May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, i claudius said:

See you said you were not going to post again, and there you go lol.as a matter of fact ime bored with the whole business. Its not Europe i dont like , its the freeloading bastards in Brussels and all the ones who just want to stay so they can feather their own nests

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As apposed to the ones who want to leave to feather their own nests.

That elephant just gets bigger and bigger.

Ireland’s Foreign Minister has said the EU’s most senior leaders have assured him Brexit talks will not move on to the next stage unless the UK gives greater guarantees over the Irish border.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-border-brexit-eu-support-theresa-may-concessions-block-talks-negotiations-simon-coveney-a8078116.html

21 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Great to see that after a few warnings and suspensions at the weekend it has toned this thread down to far more amicable. Lessons learnt i hope. 

I note that a few members may require a few more restrictions on their posting ability.

Please stay on topic.   Banter may be fun, but it is off-topic and it is very distracting for those who are actually reading the thread for information and opinions on the subject.  

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Looks like Liam Fox has just invited the people of Ireland to resolve the problem for them.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liam-fox-brexit-irish-border-northern-ireland-theresa-may-dup-a8076486.html?S2ref=1532332

It would appear that the Government hasn't a clue how to deal with the Irish border issue in any confident way other than to attempt to supposedly use it as a bargaining chip for a trade deal. The UK government has said it doesn't want a hard border, but throw that in with the vaunted claim that Brexit was about the UK controlling its border with the EU and the whole project turns to mush. No wonder the forum Hard Brexiteers don't even go near the negotiations. The real world is too much for them. Crash out much simpler.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It would appear that the Government hasn't a clue how to deal with the Irish border issue in any confident way other than to attempt to supposedly use it as a bargaining chip for a trade deal. The UK government has said it doesn't want a hard border, but throw that in with the vaunted claim that Brexit was about the UK controlling its border with the EU and the whole project turns to mush. No wonder the forum Hard Brexiteers don't even go near the negotiations. The real world is too much for them. Crash out much simpler.

There was an interesting discussion on one of the talking head radio channels this morning, where one of the guests was putting forward the view that the border issue is just the Irish government playing politics. That, as a practicality, it's a non-issue because 99.99% of the commercial vehicles making the cross-border run make the same runs day-in day-out, week-in week-out,  and can be regulated with an absolute minimum of fuss.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

There was an interesting discussion on one of the talking head radio channels this morning, where one of the guests was putting forward the view that the border issue is just the Irish government playing politics. That, as a practicality, it's a non-issue because 99.99% of the commercial vehicles making the cross-border run make the same runs day-in day-out, week-in week-out,  and can be regulated with an absolute minimum of fuss.

I thought the whole thing was about taking control of our borders to stop immigration not about trade? How can the border be open? that can let anybody in.

So the blame game begins it's the Republic and/ or the EU of course. 

48 minutes ago, adammike said:

I thought the whole thing was about taking control of our borders to stop immigration not about trade? How can the border be open? that can let anybody in.

So the blame game begins it's the Republic and/ or the EU of course. 

Sorry, but you missed the point I was making: that we can have a defined border which is hassle-free for regular users.

Continuing attempts by Project Fear to disrupt brexit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42142882

The government is, sensibly, withholding sensitive information pertaining to the ongoing brexit negotiations because the committee which demanded to see the relevant reports will not give any assurances about confidentiality on said sensitive information. Guess who is all over this like a rash? Keir Starmer, the dodgy lawyer who was parachuted into the parliamentary Labour party by Project Fear.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Continuing attempts by Project Fear to disrupt brexit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42142882

The government is, sensibly, withholding sensitive information pertaining to the ongoing brexit negotiations because the committee which demanded to see the relevant reports will not give any assurances about confidentiality on said sensitive information. Guess who is all over this like a rash? Keir Starmer, the dodgy lawyer who was parachuted into the parliamentary Labour party by Project Fear.

The only thing sensitive about the Government's current negotiations is the empty pot.

3 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Well we know all those on the EU gravy train so please do tell is all those who will gain by leaving

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Has it really never occurred to you why all the Komodo Cons are so keen to leave?

Low corporation tax

Relaxed animal welfare standards

Relaxed employment regulations 

Relaxed environment standards

Reduced pensions

Relaxed building regs

Shall I go on?

Do you think all these Dyson and Bamford types are philanthropists at heart?

Some people need to wake up ....

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Has it really never occurred to you why all the Komodo Cons are so keen to leave?

Low corporation tax

Reduced pensions

Relaxed building regs

Shall I go on?

Shall I go on?  Well you do tend to quite a lot.

Your hard evidence for your claims?

Dyson and Bamford are Industrialists (Capitalists) not Philanthropists, I suppose you could argue that they are Philanthropists in the sense that without their businesses a lot of people would not be able to  pay their rent/mortgage or put food on the table. But that's ok, unemployed people are always happier knowing some Capitalist is not taking advantage of them, aren't they.

Jeremy Corbyn is appealing to you more an more isn't he?  As a matter of interest why would Dyson and Bamford be any different post Brexit?

By the way! Welcome back! We have missed you!:smile:

• Like 1

Low corporation tax
Reduced pensions
Relaxed building regs

Shall I go on?

The interesting thing about Dyson was he was all for the EU a few years back argued strongly for us to join the Euro and threatened to move jobs out of the UK to Malaysia if we didn’t sign up for it which he subsequently went through with. The reason for moving the jobs was given some time later as being turned down for planning permission for a factory expansion at Malmesbury by his local authority however no copy of the planning application appears to exist....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Low corporation tax

Reduced pensions

Relaxed building regs

Shall I go on?

Thought you had stopped posting Grouse ,

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Grouse said:

Low corporation tax

Reduced pensions

Relaxed building regs

Shall I go on?

Good morning Grouse, Always a pleasure.

Did you know, we already have most of the items on your list coupled with a dollop of austerity.

I would imagine the benefits of 'remaining' would go to big corporations, BBC, News media, Banksters, and government.

Whilst small businesses, and workers suffer from VAT on fuel and

thing like stupid vegetable regulations.etc.

'Tough Talk' is an example of media hype..negotiations are easier when there is good will on both sides.

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

Reduced pensions

How would this be done?

I've seen proposals about extending the age for new pensioners vs. additional taxes; and reduction of benefits through a devaluing securities base (stock-based pension distribution) that would affect current and future pensions.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

How would this be done?

I've seen proposals about extending the age for new pensioners vs. additional taxes; and reduction of benefits through a devaluing securities base (stock-based pension distribution) that would affect current and future pensions.

However, if the percentage increase in pensions is below the rate of inflation, there will be a real reduction in pensions or a real loss of income. If the pension recipient lives abroad, e.g. Thailand still has the effect of exchange rates and the corresponding rate of inflation in the country of residence.
Many retirees who live in Thailand know these effects.
For many years, there has been a loss of purchasing power by European pensioners in Thailand.
Whether this trend is reversed by Brexit now, everyone can think for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

How would this be done?

I have seen suggestions that the UK state pension should be means tested

• Thanks 1