Thai Tourism Minister Talks Up 5-Year Visas

webfact

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Just get rid of the 90 day reporting. 

OMG!  w00t.gif  From the article...

Kobkarn said her ministry would push the Immigration Bureau to loosen measures, such as dropping 90-day check-ins in favor of an annual system.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Lol. What country gives its workers 5 yr vacations?

Real tourists don't need anything longer than 30 days or so

As explained at the Chiang Mai seminar, the Thai Minister of Tourism considers the retiree population to be "long stay tourists".    

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If you're a resident here, you don't need a five year visa. You can stay here as long as you can meet the requirements, which the majority of long term married stayers and retirees etc, can do.. 

which is  ok until they  move the goalposts

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Traditionally, the existing residents have been grandfathered and only new applicants have a wider goal. Not a time to panic.

My Last extension "married to a Thai" ( 10 years) i was "pushed" that next time I apply they would really want a "retirement" extension instead of the supporting a Thai Wife...............the officer was quite pushy about this. Ill see when I go again in March.

Its  not a panic I just want some stability, Im even looking at the 20 year Elite Visa for next year of they start getting  funny about it.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

5 year visas are readily now.  Thailand elite visa:  5 years for 500kbaht, or 10 years for 800 k baht.  The visas are not the only issue.  I think you will find that the expats that live there are so tired of the constant 90 day reporting.  For somebody that has been approved to stay there long time, a one year reporting should be more than adequate.  At least the 90 day kind of can be done online or by mail, but lately you can read all the accounts of new forms, information required, etc.

I don't have a lot of faith or trust in the Thailand Elite visas, because of their history and the inherent nature of the government officials who are involved with them.

But, I did find it amusing that Khaosod writes this entire article on the tourism minister and her blatherings, and makes absolutely no mention of the fact that Thailand Elite Visas already even exist.

33 minutes ago, kannot said:

My Last extension "married to a Thai" ( 10 years) i was "pushed" that next time I apply they would really want a "retirement" extension instead of the supporting a Thai Wife...............the officer was quite pushy about this. Ill see when I go again in March.

Its  not a panic I just want some stability, Im even looking at the 20 year Elite Visa for next year of they start getting  funny about it.

If you can afford the 20 year Elite Visa, go for it. Good luck with the "pushy" officer in March. Perhaps you declare in excess of B65,000 a month and thus they can save themselves a bit of bother?

5 year would  be great as long it doesn't cost a arm and a leg. But I would probably forget how to the paper work by then ha.

The thing they need to do is get rid of the 90 day reporting. nothing but a.pain in the arse and some.people have to travel a.long way to report. must cost lot in wages, time and paperwork. total unnecessary. if I move I take in a  new paperwork to inform them I have changed address. it's the ones that ignore the rules.and we all have pay the price for these irresponsible individuals.

The quartely or proposed annual reporting system needs to be scrapped altogether. If you've been granted a visa for a specific period of time i.e. one or more years the only time you would have to visit immigration would be to extend it or obtain a new visa.

Thailand needs to join the 21st century and stop treating residents who pay taxes and contribute to the economy like common criminals.

4 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I don't mind the 90 day reports, usually in and out in 10 min max.

What I do mind is attitude of those in government that we are all criminals of one sort or another, the invasions into our personal lives without basis, the reports of visits by immigration to long term residents homes without reason, the leeway to demand any sort of document not on immigration requirement list by local fiefdom offices, the requirement that if you stray for one night a report must be filed or face fine. The negative attitude of the government sets the tone for the general population towards us.

Now, truer words is not often to hear on TV.

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Once a year upon renewal of out retirement visa, if they require us for some reason, they have our address and mobile numbers, and if we change address, its up to us to advise them within 7 days or get a fine, simple really, less paperwork, less trees being cut down, less vehicles polluting Thailand for the trip to the immigration office (1 hour and 30 minutes from where I live). That or fix the online system, last time I checked, this was the 21st century, I think.

They could just remove the reporting requirement altogether and track us on our cell phones. I think everybody could live with this compromise. Problem solved.

It is truly an astonishing  day in the life of this country, when a minister talks about being competitive, or offers an idea that is progressive in its scope. This would be a truly remarkable achievement for the nation if they could get this bill past the xenophobes, and passed into law. Keeping up with the neighbors is not something they have had much success with for the past several years. I for one hope something like this comes to pass. 

17 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

5 year visas are readily now.  Thailand elite visa:  5 years for 500kbaht, or 10 years for 800 k baht.  The visas are not the only issue.  I think you will find that the expats that live there are so tired of the constant 90 day reporting.  For somebody that has been approved to stay there long time, a one year reporting should be more than adequate.  At least the 90 day kind of can be done online or by mail, but lately you can read all the accounts of new forms, information required, etc.

only those who have been in and out of the country since 2013 can register their 90 day report.

17 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

I will pay ZERO attention to what they say. But their actions can have my undivided attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol I agree. Thailand is "all about" talk. Action? lol lol lol Not so much.... well unless there's easy/fast baht to be had. 

10 hours ago, Beats56 said:

5 year would  be great as long it doesn't cost a arm and a leg. But I would probably forget how to the paper work by then ha.

The thing they need to do is get rid of the 90 day reporting. nothing but a.pain in the arse and some.people have to travel a.long way to report. must cost lot in wages, time and paperwork. total unnecessary. if I move I take in a  new paperwork to inform them I have changed address. it's the ones that ignore the rules.and we all have pay the price for these irresponsible individuals.

10 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Rubbish it's a old law never enforced. But now there desperate for money. There not smart they rely on tip offs. They also pick certain VISA holders on file. Basically they found a new way to earn. 

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

If you're a resident here, you don't need a five year visa. You can stay here as long as you can meet the requirements, which the majority of long term married stayers and retirees etc, can do.. 

17 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Lol. What country gives its workers 5 yr vacations?

Real tourists don't need anything longer than 30 days or so

And then, there are the "rest of us" who are not married or 50, yet - but have adequate offshore-incomes to live here permanently.

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't have a lot of faith or trust in the Thailand Elite visas, because of their history and the inherent nature of the government officials who are involved with them.

But, I did find it amusing that Khaosod writes this entire article on the tourism minister and her blatherings, and makes absolutely no mention of the fact that Thailand Elite Visas already even exist.

Yes, they could have pointed out that there is an existing 5-year option, but that 99% of those who would otherwise spend their foreign-sourced capital here would never literally burn that much money for a visa, so they are loosing Billions of Baht per year in fees and foreign-sourced capital by propping that up.

5 hours ago, meatboy said:

more realistic,1yr.extension 1,900bht. 5yrs.near enough 10,000bht. WE WISH.

I'd jump at the chance to pay 10K Baht per-year in annual payments.  Even 20K/yr plus showing more money in the bank would be fine, too.  Just don't ask me to burn more than a year's living costs for the thing up-front. 

Visas to facilitate those staying for extended periods would make Thailand more competitive with neighbors such as Malaysia, where 10-year visas are available,

I ran this through a grammarchecker and its ok but the meaning escapes me

why would Thailand become more competitive?

5 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

Visas to facilitate those staying for extended periods would make Thailand more competitive with neighbors such as Malaysia, where 10-year visas are available,

I ran this through a grammarchecker and its ok but the meaning escapes me

why would Thailand become more competitive?

Meaning, other countries are more competitive at recruiting foreign-sourced income and investment, due to making it easier for foreigners to live long-term and feel welcome there.