May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, EvenSteven said:

May's brexit will be a corporate brexit - a further reduction in corporate tax rate which is already the lowest in the G20, which will further concentrate the wealth of the 1%.  The UK will become the Mexico of the north when the Tories are done.

That must be why she routed the Old Boys Network in her first cabinet reshuffle :coffee1:.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Chamberlain has been judged by history to have been weak, but on a completely different level to that of Quisling who was a collaborationist which is a rather different thing altogether, so to bracket them together is not only naive but to betray a poor and lazy sense of history. However, as I am increasingly suspecting, the shrill and ridiculous comparisons between Brexit and WW2 betray an underlying Conspiracy Theory view of the world which is dribbling out by bit. All a rather sad indictment of some (and I emphasise some) Brexiteers whose resentments in life have become subsumed in bitterness. How sad.

What happened to your regular updates on Sterling's performance against the US Dollar? (:laugh:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

What happened to your regular updates on Sterling's performance against the US Dollar? (:laugh:)

Don't bait him, he complains when he is loosing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

OK, so let's have a list of how Blair damaged the UK economy. Most people will remember his times as boom times.

(don't bore me with the foreign war stories, it's just not relevant to this discussion)

It was Gordon who held the purse strings...

But what did Tony do other than brown nosing Bush???

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

It was Gordon who held the purse strings...

But what did Tony do other than brown nosing Bush???

Again, what was wrong with his domestic policy? You think chancellors have real power? Look at the current situation.

4 hours ago, Flustered said:

Boom Times LOL 555 and all the rest.

I choked on my drink when I read this.

Brown under Blair borrowed, borrowed and borrowed. His economic policy was built on rising house prices for ever and owners borrowing against them to fuel consumerism. Both Blair and Brown were utter failures.

Now back to my drink without choking and thanks for the laugh. I have had a very painful day and this helped ease it.

By the way and FYI, never go near York. I found out today that a law allowing Scots to be shot with a bow and arrow in York has never been repealed.

Please read some history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiership_of_Tony_Blair

Much better to know the facts. Remind me about income growth over the last 10 years again? 

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Please read some history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiership_of_Tony_Blair

Much better to know the facts. Remind me about income growth over the last 10 years again? 

This is an even more interesting reference:

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Don't you think Cable is being affected by the Trump charade?

The dollar took it on the chin in N.Y. trade on Wednesday, with U.S. political concerns keeping risk taking levels well-contained. Gold soared, yields fell, and Wall Street was hit hard following reports that Trump asked then FBI chief Comey to call off the investigation into former NSA head Flynn and his Russian dealings. The DXY fell to 6-month lows of 97.53, led by a six-month EUR-USD top of 1.1154. Risk sensitive USD-JPY fell to 111.02, a three-week low from opening highs near 112.50. USD-CAD remained relatively firm despite higher oil prices and decent Canada data, holding over 1.3600 through most of the session. Cable printed new 7-plus month highs of 1.2991, though turned lower after the London close.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I don't recall Blair being PM during the "boom times" in the same way that I don't hold him entirely responsible for the increasing divide between the wealthy and everyone else.

I was made (voluntarily) redundant around '92 and was shocked at how salaries had fallen!  Blair just continued the mantra of 'low paid workers pricing themselves out of a job, whilst it was necessary for those at the top to be paid 'top dollar' to attract the 'best' :saai:.  And most of us have seen how customer service standards have consequently reflected this change....

As Vogie points out, Blair is (and will be) mainly remembered for his WMD lies.  He's hated as much (if not more!) as Thatcher, and it would be suprising if any politician would appreciate his 'support'!

What have WMD and foreign wars to do with Brexit? Nothing.

I maintain that during the 10 years that Blair was at the helm, there were real wage rises and big investments in health and education.

He came to power by realising that he needed to occupy the centre ground after years of rule by the nasty party.

TM is now trying to occupy the centre. I'm encouraged but skeptical. If she alienates the extreme right, I may come on board

BTW, wasn't TB responsible for devolution? And the minimum wage?

Just heard TM plans to cut corporation tax to 17%. So no change after all. She will put up NI to pay for extra care while at the same time slashing corporation tax by 10%. And still the moths fly to the flame!

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Wow! Dynamite!

Tories have been a miserable failure with the economy, and if they are no good with that then they are needed about as much as the proverbial you know what in a swimming pool, since they are useless in all other aspects, save greasing blue greasy palms.

Its amazing why any mug still votes for them.  I think it's because they are perceived as the party that will bring Joe Average to untold and unmerited wealth; I suppose it's a bit like buying a lottery ticket.  This time round I think it is the Brexit factor: JA wants a stable, calming figure, ignoring the fact that it is the same tories that have brought the problem about and exacerbated it.  Dumb or what?

It's good to see Labour at least gaining some ground in the polls...isn't it?  Corbyn is nothing if not a conviction politician, and he is a good orator.  One can imagine him wiping the floor with May in any debate.  Mind you it does help when you basically have right on your side.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I maintain that during the 10 years that Blair was at the helm, there were real wage rises and big investments in health and education.

He came to power by realising that he needed to occupy the centre ground after years of rule by the nasty party.

TM is now trying to occupy the centre. I'm encouraged but skeptical. If she alienates the extreme right, I may come on board

WMDs and foreign wars are forever related to Blair (along with Thatcher to a lesser extent as a result of the Falklands).

Its related to brexit insofar as Blair thinks that the electorate will be swayed by his opinions - and of course, the odd poster thinks his opinion is worthy of respect :laugh:.

Not to mention, Blair is trying to find a 'role' in the negotiations......

Re. Blair's governments bringing in "real wage rises" - it only goes to show how personal perceptions sway opinions.  I only saw cost of living increases (mostly) above salary increases for the poor/average, and new 'salary structures' designed to reduce the salaries for those at the bottom.  No doubt you experienced something different and are equally convinced that "real wages" for those at the bottom/average increased during that period.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Grouse said:

BTW, wasn't TB responsible for devolution? And the minimum wage?

Just heard TM plans to cut corporation tax to 17%. So no change after all. She will put up NI to pay for extra care while at the same time slashing corporation tax by 10%. And still the moths fly to the flame!

http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Business_Taxation/Docs/Publications/Policy_Papers/g20-corporation-tax-ranking-2016_0.pdf

cynical bast***s

OECD average is 28.7%; do we have to be lower than China and Russia to compete? Really? A few choice expressions come to mind. It's just as I warned, the Con Party are no really interested in the average Brit; they want to line, indeed stuff, their own pockets...

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Re. "investments in health and education", I have to admit that I can't remember when the NHS started recruiting multitudes of admin. staff/managers....  No doubt you will be able to remind me.

On the other hand I can remember when bureaucracy stared taking took over schools, as I was working in one at the time and watched it happen :sad:.

It was during Blair's reign and ever increasing admin. staff were required in schools (taking up an increasing proportion of their budget) as local authority management dreamed up new ways to increase their empires - and salaries - by increasing bureaucracy.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Tories have been a miserable failure with the economy, and if they are no good with that then they are needed about as much as the proverbial you know what in a swimming pool, since they are useless in all other aspects, save greasing blue greasy palms.

Its amazing why any mug still votes for them.  I think it's because they are perceived as the party that will bring Joe Average to untold and unmerited wealth; I suppose it's a bit like buying a lottery ticket.  This time round I think it is the Brexit factor: JA wants a stable, calming figure, ignoring the fact that it is the same tories that have brought the problem about and exacerbated it.  Dumb or what?

It's good to see Labour at least gaining some ground in the polls...isn't it?  Corbyn is nothing if not a conviction politician, and he is a good orator.  One can imagine him wiping the floor with May in any debate.  Mind you it does help when you basically have right on your side.

Going by the Cons manifesto , the priveleged few are infants on free lunch meals , and pensioners

Edited by rockingrobin

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

Again, what was wrong with his domestic policy? You think chancellors have real power? Look at the current situation.

Gordon was defiantly the brains... 

What did Tony actually do other than mislead the country over WMD???

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

I can't copy across the world bank data but NHS spend per person doubled during 1997 to 2007 when Blair had the tiller. Note per person - that's the important part.

But we still spend less per head than any peer country as far as I'm aware. Perhaps take a look at those figures.  It doesn't sound right, although they were in power for a long time.

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yet I think it also fair to say UK prospered under Labour- unprecedented in fact.  What did for them and us was the credit crunch, which could not be described as anything other than uncontrolled capitalist greed.

You forgot to mention his push to make the UK a multicultural country. Perhaps that's why some support him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nontabury said:

You forgot to mention his push to make the UK a multicultural country. Perhaps that's why some support him.

Tories are so confident that they are turning on their own.  Perhaps it's just 'karma' if you believe in such things- that'll teach the old dafties to vote Brexit:smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/18/social-care-funding-what-are-the-conservatives-proposing

There is something crucial which effects any homeowner here: get ill in your dotage- even in your own home- and you could find yourself in hock on your estate. Oops... who will explain that one to the kids!

However, if a loved one gets really ill with Alzheimers so that they must be in a care home for many years, then at least 100,000 of their estate will be protected.  I must admit I am one of those that benefits.

You gotta love the tories and their hard ball games!

Labour proposed a fair tax across the board for all.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

But we still spend less per head than any peer country as far as I'm aware. Perhaps take a look at those figures.  It doesn't sound right, although they were in power for a long time.

You are correct. But Expenditure per head doubled during His Tonyness's reign. Now the Con Party will talk about total spend but not spend per head!