Thai price with Thai ID Card (foreigner)

Peterw42

It Works ! Just back from Pattaya Floating Market (wife's choice for a outing) and very happy as I got the Thai price for admission, "Free". Foreigners pay 200 Baht.

For those that are unfamiliar, Pattaya floating market is a tourist attraction, a fake floating markets. A bit like going on a Gondola ride in Las Vegus. It has dual pricing, Thais are free and foreigners pay 200 Baht. Showed Pink Thai ID, and ushered straight through the Thai entrance.

I know its only 200 baht, but more the principle. Made me happy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, we visted the Mae Fah Luang Art and Culture Park and then afterwards the Wat Rong Khun temple in Chiang Rai.

Had forgot my Work Permit at home, but the first place I could get Thai-price by just showing my home country drivers license. I am sure it was because they saw our Luk Kreung son and could figure out that we lived here.

At Wat Rong Khun there was no mercy, even if I had my Work Permit. White Skin and you simply have to pay. (Edit)

A constant "hit of miss" depending on where you go.

Edited by theoldgit
Racist comment removed.

6 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

Would a Thai driving license also do ?

Not anymore, I visited a few years ago and then my Thai license was accepted , 6 months later they changed that rule. Several people reported a Thai DL did not work anymore. So you need to go pink . 

Yes, going pink is working so far.

Next challenge is the "Thai only" army beaches south of Pattaya. If they let me in there with a pink ID, I may start eating Som Tum.

Edited by Peterw42

I eat som tum already, very nice. pet nit noi.

But what is a pink id-card? Sounds gay to me....

I boycot everyone and his dog who tries to overcharge me but even on markets they think it's fair to do, they try at least but when i come back with many full shoppingbags i always like to show them how much i bought (from the normal vendors though)...

Those floating markets are ALL fake, all over thailand. But tourists like them so that's fine with me. National parks i refuse to visit but instead i pay airtickets for the family so we can go to national parks in other asian countries as long as they charge a normal price.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

I eat som tum already, very nice. pet nit noi.

I boycot everyone and his dog who tries to overcharge me but even on markets they think it's fair to do, they try at least but when i come back with many full shoppingbags i always like to show them how much i bought (from the normal vendors though)...

Those floating markets are ALL fake, all over thailand. But tourists like them so that's fine with me. National parks i refuse to visit but instead i pay airtickets for the family so we can go to national parks in other asian countries as long as they charge a normal price.

Its never pet nit noi, lol

Pink ID card is Thai ID card for foreigners.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its never pet nit noi, lol

Pink ID card is Thai ID card for foreigners.

Sure it's pet nit noi, my wife also can't eat the pet version which has loads of chili..just tell them pet nit noi.

But how/where can you get a pink ID-card? Do you need a workpermit for it? I've never heard of it.

28 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Sure it's pet nit noi, my wife also can't eat the pet version which has loads of chili..just tell them pet nit noi.

But how/where can you get a pink ID-card? Do you need a workpermit for it? I've never heard of it.

If you have a yellow book (blue book for foreigners), then you can get one from local ampher.

There are a couple of other threads about it.

Edited by Peterw42

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you have a yellow book (blue book for foreigners), then you can get one from local ampher.

There are a couple of other threads about it.

My wife also has never heard of yellow or blue books..me neither.

Oh well, i don't care much...as long as they see me as a stranger who can be ripped off by any Thai i don't need any Thai ID-card..I'm happy with my passport and driverslicense from abroad.

Last week in a bank they wouldn't change my money, i gave my creditcard driverslicense. No ID-card they said, it's a driverslicense dumbo but they wouldn't change...Like if i have fake euro's with me??? In Malaysia they are happy with my euro's so i'll go spending it there and bring my Thai family with me...

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

My wife also has never heard of yellow or blue books..me neither.

Oh well, i don't care much...as long as they see me as a stranger who can be ripped off by any Thai i don't need any Thai ID-card..I'm happy with my passport and driverslicense from abroad.

Last week in a bank they wouldn't change my money, i gave my creditcard driverslicense. No ID-card they said, it's a driverslicense dumbo but they wouldn't change...Like if i have fake euro's with me??? In Malaysia they are happy with my euro's so i'll go spending it there and bring my Thai family with me...

Blue book is the house registration book, every thai is in one. They cant do much without it, open bank accounts etc.

Thailand has 2 types of house books (with a blue or yellow cover):

• - the blue tabien baan or blue house book (Thor.Ror.14) for Thai nationals, and;
  • - the yellow tabien baan or yellow house book (Thor.Ror.13) for foreigners.

As a house book proves a person's domicile it is asked in official registration procedures such as the transfer of ownership of a car or real estate, opening a bank account or when applying for a new electricity or telephone line connection and gives for example Thais the right to vote in a district.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Blue book is the house registration book, every thai is in one. They cant do much without it, open bank accounts etc.

Thailand has 2 types of house books (with a blue or yellow cover):

• - the blue tabien baan or blue house book (Thor.Ror.14) for Thai nationals, and;
  • - the yellow tabien baan or yellow house book (Thor.Ror.13) for foreigners.

As a house book proves a person's domicile it is asked in official registration procedures such as the transfer of ownership of a car or real estate, opening a bank account or when applying for a new electricity or telephone line connection and gives for example Thais the right to vote in a district.

Oh i see, yes we have for my wife.  We are married but i don't think i have one. I'm a second class citizen and only good to pay raised prices.

I don't need no Thai ID, it's nothing to be proud of imo.

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure, I believe it is accepted some places, but not so much anymore.

When flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai last week, when asked to present my passport when checkin in, I presented my pink Thai ID. This was not accepted by Thai Airways, but my Thai DL was. It was suggested to me to always use my DL as the pink ID is apparently accepted only in the "province of your residence" which is stated on the ID. Funny, but is this so???

25 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

When flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai last week, when asked to present my passport when checkin in, I presented my pink Thai ID. This was not accepted by Thai Airways, but my Thai DL was. It was suggested to me to always use my DL as the pink ID is apparently accepted only in the "province of your residence" which is stated on the ID. Funny, but is this so???

Some consistency would be great, lol.

I can see some logic in Thai Airways accepting drivers license, as It has your passport No on it.

Recently I had a mini-break to Koh Lanta from N-E Thailand and decided to test my Thai I.D card to the max.

All flights accepted it, AirAsia and Lion Air.

Krabi airport to resort on Koh Lanta by minibus and return at 1/2 the advertised price. (Thai price)

Resort and motorbike hire.

Local attraction (Thai price)

Discount in a restaurant!

It has its uses as far as I'm concerned.

BTW. I have even opened a bank account with no other documentation apart from my I.D. card!

16 hours ago, khunpa said:

Today, we visted the Mae Fah Luang Art and Culture Park and then afterwards the Wat Rong Khun temple in Chiang Rai.

Had forgot my Work Permit at home, but the first place I could get Thai-price by just showing my home country drivers license. I am sure it was because they saw our Luk Kreung son and could figure out that we lived here.

At Wat Rong Khun there was no mercy, even if I had my Work Permit. White Skin and you simply have to pay. (Edit)

A constant "hit of miss" depending on where you go.

I don't know the wat you went into,but the thought of paying to go into a place of worship would put me off.

Not to my experience.

Used my Kalasin area or Kuchinari local area pink id in Roiet, Nong Khai and Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Kohn Kaen to Chiang Mai last week (15-20 Oct)

At each point where I was asked for a passport I just handed them my pink ID

Kan Air checkin in both directions

Sixt  car rental

Imperial  Resort and Sports Club

For admission fees where there was dual pricing [zoo/national parks/museums] my wife presented her ID long with mine and there was no problem getting the Thai price. Only once was a comment made "does he work here?" at another it didn't matter as over 60 got in free .  Best savings was at the 3D Art Museum.  A savings of 200 baht.

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

17 hours ago, fruitman said:

Wrong country.  In Thailand, that would be a purple card.

However, the pink card identifies all the foreign Commies (as in "Pinkoes") in our midst.   Throwback from the McCarthy era.   :whistling:

(Edited:  Added emoticon for TV members with no sense of humor.)

Edited by Fookhaht

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

No mine has my yellow book number on it same number as pink ID card.

Different DLTs, My license has PP number, and I used yellow book for last renewal. (Pattaya)

13 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Absolutely.

19 hours ago, balo said:

Not anymore, I visited a few years ago and then my Thai license was accepted , 6 months later they changed that rule. Several people reported a Thai DL did not work anymore. So you need to go pink . 

21 hours ago, fruitman said:

To change money at a bank you need your passport.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Some consistency would be great, lol.

I can see some logic in Thai Airways accepting drivers license, as It has your passport No on it. 

My Thai DL doesn't it has my Thai ID number from my yellow book. :smile: