May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The High Commissioner's father was also High Commissioner at the time the UK joined up. A certain amount of schadenfreude or revenge coming into play methinks!

Your methinks have got yourself into trouble before.:smile:

You do realise, don't you, this article was published in the Independent, your journalistic Bible....shame on them I say.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

The High Commissioner's father was also High Commissioner at the time the UK joined up. A certain amount of schadenfreude or revenge coming into play methinks!

I don't believe the Ozzys are into revenge like the EU... She'll be right mate.   My wombats got his eye on you mate.

Edited by talahtnut
typo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

I don't believe the Ozzys are into revenge like the EU... She'll be right mate.   My wombats got his eye on you mate.

It says a lot when people prefer words of wisdom from Barnier and Juncker  who don't know Christmas from Bourke Street and our ozzie friends.

It's  London to a brick mate as our friends would say.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aright said:

I think this is called a quid pro quo but aren't all trade deals like that, even in a Pattays bar. 

The likelihood is you would claim the same for any country we wanted to have trade talks with. Its called Capitalism.

Oh really? All trade deals are like that? Like what exactly? Like we'll do free trade with you if you do free trade with us and if the nature of respective economies is such that it will massively work to our benefit, well, we'll make the sacrifice. For every 5 pounds worth of stuff we sell to you, you'll sell us 1.  I guess that's quid pro quo of a sort. They get most of the quid and you get a quotient of it.

Only the blinkered would think that it is better to have your customers half way round the world rather than on your doorstep.

Love thy neighbour?

UK trade relationships are usually stronger with neighbouring countries, as well as countries with large economies. China and the US are large economies and important UK trading partners, even accounting for their distance from us.

However, distance is important. The value of the UK’s trading relationship with Ireland is higher than the value of UK trade with Italy or Spain, even though the total size of Ireland’s economy is much smaller than Italy’s or Spain’s.

https://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-trade-partners/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Oh really? All trade deals are like that? Like what exactly? Like we'll do free trade with you if you do free trade with us and if the nature of respective economies is such that it will massively work to our benefit, well, we'll make the sacrifice. For every 5 pounds worth of stuff we sell to you, you'll sell us 1.  I guess that's quid pro quo of a sort. They get most of the quid and you get a quotient of it.

12 hours ago, aright said:

You really do need to look up the meaning of quid pro quo. In its simplest terms it means "something for something" 

I wouldn't want you on my negotiation team, we haven't even started negotiations yet but you already know the outcome.

It is unfortunate that most Brexiteers are actually incapable of progressing much beyond the simplistic. And when it comes to Latin, well.... In trade the phrase implies exchange of equivalents. The trouble with the Brexiteers is that they tend to copy and paste the first thing that they think backs up whatever they are burbling at the time. The laziness is not digging a little bit deeper. And that is why we are here to help. :cool:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whilst it's always heart-warming to watch you and grouse congratulate each other on your self-perceived superiority - the insults towards those with a different opinion detracts from the discussion.

Like everyone else, I can't be bothered to discuss posts that rely entirely on insults - as per the above post.

I would get involved with the insulting but I am facing a ban ( well deserved I might add).

16 hours ago, talahtnut said:

When lizzie pops her clogs and they decide to vote about becoming a republic their real thinking about the poms will become clear.The commonwealth are starting to discuss who will be their head when she dies.her corgies are watching you. 

• Like 1

BREXITEER MP Nigel Evans said Remainers were on their "last death rattle" in their attempts to thwart Brexit after International Trade Secretary Liam Fox announced Britain had signed several multi-billion deals with China.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/913105/Brexit-news-latest-update-today-Liam-Fox-China-trade-deal-UK-EU-European-Union-video

Why on earth would China want to buy from the UK when they can source elsewhere. My niece often brings me pate and cheese from China, all good quality, of Russian origin and about a quarter of the price of similar product in the UK. Last time she also brought a couple of the large(150g) packets of Mackies crisps, Whisky and Haggis and Smokey Bacon flavours. Made in Scotland and sold in China at about 40% of the price, obviously partial to some UK product but are domestic customers subsidising exports. 

If that is happening now in non EU trade it does not bode well for the future.

If China has made a deal it will be for a reason and it is almost certain the UK will not be the greatest beneficiary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

If you stop insulting other members I think you won't have to 'brown nose' the mods.

Where's the fun in that? Mind you I should just leave the insulting to Boris he has managed to have a pop at us million Brits who come to Thailand each year,on the other hand he has promised us cheap air fares to go on stag does and such like.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43073701

This should be us

But short termism and bloody shareholder value has destroyed our industry. Great idea!

Look at our aviation history: Comet, Lightning, Concorde, Vulcan, WHERE ARE WE NOW???

I watched a documentary about the newly built Pacific Peppercon Class locomotive "Peppercorn" on a 100 mph qualification run near York. Fabulous!

Some here think I am anti English. You couldn't be further from the truth.

Hitachi Locomotives on the East coast line? I was born in Middlesborough ( which explains much)

AND semiconductors?? We invented the computer for goodness sake!!

The UK is a shadow of what we should be. All this Brexit car s just taking our eye off the ball.

We need to rebuild our real world class manufacturing base. That's going to take investment in both human capital and plant

10 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Leaving the EU may kick start an industrial renaissance..it will have to if it needs

to trade with the world..Bumbling along safely in the Mafia EU, is not the answer.

Bit of a delusional concept. The cost of research in modern technology is prohibitive and a country that cannot afford to support essential services is not going to fare very well.

The UK kicked what lead it had into touch and now only enjoys a slice of the pie through joint ventures, something that is now at risk over a pipe dream.

Brexit was already on the cards when TM put Hinkley Point C in the hands of foreign companies.

From my previous post. "If China has made a deal it will be for a reason and it is almost certain the UK will not be the greatest beneficiary."

•  

11 hours ago, talahtnut said:

In every crisis there is always an opportunity'.

Except for the average Brit. Foreign companies wishing to exploit cheap labour and ultra right labour and pollution less...yes.

Britain could become a grey, chilly Thailand.

Industrial revival? That has to be one of the most ridiculous tthings said on this massive thread. Why is it that Brexiteers base all their cockamamie ideas on the concept of some mythical "return" or revival? A cursory glance and industry around the world will tell you that to be successful you need to be in a union if only for the benefits of scale.

British industry had all but died before they joined the EU and Thatcher put pay to the rest.

It seems that the difference between Brexit and cloud cuckoo land becomes less and less distinguishable by the comment

Edited by Airbagwill

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

We need to rebuild our real world class manufacturing base. That's going to take investment in both human capital and plant

46 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Industrial revival? That has to be one of the most ridiculous tthings said on this massive thread. Why is it that Brexiteers base all their cockamamie ideas on the concept of some mythical "return" or revival? A cursory glance and industry around the world will tell you that to be successful you need to be in a union if only for the benefits of scale.

British industry had all but died before they joined the EU and Thatcher put pay to the rest.

It seems that the difference between Brexit and cloud cuckoo land becomes less and less distinguishable by the comment

Maybe not just Brexiteers living in a delusional revival of the past.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Maybe not just Brexiteers living in a delusional revival of the past.

My outburst was prompted by the good news from Bombardier. I see no reason why the UK should not have a modern, technology driven manufacturing base. Japan and Germany excel at this. Why not the UK. We certainly have the scientific and engineering brains. IMHO, we are let down by our much vaunted bankers and the short termism of our markets. We can't go on living on usury ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 100 years ago the automobile was thought a 'delusional concept', and you would die if you exceeded 30mph..it would never catch on...

On the other hand, remainers, lacking imagination, have continued, desperately flogging the old deceased carthorse.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

A 100 years ago the automobile was thought a 'delusional concept', and you would die if you exceeded 30mph..it would never catch on...

On the other hand, remainers, lacking imagination, have continued, desperately flogging the old deceased carthorse.

Bit of a non sequitur?