May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, aright said:

What? Big responsibilities like filling in at PMQ's and opening fetes and hospitals.

All policy had to be agreed between Cameron, Clegg, Osborne , and Alexander 

"

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, aright said:

This is so obviously true, you can see it happening already. Yesterday Mrs Merkel formed a coalition with the SPD. The SPD only have 153 seats in a Parliament of 709 seats. They only got 20% of the popular vote. To keep herself in power she was forced to give them the key Ministries of Finance and Labour which means they are now controlled by members of  a party who only represent 20% of the voters. Can you see where this is going?

So far we have received no comments from the Remainers about  Mrs Merkels left, right shambles of a coalition when they were so vociferous about Mrs Mays coalition.

You think there is ANY similarity between the SDP and the DUP nutters? Merkel got a shot over the bows for thinking with her heart not her head over the refugee issue. Climbing into bed with the central left (Blairite) SDP is not in any way similar to supping with DUP no matter how long the spoon ??‍♀️

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Another dig at people's intelligence just because of  their views rather than constructive posting. Nobody can predict what any future trade deal will be but Im sure most European manufacturers will push for something that is beneficial to both, lets face it, the opportunities are endless for the UK. Brext is happening, why not embrace the future with vigor rather than harking back to the past 40 years, it makes sense you know deep down it does. 

The views of our Japanese car manufacturers may have some bearing on this? Hard Brexit could hit regions with their plants by as much as 16%! Anybody see smoke out of No10?

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

A jaundiced view - and certainly not mine.

Brexit will be Brexit; success or failure is not relevant.  The shape of it may be determined by people who are incapable of delivering what people expect Brexit to look like - but that is much to do with the fact that there could be  17.4m different perceptions of that shape because no one was able to provide a definitive form. The fact is that the voting options were (1) Stay in the EU or (2) Brexit, whatever shape that may be (because we politicians haven't got a clue what Brexit will actually look like).

'success or failure is not relevant'

Sadly, it is a mantra shared by many older Brexiteers.  No normal person would vote for a pig's ear.

Have you no sense of responsibility whatsoever?

24 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

'success or failure is not relevant'

Sadly, it is a mantra shared by many older Brexiteers.  No normal person would vote for a pig's ear.

Have you no sense of responsibility whatsoever?

I voted to leave a pig's ear.

A sense of responsibility caused me to vote that way.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I voted to leave a pig's ear.

A sense of responsibility caused me to vote that way.

Healy’s Rule (Law) of Holes, First Law of Holes

Dennis Healy, a U.K. Member of Parliament and former Chancellor of the Exchequer, famously commented “Follow the rule of holes; if you are in one, stop digging.”

There is a corollary to Healy’s law, variously expressed as “when your opponent is in a hole and digging, for god’s sake don’t stop him” or alternately “why would you want to take away his shovel?”

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your interesting views on the German coalition government.

Now, please enlighten us with your views on the UK coalition government, you know the coalition of conservatives with religious fundamentalists.

Personally I prefer a 20% mainstream party over a handfull of extremists.

And you?

The I'm lost for words and don't want to be judged  view.  "Thank you for your interesting views", "and you?"

II am in India at the moment and in 2 hours will leave Fort Cochi to fly to Kolkata.

Happy to give you my views on the UK govt, in 3 days time but having given my views on the EU Govt at least you could say you agree or disagree. Maybe you don't have the bottle. So lets hear it; your view from the altar at which you worship.........  the positive and negative  attributes of the European Govt. Please include references to the UK, Catalonia, Greece, Corsica. Poland, Rumania ,countries with crushing debt loads, unemployment, civil defence expenditure. immigration problems, secularism, the clash of cultures, the euro does not have a problem it is the problem. what's going to be done about the existence of Premier League and Second Division economies in the same Union, etc. etc.  I'm sure Grouse will help you!

Can't wait for the reply

3 minutes ago, aright said:

The I'm lost for words and don't want to be judged  view.  "Thank you for your interesting views", "and you?"

II am in India at the moment and in 2 hours will leave Fort Cochi to fly to Kolkata.

Happy to give you my views on the UK govt, in 3 days time but having given my views on the EU Govt at least you could say you agree or disagree. Maybe you don't have the bottle. So lets hear it; your view from the altar at which you worship.........  the positive and negative  attributes of the European Govt. Please include references to the UK, Catalonia, Greece, Corsica. Poland, Rumania ,countries with crushing debt loads, unemployment, civil defence expenditure. immigration problems, secularism, the clash of cultures, the euro does not have a problem it is the problem. what's going to be done about the existence of Premier League and Second Division economies in the same Union, etc. etc.  I'm sure Grouse will help you!

Can't wait for the reply

Catelonia is a bit of an outlier in your list....

I can just about see you lumping the UK, Greece and Romania together....?

13 minutes ago, aright said:

Can't wait for the reply

Maybe long-winded empty verbiage is embraced at a premium in India. Here in Pattaya the general consensus is that Brexit will not result in a happy ending.

32 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Healy’s Rule (Law) of Holes, First Law of Holes

Dennis Healy, a U.K. Member of Parliament and former Chancellor of the Exchequer, famously commented “Follow the rule of holes; if you are in one, stop digging.”

There is a corollary to Healy’s law, variously expressed as “when your opponent is in a hole and digging, for god’s sake don’t stop him” or alternately “why would you want to take away his shovel?”

Even your insults have become lukewarm.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, aright said:

In what way did we prevent the EU having a say in our opportunity to leave? I'm up for a laugh.

AS I recall when we asked for concessions we were dismissed out of hand.

Leaving the UK is being the master not the victim , do you under stand the difference?

A question mark ? means a  constructive answer is needed not a snide comment

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Maybe long-winded empty verbiage is embraced at a premium in India. Here in Pattaya the general consensus is that Brexit will not result in a happy ending.

The emptiest verbiage of course is by people who make snide comments then when questioned feel they don't have to/or refuse to answer legitimate questions . Too much time spent all alone in a room sweating for a happy ending I suspect. How are the blisters on your hand?

32 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Catelonia is a bit of an outlier in your list....

I can just about see you lumping the UK, Greece and Romania together....?

I'm worried. Do you think he might see through my subterfuge. Help me. Do you think the list is too skimpy?

8 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

brits taking their thai wife back home will get short shrift as EU migrants will be able to just walk in with unlimited family members .that brits cant match as they ve been shafted

There’s more truth in what you say, then perhaps you know.

I returned to live in the U.K. last month with my wife and our children, this after 20yrs in Thailand. Without going into detail, I can assure you that the Bureaucrats in the UK give priority to none Brits. One example, my youngest is still without a primary school after 6 weeks. Most of the schools are full, and the couple that are not, seem to be catering for the children of anti social parents and the children of none Brits. My Thai wife cannot get over what she see’s. Exclaiming why are all these people not working, no wonder Calais is full.

25 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I returned to live in the U.K. last month with my wife and our children, this after 20yrs in Thailand. Without going into detail, I can assure you that the Bureaucrats in the UK give priority to none Brits. One example, my youngest is still without a primary school after 6 weeks. Most of the schools are full, and the couple that are not, seem to be catering for the children of anti social parents and the children of none Brits. My Thai wife cannot get over what she see’s. Exclaiming why are all these people not working, no wonder Calais is full.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Hard Brexiteer's champion MP of the moment would no doubt have advised putting children's names down for a good Public School years in advance. And maybe hiring a private tutor.

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

What part of the UK( County Council) are you trying to get them into schools?

37 minutes ago, aright said:

What part of the UK( County Council) are you trying to get them into schools?

We have come to Lincolnshire, as our oldest passed his 11 plus, and as you may know, there are only a few areas in the country now with Grammar schools. Unfortunately Lincolnshire seem to have received more than it’s Fair share of Eastern Europeans, and while many are law abiding hard working people , others are undesirable E.E  citizens, taking advantage of the E.U’s Open border policy to also take root here, adding nothing to the economy, just helping to fill the schools and hospitals. Hopefully on completion of Brexit, laws will be put in place to restrict the numbers and quality of those allowed in, to the advantage of the U.K. 

I must add that I have spoken to some E.E and they also think restrictions on the numbers allowed in should be in place. Could they be possible future Brexiteers?

FT Breaking News :cheesy:

'UK asks world to treat it as an EU member after Brexit

Britain has called on the rest of the world to consider it still an EU member after Brexit, in a U-turn intended to ensure the country remains covered by hundreds of international treaties.

A “technical note” prepared by the UK government calls on non-EU nations to treat the UK during its post-Brexit transition period after March 2019 as if it still covered by more than 700 treaties Brussels has struck with third countries on everything from fishing rights to data sharing.'

5 hours ago, nontabury said:

We have come to Lincolnshire, as our oldest passed his 11 plus, and as you may know, there are only a few areas in the country now with Grammar schools. Unfortunately Lincolnshire seem to have received more than it’s Fair share of Eastern Europeans, and while many are law abiding hard working people , others are undesirable E.E  citizens, taking advantage of the E.U’s Open border policy to also take root here, adding nothing to the economy, just helping to fill the schools and hospitals. Hopefully on completion of Brexit, laws will be put in place to restrict the numbers and quality of those allowed in, to the advantage of the U.K. 

I must add that I have spoken to some E.E and they also think restrictions on the numbers allowed in should be in place. Could they be possible future Brexiteers?

Lincolnshire: flat and boring.

Japan warns Theresa May its giant firms will quit UK if botched Brexit makes it 'unprofitable' to stay

The Japanese ambassador has warned Theresa May that his country’s firms will quit Britain if a botched Brexit makes it “unprofitable” to stay.

Koji Tsuruoka laid bare growing nervousness about the impact of EU withdrawal on the Japanese car giants, banks and tech companies after meeting the Prime Minister in Downing Street...

The warning comes after the Japanese government, in a leaked letter, called on Ms May to keep Britain in the EU single marketand customs union and maintain a free flow of workers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/japan-brexit-theresa-may-ambassador-uk-leave-deal-profit-nissan-mazda-car-manufacturing-deal-trade-a8201286.html

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

FT Breaking News :cheesy:

'UK asks world to treat it as an EU member after Brexit

Britain has called on the rest of the world to consider it still an EU member after Brexit, in a U-turn intended to ensure the country remains covered by hundreds of international treaties.

A “technical note” prepared by the UK government calls on non-EU nations to treat the UK during its post-Brexit transition period after March 2019 as if it still covered by more than 700 treaties Brussels has struck with third countries on everything from fishing rights to data sharing.'

So why not just stay until the end of 2021 and keep all options open? You KNOW it makes sense ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/george-soros-best-for-britain-eloise-todd-jacob-reesmogg-latest-a8200676.html

9 hours ago, nontabury said:

Are your wife & children Thai?

That would make them immigrants.

That would guarantee them preferential treatment over white British, no?

Please clarify.

This morning as an older Englishman (C20th) driving my Japanese car (C21st) down a road in Thailand to an Italian Company, listening to music by a C18th/19th Austro-German composer played by a 17 year old French girl, I was reminded of how incredibly petty and small-minded the concept of Brexit is.......

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

This was when the old Labour party was running the UK and the union block votes were running the old Labour party under Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan.

Not disputing you viewpoint in general but the dockers created a state of emergency twice, in July 1970 and then again late 72. The miners created a state of emergency early 72. The postal strike in 71, although not a state of emergency it was prolonged and caused serious disruption. Not forgetting Rolls Royce went bankrupt in Feb 1971.

Edward Heath was prime minister from June 1970 until 1974, taking the UK into Europe on 1st Jan 1973, so can it be said that any UK government capable of taking control and running the country.

16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

This morning as an older Englishman (C20th) driving my Japanese car (C21st) down a road in Thailand to an Italian Company, listening to music by a C18th/19th Austro-German composer played by a 17 year old French girl, I was reminded of how incredibly petty and small-minded the concept of Brexit is.......

Thailand has no concept of being controlled by a foreign union.

and has stringent controls of it borders and immigration.

Land is virtually impossible for UK immigrants to purchase.

The Thai economy is sustainable.    Is that is being small minded?

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

I always think how small minded it is how those who lose a vote by the majority of people try their hardest to stop that democratic vote

Archived