Will the Ice Rink at Pattaya Harbor ever open?

finewine

1 hour ago, wump said:

I was just to open a topic on this one. Anyone been down there lately? Is it open?

I peeked inside a couple weeks ago and they were were working on it. No rush to finish during low season--if they're going to rush at all.

23 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

How about Fitness First, that one must surely have opened already in this highly successful mall.

Though you're allowed to ask, I'm no longer allowed to answer off-topic posts. But for as long as this lasts, here you go, ignoring the silly little sneer: no doubt Fitness First wisely realized that this location in a family entertainment mall wouldn't work for them in an oversaturated market. Besides the much cheaper Universal just up the street and cheaper Tony's gyms all over town, the more upscale Fitness 7 just opened up in what had already proved a good location. Not to mention the nice hotel gyms, of course.

Meanwhile I happened to note the other day that Tony's is pulling out of Wong Amart as the anticipated Russian market dried up.

Edited by JSixpack

50 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Though you're allowed to ask, I'm no longer allowed to answer off-topic posts. But for as long as this lasts, here you go, ignoring the silly little sneer: no doubt Fitness First wisely realized that this location in a family entertainment mall wouldn't work for them in an oversaturated market. Besides the much cheaper Universal just up the street and cheaper Tony's gyms all over town, the more upscale Fitness 7 just opened up in what had already proved a good location. Not to mention the nice hotel gyms, of course.

Meanwhile I happened to note the other day that Tony's is pulling out of Wong Amart as the anticipated Russian market dried up.

How funny that you always have an answer sucked out of your thumb to make your boat float.

Universe gym and all the Tony's gyms were here long before Harbor mall, which profiles itself as a entertainment mall by the way so ideal for a gym since they advertise many sports activities, even laid the first stone. And since you always are so confident that Pattaya tourism is ever increasing it's strange that now at once it has become over saturated.

Calling a gym without aircon, as fitness 7 is, an upscale gym really is really pushing it though. By the way that location has been available for years, so why didn't fitness first reserve it first if they really had any intention to open a branch in Pattaya.

But actually they never had any intention, because many years ago there were already rumours that they would open in Central and also take over the Cawow location.

None of those unfounded rumours ever materialized, similar to the unfounded rumour that would open in Harbor.

So what is your take on the ice rink, which you were so confident about not so long ago, that it would open 2 months ago?

I visited this white elephant mall only once as I saw enough right away, so could somebody confirm if they are actually building an ice rink, or is the whole concept just another pie in the sky?

I better don't ask about the snow land that should have opened in September, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Universe gym and all the Tony's gyms were here long before Harbor mall, which profiles itself as a entertainment mall by the way so ideal for a gym since they advertise many sports activities, even laid the first stone.

No, a gym isn't much of a place to go to be entertained, and the mostly Asian families coming to the mall would hardly be interested in spending their time pumping iron and working out. As I noted, that fact seems to have become clear to the management of Fitness 1st, if not to you.

And since you always are so confident that Pattaya tourism is ever increasing it's strange that now at once it has become over saturated.

Not in the least strange. It's always possible in any market for supply to outstrip a growing demand; it commonly happens. Duh.

Calling a gym without aircon, as fitness 7 is, an upscale gym really is really pushing it though. By the way that location has been available for years, so why didn't fitness first reserve it first if they really had any intention to open a branch in Pattaya.

Oh, it holds in comparison w/ the ubiquitous Tony's. Universe has improved at their new location, too, as you know of course. ;) But you don't know that the Fitness 7 location was "available" at the time Fitness 1st was persuaded of the opportunity to reserve a spot in the new mall. It was "vacant," yes.

But even it it was "available" and matched the Fitness 1st requirements, you must realize that the lowly market analysts at Fitness 1st have nothing approaching the extraordinary expertise, the uncanny prescience, we have right here on our forum!

But actually they never had any intention, because many years ago there were already rumours that they would open in Central and also take over the Cawow location.

I really, really wouldn't pay attention to rumors, esp. on the forum. A rumor hardly determines their intention, which is their business anyway. :)

So what is your take on the ice rink, which you were so confident about not so long ago, that it would open 2 months ago?

How would I possibly know, as my post above suggested. In all humility I leave the firm predictions here to our experts, as they've proven so reliable in the past. :) So, no, I never said when it would open of course.

I visited this white elephant mall only once as I saw enough right away, so could somebody confirm if they are actually building an ice rink, or is the whole concept just another pie in the sky?

I better don't ask about the snow land that should have opened in September, isn't it?

As I noted above, I saw some workers in there a couple weeks ago. It looked like they were building an ice skating rink. But what if they were merely pretending, heh heh? What if you interviewed them and they simply lied to you? I mean, you could claim so. There's just no way you're ever going to KNOW--for the sake of substantial financial investments at risk and sound sleep at night--until the day it opens, if it does. Till then, just gon' have to suffer in darkness. :)

After you've lived here a while longer, you'll come to realize that Thai schedules are as poetic as Thai restaurant menus. The mighty TVF Pointing Finger Of Justice believes every schedule or announced goal is some sort of ironclad contract that Thais are obligated to follow or even necessarily feel they're obligated to follow. (Well, they often do try.) Hence the fatuousness of all the sneering, based on a conveniently false assumption that merely reflects a failure to accept or even understand a basic cultural difference. Different Cultures See Deadlines Differently I suppose there's at least one reason in there that the average Thai seems a lot happier than the average TVF poster.

Edited by JSixpack

They made an ice rink in Singapore ( 3 now apparently ) way back in the 1970s and it was popular with the locals, so unless Pattaya Thais are not interested ( surely clever people would have done their research first, would they not? ), it should be aimed at the locals and not as a tourist attraction. Ergo, high season should be irrelevant to the construction of this one.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I hope the ice rink does open, and if it does I think it will probably do quite well. I've taken my young'un to the one at Mega Bangna a couple of times and found it to be something a bit different to do and good fun. I'm all in favour of anything that gets kids away from watching TV and playing with their iPads... Good luck to the operators. I hope it works out.

I hope the ice rink does open, and if it does I think it will probably do quite well. I've taken my young'un to the one at Mega Bangna a couple of times and found it to be something a bit different to do and good fun. I'm all in favour of anything that gets kids away from watching TV and playing with their iPads... Good luck to the operators. I hope it works out.

So happy the Thai soaps are off till 19th of the month, Thailand is getting smarter by the day, with that nonsense on the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They made an ice rink in Singapore ( 3 now apparently ) way back in the 1970s and it was popular with the locals, so unless Pattaya Thais are not interested ( surely clever people would have done their research first, would they not? ), it should be aimed at the locals and not as a tourist attraction. Ergo, high season should be irrelevant to the construction of this one.

The authoritative TVF TAT refuses to recognize BKK Thai tourists as tourists, so they must also be "locals." But since the BKK Thai "non-tourist" locals also visit PTY more often during the "cool" season (we've already canceled high season, right?), then the rink should appeal to them as well; and so the high "cool" season will indeed be relevant.

Though we tend to think in binary around here, it's really not an either/or proposition. The mall is marketed for both locals AND non-locals. And yes (to anticipate the Only One objection), the locals AND non-locals can enjoy BOTH Harbor AND CentralFestival. AND Terminal 21 as well when it opens--even all on the same day. ;) Needless to say, this radical idea also violates our Fixed Pie rule (the size of the Pie--suppliers, vendors, consumers, and of course money supply--having been fixed permanently prior to the visa fees debacle of 2003; no further growth permitted), but that's another discussion.

Edited by JSixpack

• 3 weeks later...
I looked behind the plastic curtain this Sunday  and saw no construction going on  the breeze block walls not anywhere near finished
opening by years end  I would say unlikely.

Sheesh john, it was SUNDAY. Only flush farangs building their retirement estates pay for Sunday construction.

On 07/11/2016 at 9:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That's nothing, one can go skiing in Dubai.

This Sunday at the Harbor Mall was very quiet indeed   the mobile phone and computer floors where virtually deserted  just lots of very bored looking shop minders...  The Thai kids where missing,  there where no mascot type figures roaming around ( Pokemon, Minions etc )

I didn't get to the top floor where the  kids adventure playground is maybe they where all there. The initial  huge rush of "customers" has certainly died down  even the  very comfy sofas had far less people sleeping on them.  :sad: