May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

I suspect negotiations are continuing in the background, but nobody is going to talk about it for various reasons.

We may hear more insults between UK/EU politicians after the GE - although with a bit of luck it will be more muted as a result of the recent terrorist atrocities.

8 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Some factions of the British press belong in the gutter. Not surprised May is owned by Dacre and company. They say jump and she says how high. Strong and stable my arse.

IMG_3273.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great news from one of the polls.

Theresa May's Conservatives are on track to nearly triple their majority on Thursday, according to one of the final pre-election polls

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It does seem likely that after the recent atrocities voters are less likely to vote for Corbyn.

Even so, we've no idea how talks will progress until the 'powers that be' start telling us or the EU electorate what they want us to hear......

I do hope so Dick, I have never ever despised a Labour government so much in all my life. All my family voted Labour all their lives, I have voted Labour, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, these idiots don't deserve any respect what so ever. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I do hope so Dick, I have never ever despised a Labour government so much in all my life. All my family voted Labour all their lives, I have voted Labour, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, these idiots don't deserve any respect what so ever. 

But then again neither does May - other than the fact that she is the only one promising that in the absence of a good deal, there will be no deal.

May and the tory party screwed up badly (?)  by declaring the promised aims re. 'care' provision for the elderly.  Surely they realised this would alienate a large proportion of those children looking to inherit their parents' money??  So many, as it turned out, that May decided to change her mind.....

It does make me wonder about conspiracy theories....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpinx said:

The whole population of politicians can't produce a "leader", and we're reduced to picking the best of a bad bunch. 

True, but May is a multitude better than Corbyn. Just seen on the news that Dianne Abbott has stood down blaming ill health. Probably Labour has at last trying to get rid of one its liabilities, bit late methinks.

True, but May is a multitude better than Corbyn. Just seen on the news that Dianne Abbott has stood down blaming ill health. Probably Labour has at last trying to get rid of one its liabilities, bit late methinks.

May is a coward who doesn't even have the balls to go to a debate and sends a woman instead who's father died two days earlier. I'm glad she fills you with confidence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

May is a coward who doesn't even have the balls to go to a debate and sends a woman instead who's father died two days earlier. I'm glad she fills you with confidence.

Voting for people who want the IRA bombers 'honoured' is really not my cup of tea, but having said that May does give me more confidence than the Crazy Gang.

• Like 1

Voting for people who want the IRA bombers 'honoured' is really not my cup of tea, but having said that May does give me more confidence than the Crazy Gang.

It really is a very bad choice. Best result would be a Tory win with no majority so that they can be kept in check.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnyo said:

It really is a very bad choice. Best result would be a Tory win with no majority so that they can be kept in check.

The best thing that should have happened when Labours cabinet resigned with regard to no confidence in Corbyn, he should have resigned and maybe Labour would be a credible opposition to the Torys. If Labour gets wooped Corbyn might go (emphasis on the might) but if its close, he's there for good. ?

• Like 1

I wonder how this might affect the elections:

Secret NHS cost-cutting plans sound 'death knell' for British healthcare, warn campaigners Extended waiting times, ward and service closures, and withdrawal of public funding for some treatments among proposals in new national savings drive

Senior NHS managers are discussing secret cost-cutting plans to be announced after the General Election – measures that one chief executive described as the most extreme and difficult to hit the health service they had ever seen.

Extended waiting times, ward and service closures, and the withdrawal of public funding for some treatments are among the proposals in a new national savings drive designed to cap NHS spending, a leak has revealed.

Health bosses have been told to “think the unthinkable” when devising measures to save money in their regions, according to the Health Service Journal (HSJ).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-cost-cutting-plans-conservatives-leaked-campaigners-election-2017-a7775571.html

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Who cares about polls nowadays?

Not me chief.

I haven't done for years.

For every poll that says one thing there is usually another one saying the opposite.

If I read them all I would get stressed out but by reading none I have no stress.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Same here vogie. Strong Labour tradition in my family: maternal grandad was general secretary of a trades union for thirty years, and got an OBE for his public service. I wouldn't trust the current rabble running Labour to run a church raffle, and I suspect my grandad wouldn't either.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Same here vogie. Strong Labour tradition in my family: maternal grandad was general secretary of a trades union for thirty years, and got an OBE for his public service. I wouldn't trust the current rabble running Labour to run a church raffle, and I suspect my grandad wouldn't either.

A bit controversial Abbott going the day before the election, some say she was forced out.

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, as his policies are pretty much old wine in new bottles. He'd drag the country back in time during what is going to be a very difficult period for the country. 

I agree with Johnyo's comment on May - she's sold her soul to the likes of the Daily Mail in return for her unopposed leadership campaign. The newspapers destroyed the alternatives and left May as the last person standing. The price? Hard Brexit all the way. Despite all of the support she has had from her News backers she has led a very poor campaign. The result will be interesting to say the least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

A bit controversial Abbott going the day before the election, some say she was forced out.

I do think that she is genuinely ill. In the Sky interview she looked like someone in the early stages of dementia. I don't agree with her on much but my memory of her is of someone who was much sharper in a debate, she looks a shadow of her former self. For once, I don't think this is spin.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Jeremy Corbyn has a very limited gene pool from which to draw his shadow cabinet.

Diane Abbott was one of the few he could count on and she was put into a position of responsibility way beyond her capabilities.

This shows all of the signs of a nervous breakdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I'm not a fan of Corbyn, as his policies are pretty much old wine in new bottles. He'd drag the country back in time during what is going to be a very difficult period for the country. 

I agree with Johnyo's comment on May - she's sold her soul to the likes of the Daily Mail in return for her unopposed leadership campaign. The newspapers destroyed the alternatives and left May as the last person standing. The price? Hard Brexit all the way. Despite all of the support she has had from her News backers she has led a very poor campaign. The result will be interesting to say the least.

Corbyn is a real conviction politician, and has become more popular lately. I still expect Cons. to win at a canter.  God knows what will become of us!

Ok, I understand the dangers of going back to the past, but for me it has been refreshing to be able support a Labour Party that stands for the things you would expect, as opposed to being not much different from a Tory wet 'B' team.  I dont feel so dis-enfranchised now that I have rediscovered my left wing roots and feel Corbyn's time will come, likely within a couple of years.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Corbyn is a real conviction politician, and has become more popular lately. I still expect Cons. to win at a canter.  God knows what will become of us!

Ok, I understand the dangers of going back to the past, but for me it has been refreshing to be able support a Labour Party that stands for the things you would expect, as opposed to being not much different from a Tory wet 'B' team.  I dont feel so dis-enfranchised now that I have rediscovered my left wing roots and feel Corbyn's time will come, likely within a couple of years.

The left is back, and it is increasingly appealing to a younger crowd ... no surprise there as they have no history of these policies once implemented. And the more extreme wing of the tories appear to have the upper hand, so we have a more polarised political scene than we have had for many years. The worst of both worlds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Lemmings are conviction rodents. Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

May's "corporate Brexit" will turn the UK into corporate fiefdom for the corporate class - large pools of cheap labour in a deregulated market for the corporate class who will be given another corporate tax break, despite the fact that the UK is already home to one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the developed world.  Three cheers for increasing the concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the corporate class.

Edited by EvenSteven
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, EvenSteven said:

May's "corporate Brexit" will turn the UK into corporate fiefdom for the corporate class - large pools of cheap labour in a deregulated market for the corporate class who will be given another corporate tax break, despite the fact that the UK is already home to one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the developed world.  Three cheers for increasing the concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the corporate class.

Well said, Sir!

• Like 1