Family of well-known Houstonian killed in Thailand trying to raise money to bring his body home

rooster59

10 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Gosh, I can't believe it!  They just pasted the same poorly written text from the GoFundMe ad on to this event ...but of course don't mention that they already have raised $85,600.00 in 3 days.  It seems they will surely go over their intended goal of $100K.

They never give any estimated accounting of what the medical bills are, or anything else.  They could have had not very significant medical bills, then cremate him here, ship him home in a small box, and then use most of the money towards the "MORE" in their ad (not that anyone will be checking these things).

I think we cannot be left with any idea other than this is an attempt to exploit the public, pure and simple.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, amykat said:

Gosh, I can't believe it!  They just pasted the same poorly written text from the GoFundMe ad on to this event ...but of course don't mention that they already have raised $85,600.00 in 3 days.  It seems they will surely go over their intended goal of $100K.

They never give any estimated accounting of what the medical bills are, or anything else.  They could have had not very significant medical bills, then cremate him here, ship him home in a small box, and then use most of the money towards the "MORE" in their ad (not that anyone will be checking these things).

I think we cannot be left with any idea other than this is an attempt to exploit the public, pure and simple.

Given this thread I'm wondering why his family / close friends don't post something to give posters a reason why he had a very very expensive lifestyle, but is totally broke and needs charity contributions to pay all of his after death expenses.  

5 minutes ago, amykat said:

In fairness, his girlfriend may need a significant $$$ sum for treatment in Thailand and then even more after she returns to the USA.  Given that he was the better known half of the couple, they may simply be leveraging his popularity to fund her care, too.  Keep in mind that any insurance she may have is probably null and void because of the circumstances of the tragedy- a scooter ride in Thailand. 

1 minute ago, impulse said:

In fairness, his girlfriend may need a significant $$$ sum for treatment in Thailand and then even more after she returns to the USA.  Given that he was the better known half of the couple, they may simply be leveraging his popularity to fund her care, too.  Keep in mind that any insurance she may have is probably null and void because of the circumstances of the tragedy- a scooter ride in Thailand. 

I repost: " Given this thread I'm wondering why his family / close friends don't post something to give posters a reason why he had a very very expensive lifestyle, but is totally broke and needs charity contributions to pay all of his after death expenses. "

Further, where is her family, have they contributed?

14 hours ago, impulse said:

If my semi-famous brother and his girlfriend were in an accident and he died and she needed a lot of uninsured hospital care in Thailand, followed by a lot more when she gets back to the USA, do you figure I'd be better off appealing to his thousands of Youtube followers or to her 15 Facebook friends?

Her hospital bills could easily run up to $$ half a million (or more) with follow up care back in the USA.  And I'd bet the fact that she got injured on the back of a scooter in Thailand would negate any insurance she may have thought she had.

Hi Impulse,  I know you always seem to see the nice side in people and that is a great quality to have.  But in this case, I can't see where you have any evidence to argue that his family might be putting aside money for his girlfriend's care.

It would stand to reason that they would mention in their appeals for money, her cause as an additional line item ....they already listed his medical bills twice, to make it sound like more ...i.e., they have to pay his "surgeries and medical bills" and added in a general "and more" just to cover whatever.  I thought it was particularly insensitive to not even mention her, and she should be included in their fund raising but maybe she wasn't injured much and it is that simple ...or they are just so self-focused that they can't even think to include her so that they can make more on their scam?

Edited by amykat

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hi ...I wrote my response, before I knew you wrote me ...but again, IF you WERE attempting to raise money for HER, then of course you would mention that and talk about her need!  That would only bring you MORE money and sympathy ...something these people are well aware of.  They are not shy.

The household of a Houston man tragically killed in a motorbike crash in Thailand is desperately making an attempt to boost cash to deliver his physique house.

From the membership scene to the fitness center scene, Clark Shao is a properly -recognized identify and face in Houston. His cousin, Oscar Chen, stated, “He is a tough working individual. He exhibits you’re employed onerous, you play exhausting and reside life a day at a time, minute at a time.”

He was even as soon as named Houston’s hottest bachelor by “Inside Version” in 2014. His constructive, energetic exercises and coaching periods have tens of hundreds of YouTube views. His associates add his sense of journey was contagious. YouTube posts present him tasting bugs and worms in Asia.

However those that knew him greatest say it is the influence he is had on their lives. As a mentor and good friend, they can not consider he’s gone. Chen stated, “It is tremendous devastating, I am in denial, I do not consider. He was all the time a loving, caring individual.”

His childhood pal Neil Jou stated, “The kind of individual you look as much as, very inspirational particular person.”

Shao and his girlfriend Melissa have been having fun with a trip in Thailand. Family members say the 2 have been close to a seashore once they left to return to their lodge by motorbike. A wet, bumpy journey turned tragic once they crashed into one other car, probably one other motorbike. Shao died later on the hospital. His girlfriend Melissa is injured.

Many relations are in Thailand now and say it’s a very troublesome course of to undergo in getting him again to the USA for a funeral. Associates have began a GoFundMe web page to assist with bills. Chen stated, “They would not launch his physique simply but.”

It is a worrying time for him household. They need the person who had such a constructive influence on all of them to be again within the health club, again of their lives.

Jou stated, “Undoubtedly doing his greatest in life.”

Goodbye is one thing they weren’t prepared for. “I do not understand how Houston will perform with out Clark as a result of he impacted so many individuals’s lives,” stated Chen.

http://frankopolo.com/household-of-nicely-recognized-houstonian-killed-in-thailand-making-an-attempt-to-boost-cash-to-convey-his-physique-residence/

4 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I'm pretty sure the blurb in that link is a re-translation after someone used Google translate on the original KTRK article to a different language, then re-translated it back to English. The source link at the bottom brings us back to the KTRK article, but the words have definitely been jumbled.

http://abc13.com/news/family-of-man-killed-in-thailand-trying-to-bring-his-body-home/1567466/

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I repost: " Given this thread I'm wondering why his family / close friends don't post something to give posters a reason why he had a very very expensive lifestyle, but is totally broke and needs charity contributions to pay all of his after death expenses. "

Further, where is her family, have they contributed?

I watched the video posted above.  They are advertising the GoFundMe campaign on all his workout stuff via FB which then leads to posts from his girlfriend who seems to be fine.  And posts from his sisters and you can read about them on their pages.  They seem to be educated, (med school, dental school, own businesses, have nice homes, go on nice vacations, seem childless so far, married to employed people) and say they are in Thailand with plenty of help and need no help from friends who are in Thailand offering help.  Nobody seems broke, without access to money, credit, problem solving skills, (well one of those seems to be fund raising via strangers over the internet.)

Particularly galling to me, is the call from some friend in the video above asking people to just reach into your pockets for just anything you can afford, "just even pennies will help" or something like that.  I thought I was watching an ad for starving kids in Africa.

Does it cover riding a rental scooter?  Like the guy in the OP?

Edit:  There's a possibility that he may have thought he was well covered when he really wasn't.  It wouldn't be the first time, and if that is the case, it won't be the last...

It's not about renting a scooter but death by accident.

I checked my contract, racing ans suicide is excluded. (Sorry for the balcony jumpers)

Again, since when are scooter rides excluded from travel insurance policies?
Crossing a street in Thailand is even more dangerous.

Surat Thani is where the family are if you read the social media. Why a 100,000 USD to fly a body back to the US? Was the accident on koh phangan and he got helicoptered to a mainland hospital. Also one sister is in the US military, maybe she has connections.

11 hours ago, Ahab said:

Travel insurance is not something I normally buy, but on one trip several years ago I got a really good price on the airfares fro my family and decided to get it. The one I purchased covered medical issues in country, repatriation of a body if you died, etc. On that trip I got very sick and was in the hospital for four days (small private hospital in Nang Grong, Buriram). When I tried to make a claim I discovered in the small print that the travel insurance only paid after all other insurance had certified what they paid or did not pay out. Overseas is not covered by any of my medical insurance policies (I am covered by two), after several months trying to obtain the required paperwork I gave up and decided it was easier to just eat the $550 USD that I paid out of pocket than deal with the  bureaucracy. Travel insurance is not always the be all end all that some on this forum make it out to be, based on my limited experience I would recommend reading the entire policy (which almost no one except a lawyer does) and all the requirements and limitations before buying any of this stuff. In my opinion I would not buy travel insurance offered by the travel agencies ever again.

I had a travel agent policy and they paid out after my bike accident, despite having an excuse ( my fault ) to not do so. Not all travel insurance is a scam.

1 hour ago, tartempion said:

Scooter/ m'bikes are usually excluded unless extra is paid. Even then one needs to have a licence valid in the country where the accident took place and wear a helmet. There is also a limit on engine size.

2 hours ago, tartempion said:

Google travel insurance motorcycle exclusions.

Some travel policies cover them, with a requirement to be licensed, wear a helmet and not be drunk.  (I'm recalling some photos in earlier posts showing them on scooters with beers and no helmets...)

Some policies don't, and some companies charge extra to cover "dangerous activities".

I once had a travel policy that didn't cover scuba diving.  The exclusion was buried several pages deep in the fine print on the tiny brochure I got.  Fortunately, I was skiing in Colorado that trip.  But ever since then, I read all the way through the fine print.  It's pretty scary sometimes.

Tragic as it is that the guy passed away, it can be a lesson learned for lots of us.

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Surat Thani is where the family are if you read the social media. Why a 100,000 USD to fly a body back to the US? Was the accident on koh phangan and he got helicoptered to a mainland hospital. Also one sister is in the US military, maybe she has connections.

Wonder why the family don't make a short statement to clear the air.

I still think this is a bit strange but his family gets 100k in dollars soon so just hope the money will be spent correctly and do not go into someones stranger's pocket. 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, tartempion said:

I looked into this a few years ago when looking for travel insurance in the UK, even riding as pillion was excluded in most policies.

This should really come under the bikes insurance.

On 22/10/2016 at 10:58 PM, wayned said:

Cremation would be the way to go. If that is the choice the OP should check with the return Airline exactly what they require.  The container that you transport the remains in must be able to be xrayed so a metal urn is unacceptable. You would definitely need a copy of the death certificate to present to customs in the US.  Also remember cremation here is not like cremation in the US.  The body is not burnt at the temperature and length to reduce the bones to ashes.  When the cremation is over there will be many pieces of bone remaining so they won't all fit into a small container.

I have seen urns at the back of a temple that have broken open, many bones were still identifiable, including top of a skull.

I have also been back stage at a crematorium in the UK, they had a bone crusher that was used to turn the remains to powder.

I presume there will be temples that will cremate and pulverise the remains, and put them in a suitable urn for shipping.

On the question of shipping:

US Customs and Border Protection say:

What is the process for bringing bodies in coffins and ashes in urns? What paperwork is required?

Human remains intended for interment or subsequent cremation after entry into the United States must be accompanied by a death certificate stating the cause of death.

If the death certificate is in a language other than English, then it should be accompanied by an English language translation.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/kw/bringing ashes to US/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NzIyNTUwOS9zaWQvVkNtYUpQMW4%3D

BA Say:

Can I take cremated remains or a full urn when I fly with British Airways? 

Cremated remains can be carried onto our flights in either your hand baggage or checked baggage.

In order to comply with regulations, you’ll need to carry with you a Certificate of Death (or other country-specific equivalent) issued by a competent authority from the country of departure. You’ll also need to ensure that the cremated remains are packed in a sealed outer box or case.

Please be aware that if you are carrying them in your hand baggage, full security procedures will still have to be be applied and the sealed box/urn will be x-rayed at the airport security point. Therefore, we need to advise you that if the urn is made of a material that prevents the x-ray screener from clearly being able to see what is inside, then the container will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. (It is not policy at airport security locations to open any urn, out of respect.)

http://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/transporting-ashes/ashes-on-a-british-airways/

Also:

https://www.evrmemories.com/tsa-and-airline-requirements-for-urns-and-ashes/

http://decorative-urns.com/cremation-blog/about-cremation/how-to-transport-cremated-remains-a-guide/

Edited by Basil B

The web site of one of the local LCC carriers fully details the coverage of their clickable travel insurance.

But on the website of the actual insurance company the same specific policy concerned shows different coverage details / numbers.

I've pointed this out twice to the LCC by e-mail, they have never acknowledged either mail, nothing has been corrected on their website,  the two sites still clash. 

Happens often, the carrier policy probably has different limits and prices from the standard policy.

15 hours ago, tartempion said:

Scooter rides are rarely covered under the basic travel insurance policy.  The policy usually offers an extension or rider that you have to select and pay extra for scooter, moped, jet ski or other devices or activities they consider higher risk or adventurous.  In addition, the fine print of the policy usually asserts that you must be properly licensed to drive a scooter or motorbike, i.e. have a valid driver license with the check mark for motorcyles

15 hours ago, amykat said:

I watched the video posted above.  They are advertising the GoFundMe campaign on all his workout stuff via FB which then leads to posts from his girlfriend who seems to be fine.  And posts from his sisters and you can read about them on their pages.  They seem to be educated, (med school, dental school, own businesses, have nice homes, go on nice vacations, seem childless so far, married to employed people) and say they are in Thailand with plenty of help and need no help from friends who are in Thailand offering help.  Nobody seems broke, without access to money, credit, problem solving skills, (well one of those seems to be fund raising via strangers over the internet.)

Particularly galling to me, is the call from some friend in the video above asking people to just reach into your pockets for just anything you can afford, "just even pennies will help" or something like that.  I thought I was watching an ad for starving kids in Africa.

Yep.  It all seems a bit odd.  Seems like a lot of flash and show to me.  Not to mention he has by his instagram posts been to asia and Thailand at least in March and recently.  Nice that times are so good. Nice that the family could jet over to Thailand when he was injured.  Yet nobody has any money?  Nobody had any forethought or responsibility to buy proper insurance?  

On 10/23/2016 at 1:52 AM, F4UCorsair said:

That you knew him Is Irrelevant to the effort to raise $100K through gofundme.

I think If the family could afford to fly to Thailand, they can afford a liocal cremation, and send the ashes home In the cargo hold If that's so Important to them.

Unable to edit typos or capital 'I' (eye).

Yes, because I knew him is irrelevant, I only mentioned take it easy since ppl are claiming scam on the family.  Not really fair considering they've lost their son.  If you didn't know him fine, but if you knew someone that had passed away then you'd be less inclined to question them.

About the gofundme, I'm unsure what their situation is but we don't know what exactly is going on behind the scenes since this may include the girlfriends' care??  Whatever they need it for is irrelevant and no one has to donate.

Scanned the responses of the thread, so much effort on the intricacies of "cremation and 6 pack abs is a scam".  I guess haters are going to hate.

I'm also having problems responding/editing on here, especially through a device. 

On 10/23/2016 at 6:55 AM, scorecard said:

Agree, plenty of folks in this world who have really contributed to society, I would much prefer to support them rather than someone who is 'strong' and likes attention.

Quotes taken out of context.  Taking it easy is referenced to the family, deceased and injured.

Yeah, it was stupid what he did and the pics are no help.  I'm not even sure if he had insurance it would help as it probably would be void.

It was an expensive lesson and he's now a statistic... 

I remember moderators used to warn posters of such stories that friends and/or family may be reading the responses and to try and keep it civil. 

Quotes taken out of context.  Taking it easy is referenced to the family, deceased and injured.

Yeah, it was stupid what he did and the pics are no help.  I'm not even sure if he had insurance it would help as it probably would be void.

It was an expensive lesson and he's now a statistic... 

I remember moderators used to warn posters of such stories that friends and/or family may be reading the responses and to try and keep it civil. 

What did he do and where?

4 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Yes, because I knew him is irrelevant, I only mentioned take it easy since ppl are claiming scam on the family.  Not really fair considering they've lost their son.  If you didn't know him fine, but if you knew someone that had passed away then you'd be less inclined to question them.

About the gofundme, I'm unsure what their situation is but we don't know what exactly is going on behind the scenes since this may include the girlfriends' care??  Whatever they need it for is irrelevant and no one has to donate.

Scanned the responses of the thread, so much effort on the intricacies of "cremation and 6 pack abs is a scam".  I guess haters are going to hate.

I'm also having problems responding/editing on here, especially through a device. 

I suggest what has prompted some negativity is the mention that he lives in very luxurious accommodation, engages in very expensive activities, flies first class to the other side of the world, holidays which requite funding, but when he passes away his gym buddies ask for a public handout to get his body home.

Essentially, if he could afford all the luxury it would seem very very inappropriate to ask the public for cash for return of his body, funeral at home, etc. Plus, Is a gym boy really such a high profile stand up highly contributing person in terms of building a balanced and fair civil society? Seems doubtful. 

As already mentioned it's a bit surprising that his family haven't already posted something to clear the air. But of course their call.

8 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

First, everyone who knows Clark always, and only, mentions his two sisters when they speak about the "family" themselves.  Next, if we "know someone" we should implicitly trust them and if their loved one has died we are not allowed to question their motives or the appropriateness of their actions according to you?  Yet, they are asking the public for money so that means by default that we don't know them.  They are asking to pay for a death in their family and some "other unspecified stuff".  That opens the door to allow questioning of their motives and the appropriateness of their actions.

8 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Well if you had read all of the thread it seems we have figured out that the girlfriend is fine and doesn't seem to need funds.

However, read what you wrote and think about it.  They have raised $103,500 as of now plus there is a nightclub fundraiser going on that won't be included in that number.  Don't you think the public should have some idea exactly what the money will be spent on?  Do you really believe "whatever they need it for is not relevant?"  So if his sister decides she wants to drive his $150K Jaguar when she returns and needs to make the payments for the next 2 years with the money from this fundraiser, that is fine with you?  How much did you donate?

What did he do and where?

Where is the evidence? In Thai media? Not ABC news. Where did the aledged accident take place and when? Was he wearing a helmet? Did he hit a car, truck, bus, what? Was he sober, drunk, on prescribed meds? More info.
All anyone knows but his close family is that he died in a hospital in Thailand due to a motorbike accident. Where? Frustrating six pack short cut guy.