Coffee Plungers

backtofront

Have just ordered three different types of coffee plunger I found on Lazada. They are all well priced (less than B500 each) and I even took two of the one that was being offered B179.  This fully expecting to be disappointed. But I just couldn't persuade myself to pay B1000 at Robinson. Does anyone know where I could have or should have gone instead?

The two ultra cheap plungers arrived with two glass coffee mugs in each package. At B179 on special that was a bargain. My only complaint is that they were packed and dispatched with the plunger rods loose inside the glass containers. Needless to say they both arrived in pieces which required lodging a complaint with Lazada. Much too my surprise I received an email this morning offering me a replacement or a full refund.

That is customer service I can't complain about and I now wait expectantly, for the next delivery. 

On 10/25/2016 at 8:41 AM, HooHaa said:

so you have spent over 1500 thb to avoid a 1000 thb plunger at robinsons?

sounds like false economy to me.

I need a dozen. Hopefully more and am looking at the options available to me. For that matter, for anyone else who might be looking. Have also found Global Hotel Supply who are fast efficient and offering plungers at between B500 and B700 each. 

I tried that plunger and it was just a mess cleaning it after without pouring it all down the drain. This way  is easier for me. I bought a large stainless metal cup to put under it. You can use a hot water maker to fill it if it is high enough. I just heat up water in a hot sauce pan which takes a few minutes and then I pour it in. I get three big cups out of it. Getting good coffee is more of a problem. You can buy this plastic filter at the Japanese product shops where everything is 60 baht. They also have 70 filters for 60 baht. I use the large paper filters that way its not messy. You can make one cup or buy a large metal or glass pitcher to put under this and make a pot.

-font-b-Filter-b-font-font-b-cup-b-font-

Edited by Alive

My wife has bought them before for not much (around 200 baht), but I thought that was on sale at Robinson's.  Either they had a different version that didn't cost 1000 baht or else it hadn't been there.

They have a nice version at Ikea, more in the range of 500 baht (359 for a smaller one, 499 for a larger version):  

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/search/?query=coffee+maker

Kind of off the subject but I use them to make loose tea, not coffee.

On 11/2/2016 at 7:45 AM, honu said:

My wife has bought them before for not much (around 200 baht), but I thought that was on sale at Robinson's.  Either they had a different version that didn't cost 1000 baht or else it hadn't been there.

They have a nice version at Ikea, more in the range of 500 baht (359 for a smaller one, 499 for a larger version):  

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/search/?query=coffee+maker

Kind of off the subject but I use them to make loose tea, not coffee.

Yes I have seen them at Robinsons in Bangrak there was plenty of them

10 hours ago, backtofront said:

At B200? Robinson Kanchanaburi was way more.

Yes,  Was there a few weeks ago just looking around killing  time 

I had left my camera across then street to get cleaned.

I was very surprised at the price and selection   

• 4 weeks later...

I was just walking around the Robinson's next to Asok BTS station, not far down the elevated walkway from Terminal 21, and they did have lots there.  Some of the smallest and least expensive were on sale for very little, 100+ baht, but others spanned a range of sizes, materials, and costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a picture of some basic versions I saw on sale in that Asok Robinsons in the past week or so, going for 95 baht.  

They're smaller (350 ml?), and not the catchier stainless steel type, but I've been using a couple that are similar for a couple of years, one at home and one in the office.

French Press, Asok Robinson.jpg

The cheap ones inevitably break within a year.

I didn't know there were stainless steel ones available so I bought a 'Bialem' Espresso coffee maker, which I had forgotten about over the the years. Best coffee in Buriram I tell you!

bialem.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found plungers in Kanchanaburi at Hill Coffee. They are on the main road out of Kanchanaburi travelling towards Bangkok. Pass the bus terminal and tourism office and they are on the right just before the next set of lights.

Edited by backtofront

• 11 months later...
On 12/15/2016 at 9:43 AM, cooked said:

The cheap ones inevitably break within a year.

I didn't know there were stainless steel ones available so I bought a 'Bialem' Espresso coffee maker, which I had forgotten about over the the years. Best coffee in Buriram I tell you!

bialem.jpg

This is a different style of coffee preparation... how does it enhance the coffee taste?  Also I have noticed a type of Siphon Coffee preparation...reminds me of Chemistry experiment.      Sometimes it is just enough to get a whiff of the strong coffee beans...

The trick with cheap cafetieres (ones typically less than 300 baht) is to leave a dinner spoon in the glass when adding the hot water. The spoon acts to take the heat out of the water quicker than the really thin glass can and prevents cracking.

Otherwise, anything from around 800 baht and up should have decent thickness of glass and anything made by Bodum is pretty much indestructible.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:20 PM, Rhys said:

This is a different style of coffee preparation... how does it enhance the coffee taste?  Also I have noticed a type of Siphon Coffee preparation...reminds me of Chemistry experiment.      Sometimes it is just enough to get a whiff of the strong coffee beans...

It's stovetop espresso... I have one (though not a Bialem).  I think it's okay, but you have to mind your grind.  I've read that coarser than espresso grind with these is fine, and don't tamp it down hard like you would with an espresso machine.  I bought some espresso grind at the same time I bought the maker and it works okay if I don't tamp it down hard and don't add anything to do (like I've tried adding cinnamon with the coffee so the water brews through it)... otherwise the water won't transfer to the top/make the coffee.  (and I don't think it's that it's a cheaper brand... I think that's just the way these work, from what I can gather reading on the internet.)  I might try it with a coarser grind some time and see what happens.

A little late to chime in, but if you search for "French Press", you'll get some results you don't get with "coffee plunger".  Not necessarily more results, but some different ones.

I've always heard them referred to as French presses, and did some searching to confirm.