Small Clarification Needed for Long-Term Non-Immigrant Visa Renewing

I am researching about the various Thai visas and there is something I would like to be sure about. With a Non-Immigrant visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of 90 days, of which after this period, you need to leave Thailand and re-enter to get an extension of 90 days. You can do this a number of times, therefore making this a 'Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant Visa'.

- How many times can you do border back-and-forths? Can you do this indefinitely? After some point, do you need to get a new ME Non-Immigrant visa?

- If you continually get ME Non-Immigrant visas, does that mean that, by crossing the border every 90 days and getting new ME Non-Immigrant visas, you could essentially stay in Thailand almost permanently (or unless/until visas are changed)?

Regards.

Firstly, you need to clarify the category of multiple entry Non Imm visa you are referring to. Are you referring to Non Imm B (work, business), Non Imm O (spouse, child, over 50 not working) Non Imm Ed (studying) or what? Some of these are relatively easy to get if you meet the requirements. Some are much more difficult or next to impossible. As a general principle, if you can get a one-year multiple entry Non O visa,  this allows you to make unlimited entries to Thailand for 12 months of 90 days each. By making an entry just before the visa expires, you can go for almost 15 months between visa applications.

To be clear, if you go to a consulate and say "one year multiple entry Non Imm visa please", they will ask on what basis and then give you the list of required documents. Consulates vary greatly in which kinds of Non Imm visas they can issue (not infrequently, a specific consulate cannot issue any multiple entry Non Imm visas).

5 hours ago, KevT said:

I am researching about the various Thai visas and there is something I would like to be sure about. With a Non-Immigrant visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of 90 days, of which after this period, you need to leave Thailand and re-enter to get an extension of 90 days. You can do this a number of times, therefore making this a 'Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant Visa'.

You have to apply for a multiple entry non immigrant visa in order to do what you wrote about. It is new 90 day entry not an extension you get when you leave an re-enter the country.

• Like 1

It would either be a ME Non-Immigrant O or ED visa, depending if I am studying or doing volunteering.

So,

- How many times can you do border back-and-forths? Can you do this indefinitely? After some point, do you need to get a new ME Non-Immigrant visa?

- If you continually get ME Non-Immigrant visas, does that mean that, by crossing the border every 90 days and getting new ME Non-Immigrant visas, you could essentially stay in Thailand almost permanently (or unless/until visas are changed)?

12 minutes ago, KevT said:

It would either be a ME Non-Immigrant O or ED visa, depending if I am studying or doing volunteering.

So,

A multiple entry non immigrant visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

With a non-ed visa you might be asked for proof you are attending school when entering the country. For a non-o visa for volunteer work they might ask to see your work permit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KevT said:

Okay, but after the one year, what happens? Can you get a new ME Non-Immigrant visa? And then have to redo the every 90-day border back-and-forths?

To spend a longer time in Thailand, you will either need another valid visa, or an extension of stay.

You will have trouble trying to use Non Imm Ed visas for an extended period of time.

If you have a work permit for volunteer work, in conjunction with an entry on  a Non Imm O visa, towards the end of your permission to stay, you should be able to apply for a one-year extension of stay on the basis of working. This negates the need for border runs every 90 days, but you will need a legit work permit.

• Like 1

Lets assume you can get a Non O multiple entry visa good for one year.

You will get a 90 day entry stamp for each entry during that  one year which will allow you to remain in Thailand for 90 days with each entry.

Your visa will expire one year after you originally recieved it.

You may leave Thailand  and return on the last day of your visa validity.

Even though your visa expires the next day you will still get another "permission to stay atamp" on your entry to Thailand in your passport on entry.

That "permission to stay stamp" will be dated for 90 days from your entry date, and legally allows you to stay until it expires.

No you may also EXTEND the original one year Multiple entry visa in Thailand if you meet the requirements for such an extemsion.

Typical rasons for such extensions are employment, retirement, or marriage to a Thai.

Each of these has a set of requirements you will need to meet for such an extension.

if you meet the requirements you can get a one year extension to your original Non O visa.

That extension may be renewed annually as long as you continue to meet the requirements each year.

If you meet the specific requirements you may get a extension renewal each year, even after your original non O one year multiple entry visa has expired.

It is meeting the requirements for an extension annually that allows you to  legally stay in Thailand even  after your original Non O multi entry visa has expired.

There are people living here in thailand who entere Thailand years ago.

Even though their original one year multi entry visa has actully expired, perhaps several years ago, they stay in Thailand legally by meeting the requirements each year for their annual extension.

Again, the reason for that extension may be marriage to a Thai, employment in Thailand (working legally in Thailand), or meeting the requirements for retirement in Thailand.

When you are staying in Thaland legally on such a valid extension, you will need to do 90 day reporting each 90 days AND you will need a re=entry permit to lrave Thailand and return for each time you leave Thailand.

This should not be difficult to understand if you just know the rules and requirements.

Basically what you do is:

• Enter Thailand on a valid visa
  • Mett the requirements to extend your visa for one year
  • Get a one year extension by meeting the requirements for your particular reason for your extension.
  • renew your one yesr extension annually by showing you still meet the particular requirements for your ectension
  • do your 90 day reporting as required
  • Us a exit re-entry permit to exit Thailand and return properly.

If you do these things you can legally live and remain in Thailand for years at a time even when your original visa that brought you to Thailand has long expired.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KevT said:

Okay, but after the one year, what happens? Can you get a new ME Non-Immigrant visa? And then have to redo the every 90-day border back-and-forths?

As long as you meet the qualifications for the ME non-immigrant visa,  yes.   Don't overthink it.  It is actually possible to get up to 15 months from one ME non imm visa.  Right before the visa expires, you do a border run.   After that, you obtain a new visa.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

No you may also EXTEND the original one year Multiple entry visa in Thailand if you meet the requirements for such an extemsion.

if you meet the requirements you can get a one year extension to your original Non O visa.

This should not be difficult to understand if you just know the rules and requirements.

Basically what you do is:

• Mett the requirements to extend your visa for one year

Very informative post, but you cannot extend a Visa.

You only extend the permission to stay of an expiring Visa.

3 hours ago, Faz said:

Very informative post, but you cannot extend a Visa.

You only extend the permission to stay of an expiring Visa.

Strictly speaking, the visa has nothing to do with anything. You are extending your permission to stay which is otherwise coming to an end.