May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

5 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I am trying to see all angles now.  Thanks for the article which does rather differ from the norm.  But what I would say is that while it is right to suppose that UK could well be like Switzerland or Canada, it is rather unrealistic imo to presume that we will just assume such a balance without considerable disruption perhaps for a few years, but equally possibly for a decade.  No, the UK is not in the position of a newly formed independent state, yet there are similarities in trading terms.

Incidentally, if one wants to see how history repeats itself, then go to BBC podcasts-The Long View, which compares the situation with the Elizabethan trade war when UK (as was) found itself at odds with continental Europe.  This ended in a harmful stalemate to all parties and a new trade agreement was arranged eventually; so fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

Not showing who likes what diluted the thrust and parry of the discussion.

The "like" options are insufficient 

What about:

1) Erudite contribution, thank you

2) Come 'ere and say that!

3) Well! I never did!

4) Have you finished your homework

and so on! ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Not showing who likes what diluted the thrust and parry of the discussion.

The "like" options are insufficient 

What about:

1) Erudite contribution, thank you

2) Come 'ere and say that!

3) Well! I never did!

4) Have you finished your homework

and so on! ?

I glad you brought the subject up. What constitutes a 'like' now, if I like a post but don't think it deserves an oscar, can I refrain from pressing the 'cup.' If I press the smiley face is this still a 'like' and if I press the grumpy face will it subtract a 'like' from the posters credits?

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/29/2017 at 8:44 AM, dick dasterdly said:

I agree with you to a certain extent, but the logical conclusion to your argument is that some people (not enough education/low IQ) shouldn't be allowed to vote - even though they can see what is happening in their own lives!

I'd add that some of the most intelligent people I've known,  didn't have a clue outside their sphere of intelligence....

Some people try to blindly pin an assumption tail on a donkey ('the logical conclusion is.....') and sadly think they are making a 'most intelligent' comment.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

I glad you brought the subject up. What constitutes a 'like' now, if I like a post but don't think it deserves an oscar, can I refrain from pressing the 'cup.' If I press the smiley face is this still a 'like' and if I press the grumpy face will it subtract a 'like' from the posters credits?

There is so much suffering in this world.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Brexit voters happy for there to be economic pain as the price for Brexit as long as it is not their own family losing their jobs. Shocking news! http://tinyurl.com/y7277gdb

Its cheper that way

Paying the cost of Brexit out of the neighbours pockets

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Brexit voters happy for there to be economic pain as the price for Brexit as long as it is not their own family losing their jobs. Shocking news! http://tinyurl.com/y7277gdb

I do wonder whether the Hard Brexiters on this forum are insulated from any economic fallout.  Ok for some.  It's already hitting home for me.:sick:

I do understand that during their lives they would have been similarly affected by recessions, yet none so obviously self inflicted.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I do wonder whether the Hard Brexiters on this forum are insulated from any economic fallout.  Ok for some.  It's already hitting home for me.:sick:

I do understand that during their lives they would have been similarly affected by recessions, yet none so obviously self inflicted.

The fact is, when the next recession hits (and it will hit), the EU will do what's best for the EU (which means primarily Germany). And we will have much-reduced control of our own economic destiny if we remain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The fact is, when the next recession hits (and it will hit), the EU will do what's best for the EU (which means primarily Germany). And we will have much-reduced control of our own economic destiny if we remain.

Better together!

You fancy being in a barchetta with Theresa and her crew when the seas get rough?

Cue the music please!

Edited by Grouse

Crisis?  What crisis?  These so-called crisis have little effect on the average Joe in the street.  Having been through devaluations, decimalisation, Exchange rate controls, etc, etc, ad nauseum, it's probably fair to say that the effect on an average individual is insignificant when compared the effect of the "normal" day-to-day dealings everyone has.  Since there is no gold-standard anymore - carefully removed so that comparisons can never be made - how do we know what is "worth" more?  Apples and pears anyone? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Better together!

You fancy being in a barchetta with Theresa and her crew when the seas get rough?

Cue the music please!

No one knows how Brexit and Europe looks like in 5, 10, 15, 20 years.

But Polish and Romanian potatoes eats in times of need everyone.

Better to stay together in Europe.

Edited by tomacht8

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

Crisis?  What crisis?  These so-called crisis have little effect on the average Joe in the street.  Having been through devaluations, decimalisation, Exchange rate controls, etc, etc, ad nauseum, it's probably fair to say that the effect on an average individual is insignificant when compared the effect of the "normal" day-to-day dealings everyone has.  Since there is no gold-standard anymore - carefully removed so that comparisons can never be made - how do we know what is "worth" more?  Apples and pears anyone? ;)

Costs of living going up higher than income can be a slow burn. Slowly boiling the frog.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Costs of living going up higher than income can be a slow burn. Slowly boiling the frog.

Given that people seem to add their bar bill into their "cost of living" ,  rather than their "luxuries" , it's no surprise that their income can not keep up ;)

Edited by jpinx

6 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Given that people seem to add their bar bill into their "cost of living" ,  rather than their "luxuries" , it's no surprise that their income can not keep up ;)

There is a 'given' (regularly re-adjusted) basket of goods which is calculated by the ONS (Office of National Statistics) to generate CPI (the Consumer Price Index). Of course a typical average but it is these figures which are the reference point rather than lazy Brexiteer distractions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The precision is required first, he's a liberal nutter who thinks Oprah Winfrey should run for office!

A complete numpty who will have bruised his thumb several times by judgment day!