for the Loy Krathong celebration next month should be largely unaffected by recent events, he added. 

The only major changes are that loud music such as concerts would not take place and "Nang Noppamas" beauty contests would be cancelled as a mark of respect.  

Light shows and candle lighting according to local traditions would continue.

Loy Krathong is marked on the full moon day on November 14th this year.

Source: tnamcot

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-21

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There you go, simple. You are advised to wear black or a free black ribbon given out at the airport, you don't have to wear them. Advice is not law. All is open as usual. Now time for travel blogger's, foreign media and other sources of information on Thai tourism to inform that to potential tourists. Yes, lots of events such as concerts are canceled but everything else isn't.

Yeeeeees!

I will not even comment on this BS, anymore!

The whole BS -insular- thinking, makes me mad!

"We say, it is okay- therefore it is! Everybody thinks, everything Thailand does is just grrrrreat!"

Quite obviously will have an effect but as many book in advance and may not have option to cancel it will take time notice effect.

Cancelled concerts and football is huge and reduced inbound numbers.

Tat figured never likely show real world results, they said Chinese spent a lot in amazing figures released over year ago but know finding they cheaper than Charlie lol .

According to friends who own Hotels in three different parts of the country there have been cancelled bookings galore from potential foreign guests.  They are not expecting things to pick up until at least the first month has passed and even then they expect this winters numbers to be down.

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

They couldn't resist it could they, just had to say it !

wait  until  a  few  get  beaten  to  death  for  not wearing  black......thats  ok though according to  the  govt psychologist

16 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

According to friends who own Hotels in three different parts of the country there have been cancelled bookings galore from potential foreign guests.  They are not expecting things to pick up until at least the first month has passed and even then they expect this winters numbers to be down.

clearly  lies i'm surprised  they  havent  closed your friends  place  down  yet and  blocked his  website......its my  duty to  now inform  them of  this...................just  in case, sarcasm intended

Edited by kannot

2 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

If concerts and other events involving loud music are being cancelled, then why are not some of the raucous and invasive loud speaker adverts early in the morning and other times during the day, banned if they are purely commercial anyway? 

Who owns the goods or services being promoted, you might ask

Ministries told to issue brochures instructing tourists during mourning period

311_Tourist.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are instructed to jointly issue handbooks to advise tourists how they should behave while visiting the country at the time when national mourning is observed.

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragon said he has instructed the two ministries to issue brochures advising foreign tourists visiting the country how to behave appropriately during the mourning period of the Thai people.

He said plane tourists arriving in the country will be given black ribbons as well.

Although the country is in the mourning period, he remained confident of this year’s target of 32 million tourist arrivals as tourists from Europe, Middle East and ASEAN continue to come as usual although a slight fall in tourists from the United States.

Minister of  Tourism and Sports Ms Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul stated today that two  big events such as the Bangkok Marathon with over 30,000 people taking part, and the World Jet ski competition to be held next month won’t be cancelled.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ministries-told-to-issue-brochures-instructing-tourists-during-mourning-period/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-21

I don't mind so much that TAT misrepresent the truth.  It's just that they're so bad at it.  

Every good lie has an element of truth to it.  I find nothing said here evenly remotely possible. They might as well have said space alien tourism is picking up.  

Actually this makes sense. Most people plan their trips weeks in advance with penalties for cancellations. And when you throw in having to schedule vacations in advance; it stands to reason that tourism wouldn't be immediately affected. Let's see what things look like in a month or so.

Ministries told to issue brochures instructing tourists during mourning period

311_Tourist.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are instructed to jointly issue handbooks to advise tourists how they should behave while visiting the country at the time when national mourning is observed.

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragon said he has instructed the two ministries to issue brochures advising foreign tourists visiting the country how to behave appropriately during the mourning period of the Thai people.

He said plane tourists arriving in the country will be given black ribbons as well.

Although the country is in the mourning period, he remained confident of this year’s target of 32 million tourist arrivals as tourists from Europe, Middle East and ASEAN continue to come as usual although a slight fall in tourists from the United States.

Minister of  Tourism and Sports Ms Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul stated today that two  big events such as the Bangkok Marathon with over 30,000 people taking part, and the World Jet ski competition to be held next month won’t be cancelled.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ministries-told-to-issue-brochures-instructing-tourists-during-mourning-period/
  thaipbs_logo.jpg -- [emoji767] Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-21

Oops - the Bangkok marathon has already been put back from next month to February next year.

4 minutes ago, Orac said:

Oops - the Bangkok marathon has already been put back from next month to February next year.

Not to worry every day in life is a marathon we all run it. Mine cannot be postponed. Be careful in this heat walk don't run live to fight another day. 

So, in the Thai News Agency article, Deputy PM General Thanasak Patimaprakorn said, "...that in the first six months of the year there were 24.28 million visitors..." !!!

WRONG !!!

In fact, not even close - according to TAT figures (which many would argue are artificially too high) there were 16.6 million visitors recorded during this period (see my plot below).

In fact, the latest figures available from TAT are up to August (see Here), and they list total arrivals for the period Jan-Aug 2016 as 22.4 million (still short of Patimaprakorn's value)! Let's be fair (to him) and say that he was misquoted.

At least he was closer to the money with his "guess" that in the second half of the year the total is expected to rise to as high as 32 million visitors for the twelve-month period. If the period September 2015 - August 2016 is anything to go by, TAT figures recorded 32.2 million visitors over that time.

arrivals_14-16.png

4 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

There you go, simple. You are advised to wear black or a free black ribbon given out at the airport, you don't have to wear them. Advice is not law. All is open as usual. Now time for travel blogger's, foreign media and other sources of information on Thai tourism to inform that to potential tourists. Yes, lots of events such as concerts are canceled but everything else isn't.

As long as my feet hitting the floor tomorrow morning is not cancelled I am good to go. 

1 minute ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Life is a rollercoaster just gotta ride it...
Is Dreamword open?

Yes I escape there every day to get away from the reality of real life. I imagine I am 10 years old with my hand cut wooden pistol looking for my best friend who is playing the bad guy.