Brexit meeting ‘deeply frustrating’ says Scotland’s First Minister

webfact

Brexit meeting ‘deeply frustrating’ says Scotland’s First Minister

606x341_347654.jpg

LONDON: -- The British prime minister has called on the devolved parliaments of the UK to stand united on Brexit.

May asked the leaders of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales not to undermine negotiations by striking separate deals with Brussels, although they remain in the dark about exactly what Downing Street’s position is.

“Well, we had a frank exchange of views,” Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon told a reporter. “I don’t mind admitting large parts of the meeting were deeply frustrating. I don’t know any more now about the UK government’s approach to the EU negotiations than I did before I went into the meeting, and I can’t speak for the other devolved administrations but I think there was a degree of frustration shared by all of us about that.

Sturgeon said she wouldn’t let Scotland be driven off a hard-Brexit cliff edge. However, May said that it was not accurate to suggest the country faces a choice between curbing immigration and getting a good trade deal with Europe.

May faces a constitutional crisis, with the threat of a second Scottish independence referendum and renewed tensions in Northern Ireland. Both nations voted to remain, and have made clear they favour access to the single market, while the government has hinted at a harder break with the EU.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-25

I don't believe that's true, the problem is trying not to reveal the tactics and strategy to anyone beforehand, the more people who know the greater the risk the approach will be countered or blocked - it's already been reported that the EU is trying desperately by a variety of means to find out what that strategy is.

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

“Well, we had a frank exchange of views,” Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon told a reporter. “I don’t mind admitting large parts of the meeting were deeply frustrating. I don’t know any more now about the UK government’s approach to the EU negotiations than I did before I went into the meeting, and I can’t speak for the other devolved administrations but I think there was a degree of frustration shared by all of us about that

I wish I was a fly on the wall for that meeting with the Krankie stamping her feet and thumping her fist. As it has been reported why would the prime minister tell her enemies what card she is going to play as the EU would like to also know. The more Sturgeon goes on the less support she will get from her own people, which has been reported already.

She would do better to show she is supporting the government, instead of attacking it, although I doubt she cares.

The EU has been unable to conclude a very big trade deal with Canada because one province in Belgium didn't agree with it,the Brexit negotiations are going to be interesting if only one member can throw a spanner in the works.And something else : the banks in England are already talking about relocating,what a mess. 

4 hours ago, chumpy said:

The EU has been unable to conclude a very big trade deal with Canada because one province in Belgium didn't agree with it,the Brexit negotiations are going to be interesting if only one member can throw a spanner in the works.And something else : the banks in England are already talking about relocating,what a mess. 

What these other countries seem to forget is that until the UK and the EU finally sign off, the UK is still a full voting member with full veto rights and has the ability to block any proposals from other countries. Most of those whining countries are net takers from the EU money pot and put little if anything of substance into the EU.

29 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What these other countries seem to forget is that until the UK and the EU finally sign off, the UK is still a full voting member with full veto rights and has the ability to block any proposals from other countries. Most of those whining countries are net takers from the EU money pot and put little if anything of substance into the EU.

You make a very good point.  The EU  is desperate to keep UK in as a net contributor, so there are all kinds of games going on to find out what May and her team are planning - but no-one tells the opposition what the tactics are till the real game has started (Article 50 invoked).

Sturgeon is losing face in Scotland at a vast rate. Her defeat on the child "named person" scheme has shown Scotland what a warped sense of "right" she actually has. She's lost her majority in the Assembly and things are unravelling fast because of several other issues north of the border like the Forth Road Bridge Fiasco  Scotland might have voted to stay in the EU, but they are are also coming around to voting Sturgeon out.  She's on a shortening leash --  hence her somewhat panicky performance now.

The progress of CETA is playing right into TM's hands.  The EU is seen for the behemoth it is, incapable of making a trade deal with a distinctly friendly country.  Australia recently emphasised their willingness to do a good deal with UK outside of the EU, making the UK's negotiating position on Brexit stronger by a significant step.

No disrespect to my many German friends and acquaintences, but it's somewhat ironic that Germany started 2 world wars trying to conquer Europe and UK, and then was instrumental in creating the third arena for their aspirations. The UK's resistance to conquest is admirable, and the Dutch, Danes, and a few others are sitting up and taking notice now. 

23 minutes ago, jpinx said:

You make a very good point.  The EU  is desperate to keep UK in as a net contributor, so there are all kinds of games going on to find out what May and her team are planning - but no-one tells the opposition what the tactics are till the real game has started (Article 50 invoked).

Sturgeon is losing face in Scotland at a vast rate. Her defeat on the child "named person" scheme has shown Scotland what a warped sense of "right" she actually has. She's lost her majority in the Assembly and things are unravelling fast because of several other issues north of the border like the Forth Road Bridge Fiasco  Scotland might have voted to stay in the EU, but they are are also coming around to voting Sturgeon out.  She's on a shortening leash --  hence her somewhat panicky performance now.

The progress of CETA is playing right into TM's hands.  The EU is seen for the behemoth it is, incapable of making a trade deal with a distinctly friendly country.  Australia recently emphasised their willingness to do a good deal with UK outside of the EU, making the UK's negotiating position on Brexit stronger by a significant step.

No disrespect to my many German friends and acquaintences, but it's somewhat ironic that Germany started 2 world wars trying to conquer Europe and UK, and then was instrumental in creating the third arena for their aspirations. The UK's resistance to conquest is admirable, and the Dutch, Danes, and a few others are sitting up and taking notice now. 

Good Lord! Your fourth paragraph is utter tripe. You clearly do not know the history.

As far as CETA is concerned, the question is why did WE accept it? I'll bet you don't know what the real issues are.

Finally, the EU members would like us to remain but not just for our contributions.

In short, a rather purile contribution.

Edited by Grouse

6 hours ago, chumpy said:

The EU Canada "Negotiations" convinces me even more that we're doing the right thing by leaving.

The banks supposedly leaving is more scaremongering by the remainers. Why should they leave when everything is done online and it is cheaper with less red tape to run a business from London than other major European capitals. 

You don't have to reveal the details of your plan for leaving the EU, however it seems obvious to all that the UK hasn't a clue as to how to approach this.  The cabinet are arguing amongst themselves and so are the brexit team.

The EU have stated categorically that if the UK want a free trade deal then they have to accept the free movement of people and that is not negotiable.  Given that that is the core issue it is understandable why that is the elephant in the room and will be hard to get round. 

44 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The EU Canada "Negotiations" convinces me even more that we're doing the right thing by leaving.

The banks supposedly leaving is more scaremongering by the remainers. Why should they leave when everything is done online and it is cheaper with less red tape to run a business from London than other major European capitals. 

So you agree with CETA? Know what the issues are? Go on, convince me ?

And, London is the most expensive city in Europe outside of Switzerland!

Next contestant....

Edited by Grouse

10 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

She won't get much on the British govt's approach to the Brexit negotiations as the govt themselves don't know what they're doing and in more ways than one.

No doubt. Besides which Sturgeon has already shown to all she's totally untrustworthy.

They have a meeting - all the others act in a dignified manner afterwards while Nippy runs to blab to the media as usual about with her "I,I, I, look at me". Many Scots are frustrated with her too and her constant yelping.

47 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So you agree with CETA? Know what the issues are? Go on, convince me ?

And, London is the most expensive city in Europe outside of Switzerland!

Next contestant....

Be fair Grousey -  the banks leaving is just scaremongering, just like some said the pound would collapse and loose value. Just scaremongering.

51 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

You don't have to reveal the details of your plan for leaving the EU, however it seems obvious to all that the UK hasn't a clue as to how to approach this.  The cabinet are arguing amongst themselves and so are the brexit team.

The EU have stated categorically that if the UK want a free trade deal then they have to accept the free movement of people and that is not negotiable.  Given that that is the core issue it is understandable why that is the elephant in the room and will be hard to get round. 

They certainly would be unwise to share any details with Sturgeon. Someone whose avowed intention is to destroy the UK and who has already lied publicly - like claiming she has the power to veto Brexit after a previous meeting with May.

Quite frankly she would be the last person anyone would trust.

8 hours ago, chumpy said:

That is the somewhat absurd rule. The power of veto rather than a vote in the EU parliament. A somewhat twisted view of democracy.

Getting 27 countries to agree, when some countries are patches of regions with big political differences and must get consensus in all their regions before they can agree is a tremendous ask.

The rights and wrongs of this deal are arguable. But the fact remains a tiny, economically insignificant part of one small member country is dictating what will affect 500 million or so people based on their own agenda.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I wish I was a fly on the wall for that meeting with the Krankie stamping her feet and thumping her fist. As it has been reported why would the prime minister tell her enemies what card she is going to play as the EU would like to also know. The more Sturgeon goes on the less support she will get from her own people, which has been reported already.

She would do better to show she is supporting the government, instead of attacking it, although I doubt she cares.

She will never support the UK government. It's something, like Salmond before her, that she just can't do. Bitch, whine, blame, and sow divisiveness. Her one and only aim is independence with herself in charge regardless of any consequences or costs to anybody.

Many Scots are getting less and less tolerant of her behavior. The same constant rhetoric. Notice how she is always trying to reinforce that it's the people of Scotland who have spoken and she is looking after their interests - then watch her body language. She knows she's lying, ignoring the majority who wanted to remain in the UK or the 1 million who voted to leave the EU. She only represents the nationalists who want independence and an SNP government. In 2014 she was happy to leave the UK and EU for independence. Brexit is just another excuse in her continual undermining of the 2014 referendum when the majority of Scots did speak.

May, the Welsh and Nothern Ireland representatives conduct themselves in an appropriate way. Nippy straight off to the media to blab how important she is and demand this that and the other, threaten this that and the other. as usual. 

She can never be trusted and has demonstrated that clearly.

4 hours ago, jpinx said:

You must be referring to a very different Scotland to the one I know. She narrowly lost a majority in a parliamentary system specifically designed to prevent any one party coming close to a majority - on a third successive term.

Personally, I see her appeal growing as her effectiveness becomes increasingly clear; as the PM appears more and more like Thatcher's less likeable and less capable older sister, Sturgeon can only look gain.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

No doubt. Besides which Sturgeon has already shown to all she's totally untrustworthy.

They have a meeting - all the others act in a dignified manner afterwards while Nippy runs to blab to the media as usual about with her "I,I, I, look at me". Many Scots are frustrated with her too and her constant yelping.

Which Scots? I know literally nobody who has changed their opinion from Yes to No, however I know a of a couple of No voters who are not pro-independence, and I hear of many more. I also hear next to nothing in the way of negative comment about Sturgeon within Scotland other than the Billy Boys and traditional Yoons.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

She knows she's lying, ignoring the majority who wanted to remain in the UK or the 1 million who voted to leave the EU. She only represents the nationalists who want independence and an SNP government. In 2014 she was happy to leave the UK and EU for independence. Brexit is just another excuse in her continual undermining of the 2014 referendum when the majority of Scots did speak.

Hold on - you say she should respect the majority who wanted to remain in the UK, and also make a special case for the minority who want out of the EU? Wanting your cake and eating it springs to mind.

The 2014 referendum was undermined by Westminster, when we were told that the only way to remain in the EU was to stay in the UK, then we get dragged out against our overwhelming will. 

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If she's untrustworthy  because she represents Scotland as she thinks best and that doesn't mean agreeing with everything the British govt says how do you classify someone like Boris Johnston who can't keep quiet but all in his own interests.

9 hours ago, jesimps said:

It's not really scaremongering. Banks may relocate those services which they won't be able to conduct if Britain isn't able to maintain the passporting rights they have now. Passporting allows British banks to sell services across the EU without interference. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36630606

Therefore it's only logical for banks that wish to maintain services to the EU move to one of the financial centres witthin the Bloc like Frankfurt, Paris or Vienna.

19 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The way that the EU is headed at this time the UK may not have to choose between a free trade deal and free movement of people. The EU itself seems to be of a course to self destruction.

It seems to me that the countries who want to take the "hard line" against the UK on Brexit are the new countries who are net beneficiaries from the EU and NOT contributors to the EU. They are willing to talk a lot but when Brexit happens and the EU contributions are cut by a fair amount does anybody truly think they will become net contributors?

The main reason the independence vote failed the first time in Scotland because people are basically afraid of change. The second time around Scotland will be gone, and May knows it. Scotland was sold a bill of goods by Westminister that GB would remain in Europe if Scotland stayed in the fold.....well of course that didn't happen. So next time Bye Bye. Personally I think it will be good for Scotland.