Connect TV to internet via WiFi - newbie needs help

taotoo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Amazon has just come out with a new 2nd gen version of their Fire TV stick. It retails from Amazon for $40 online, comes with its own voice-capable remote control, and is a great deal, IF you're an American with access to Amazon or from one of the European countries (UK, Germany, a few others) where Amazon has an online presence.

Basically, it's a small HDMI stick that plugs into the HDMI slot on your TV, runs its own apps and operating system, and includes wifi capability so it connects to the wifi signal from your router. The device's main purpose is to serve as an access point to Amazon's many online services, such as Amazon Prime Instant Video, Amazon Prime Music, etc etc.

But, Amazon also has its own app store for its Fire TV devices, so you download other free apps directly from there for the device such as for YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and many others. Right now, there is NOT an official Kodi app available in the Amazon app store, but the official Kodi app can be sideloaded and used on the Amazon Fire TV device, as can some but not all regular Android/Google Play Store apps. (The Amazon Fire TV devices run a Amazon modified version of Android).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDKK/

If you're someone who has access to an internet connection that shows you as being in the U.S., U.K., Germany, etc. and thus are able to use Amazon's own online services such as Instant Video (which are only available to internet addresses in certain countries, not as yet including Thailand), then the Fire TV stick is probably the best value streaming device deal on the market. But if you're not from one of those areas, don't have access to an Amazon account and simply want to run regular Android apps such as Youtube, then a regular Android device is probably a better choice.

BTW, another similar but not geographically limited approach to the same end is to buy a similarly low-cost Google Chromecast device, which also is an HDMI dongle that plugs into your TV and also provides it with a wifi connection. Once installed, the Chromecast allows you to play Youtube and other online content to your TV from your computer's browser, from an Android tablet, and even from an Android phone.

PS0029.jpg

One difference between the two is the Amazon Fire TV stick is basically running and showing its own operating system on your TV, whereas the Chromecast is basically just mirroring to your TV the web content you're already playing elsewhere on your computer, tablet, smartphone, etc. But the Chromecast doesn't have the same kind of geographic/location limitations as does the Fire TV, which can only be used in conjunction with an Amazon.com account.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/tv/chromecast/

Chromecast works with iOS as well not just Android

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Amazon has just come out with a new 2nd gen version of their Fire TV stick. It retails from Amazon for $40 online, comes with its own voice-capable remote control, and is a great deal, IF you're an American with access to Amazon or from one of the European countries (UK, Germany, a few others) where Amazon has an online presence.

Basically, it's a small HDMI stick that plugs into the HDMI slot on your TV, runs its own apps and operating system, and includes wifi capability so it connects to the wifi signal from your router. The device's main purpose is to serve as an access point to Amazon's many online services, such as Amazon Prime Instant Video, Amazon Prime Music, etc etc.

But, Amazon also has its own app store for its Fire TV devices, so you download other free apps directly from there for the device such as for YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and many others. Right now, there is NOT an official Kodi app available in the Amazon app store, but the official Kodi app can be sideloaded and used on the Amazon Fire TV device, as can some but not all regular Android/Google Play Store apps. (The Amazon Fire TV devices run a Amazon modified version of Android).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDKK/

If you're someone who has access to an internet connection that shows you as being in the U.S., U.K., Germany, etc. and thus are able to use Amazon's own online services such as Instant Video (which are only available to internet addresses in certain countries, not as yet including Thailand), then the Fire TV stick is probably the best value streaming device deal on the market. But if you're not from one of those areas, don't have access to an Amazon account and simply want to run regular Android apps such as Youtube, then a regular Android device is probably a better choice.

BTW, another similar but not geographically limited approach to the same end is to buy a similarly low-cost Google Chromecast device, which also is an HDMI dongle that plugs into your TV and also provides it with a wifi connection. Once installed, the Chromecast allows you to play Youtube and other online content to your TV from your computer's browser, from an Android tablet, and even from an Android phone.

PS0029.jpg

One difference between the two is the Amazon Fire TV stick is basically running and showing its own operating system on your TV, whereas the Chromecast is basically just mirroring to your TV the web content you're already playing elsewhere on your computer, tablet, smartphone, etc. But the Chromecast doesn't have the same kind of geographic/location limitations as does the Fire TV, which can only be used in conjunction with an Amazon.com account.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/tv/chromecast/

Thanks for all that. Both look like good options, and I'd rather buy something from a proper brand if possible. I like the simplicity of Chromecast.

However Amazon won't let me use a Thai delivery address, and Google won't accept my Thai post code.

Good to know about these things though.

Two concerns I'd always have about buying cheap Chinese stuff from unknown vendors are:

--whether the device comes with pre-installed access to the Google Play Store as opposed to the various Chinese app stores.

--uncertain build quality, potential issues with Chinese language on the device, and lack of English-language support/documentation.

8 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Thanks for all that. Both look like good options, and I'd rather buy something from a proper brand if possible. I like the simplicity of Chromecast.

However Amazon won't let me use a Thai delivery address, and Google won't accept my Thai post code.

Good to know about these things though.

It's possible some of their devices may be available thru third party retailers here, probably the Chromecast more likely that the Fire TV devices.

http://www.thaichromecast.com/

I think there was a time when the bookstore at Central Chidlom used to stock such things.  But I haven't checked on the status lately. Maybe Google around or search the forum threads here on that subject. EBay is another possible option.

I buy them online from Amazon and Google in the U.S., and then have them forwarded here via regular mail.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Two concerns I'd always have about buying cheap Chinese stuff from unknown vendors are:

--whether the device comes with pre-installed access to the Google Play Store as opposed to the various Chinese app stores.

--uncertain build quality, potential issues with Chinese language on the device, and lack of English-language support/documentation.

Yes - after googling it it seems those are issues, along with crashing, non-availability of firmware updates, etc etc.

If u have a laptop / tablet / smart phone just load kodi for free ..... I've been using it a long time , easy to update and add more apps ....no subscriptions  all free  and no need for additional hardware ... 

I don't see the point to pay for all  stuff out there when it's available free .

Half decent Internet connection and bobs yer uncle ...

Edited by Macthehat

51 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

If u have a laptop / tablet / smart phone just load kodi for free ..... I've been using it a long time , easy to update and add more apps ....no subscriptions  all free  and no need for additional hardware ... 

I don't see the point to pay for all  stuff out there when it's available free .

Half decent Internet connection and bobs yer uncle ...

Yes that's one option - presumably I'd need a Chromecast to get it onto the tv.

3 hours ago, Chicog said:

Fire Stick is infinitely preferable to Roku.

Not least because you can load Kodi on it.

Roku is the second most insular ecosystem behind Apple.

I have all three -- original Chromcast dongle, original Roku stick, and several varieties of Fire TV devices.

As time passed and experience grew, the ones I've come to like and use the most are the Fire TV devices, but I'm an American with access to Amazon accounts and services so that helps. But still, on my Fire TV devices, the apps I probably use the most are Sling TV, YouTube and Kodi -- all of which are unrelated to Amazon and its services.

I got the Chromecast and have used it just fine. But for me, I like having the OS and user interface on the TV itself as Amazon Fire TV's do, as opposed to always having to send the content from a PC or portable device to a TV. If I want to watch something on TV, I like simply using a remote control to control the TV and apps on the TV, as opposed to picking up a phone or tablet or opening a PC browser, and sending the content to a TV.

I also have and use the Roku stick as well, but over time, it's pretty much faded into the background for me. For starters, Roku is its own separate ecosystem, so you can't use Android apps there and you really can't customize the user interface too much. However, it does have the advantage, unlike the Chromecast, of having its own OS and own remote control, meaning you can control the TV directly without involving other devices.  Roku is supposed to be having a major overhaul of its OS coming sometime soon, but right now, it feels very dated. They also just came out with a whole new line of higher priced, more up to date and powerful devices, replacing their prior line.

49 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Another way, depending on your equipment at home, is if you have an HDMI port-equipped laptop. If so, just run Kodi or whatever other apps or services you want on your laptop, and send the video as a second screen from your laptop to your TV using an HDMI cable connecting the two.

If you have an older laptop that lacks an HDMI port, you also can do the same thing using other kinds of video and audio out ports between the laptop and the TV. But that gets a little bit more complicated, and depends on what kind of video out port your laptop may have and support.

1 hour ago, taotoo said:

No ... u could use a hdmi cable most devices have now or a MHL to HDMI .

Essentially one end of an MHL cable will plug into the micro USB port on your phone or tablet while the other will plug into an HDMI port on a television or monitor and your phone's screen will then be mirrored on the external screen.

Screenshot_20161029-164546.png

Edited by Macthehat

Here's what the Fire TV home screen looks like:

(On Fire TV, the top row shows the recent apps you have used and installed (which you can control and customize), whereas the lower rows show the content chosen and recommended by Amazon that the user cannot generally control).

Fire TV Home.jpg

Here's what the Roku Home screen looks like:

(on Roku, all the apps shown are just the particular ones you choose to use and install)

Roku Stick Home.jpg

9 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

No ... u could use a hdmi cable most devices have now or a MHL to HDMI .

Essentially one end of an MHL cable will plug into the micro USB port on your phone or tablet while the other will plug into an HDMI port on a television or monitor and your phone's screen will then be mirrored on the external screen.

I have a bunch of Android devices at home, but most of them AFAIK don't support MHL.  It's really going to depend on the particular devices one has a home.

As I mentioned above, an HDMI cable connection between a laptop or even Chromebook and a TV is another way to the desired result.

A mini display port to HDMI adapter works fine on my Microsoft Surface.  The MDP to VGA doesn't work well without the Surface Dock.  New machines seem to favor the MDP over the mini-HDMI.  The Microsoft Surface 3 is now being discounted so the 128 GB model is now available for under $400 on Amazon.  It will ship to Japan for an extra $41 including duty. Probably much higher duty for Thailand though.  I can recommend it as a sturdy and fast machine.  The extra keyboard and dock will cost you around $300 though.  It has strong Bluetooth 4.0 so a Bluetooth keyboard (and mouse) will work just fine.

Well I bought an A95x as it was all I could find locally. It looks like it might be the same thing as an MXQ Pro. The frame rate seems quite low when using Youtube, but it's got Kodi etc installed so will play around and see if I can get something usable out of it. Will keep an eye out for the Amazon Fire too.

Interested to find that Lazada Thailand does have one retailer that's selling Amazon Fire TV boxes and sticks.  Unfortunately when I look today,. the web page info says they have just 1 Fire TV box in stock, and are out of stock for now for the Fire TV sticks, with the listing showing "in stock soon."

http://www.lazada.co.th/amazon-fire-tv-6833699.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/amazon-fire-tv-stick-3197902.html

The stick is probably out of stock, stock coming soon, because Amazon has just phased out their original Fire TV stick and just recently announced and began selling a new version Fire TV stick 2. So the original version stock has been pretty well depleted, and the new version, just having come to market, probably hasn't made its way into the hands of the Thai retailer as yet.

I read a review of the Nexbox A95x.   It sounds a little weak.  I continue to favor using my notebooks to run my video especially since the greater amount of RAM accomodates buffering of the video stream better when there are a lot of users eating up bandwidth on my node.  I buy long, good quality HDMI cables through Amazon here in Japan and use them with the appropriate mini HDMI or mini Display Port adaptors when I'm in Bangkok for the winter.  I have a USB dongle that supports an IR remote and I can connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the computer if I need to.  The USB dongle was cheap at Phantip and I have a strong Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and I keep the IR remote and keyboard at my side so I don't have to get up and go to the computer to control the video.  I may try the Fire Stick 2 but I've had better results so far by using my computers and tablets than I've gotten with Android sticks and boxes.  To my mind, the speed and memory capacity of the computers make a difference and the cabled HDMI connection is less flaky than wireless.

I've gone both ways at different points in time. Originally, I had no set-top/OTT devices and was doing everything from my laptop to my PC, which worked (and still works fine). But then later, I first got a Roku stick, then a Chromecast, then finally a couple of Amazon Fire TV devices. As I mentioned above, I've ended up using the Fire TV interface the most and as my primary viewing tool.

There are still a few things that I only can do via my laptop, and I still have that connection and use it periodically. But I've found over time that I like being able to leave my laptop free and unoccupied while using the Fire TV interface or something similar to view the TV. Why?  Well, that way, I can read email on my laptop or manage files or download and install programs and even restart my PC if needed -- all while having my TV broadcast uninterrupted, something I couldn't do back when I was relying for the laptop PC as my sole internet-connected TV interface. It's kind of the difference between having 1 screen vs. 2 screens available to you.

Likewise, I like having the easy to use remote control and remote control interface with devices like the Fire TV and similar, where I can lean back/sit back in a chair or bed and control and see everything on the TV easily -- on/off, volume, channels, FF-RWD, etc. In the past, when I was using the laptop PC, didn't really have any remote control solution that worked in the same way, and it was pretty hard to see the small Windows controls on my TV from 8-10 feet away, even when I did noodle around with Bluetooth or USB wifi remote controllers. And if I wanted to change to a different program source, it meant having to get up, go sit down at the laptop, and either click a bookmark or type in a web address for the different place I wanted to go, or if using Kodi on the PC for example, navigate with the mouse to the desired place, and then go back to where I was sitting.

Also, FWIW re the OP's original post, I really like the YouTube interface on the FireTV OS -- much more than the regular web interface I'd get on a PC screen. For one thing, on the OTT device, Youtube always comes up to your subscription pre-signed in, whereas on a PC, it seems to require a manual sign-in each time.  Also, on the Fire TV and similar, it's easy to subscribe to YouTube channels/feeds that I'm interested and then, once that's done, the Fire OS displays a single horizontal scroll line of all individual program tiles (showing the title, length, author) from my subscription feed starting with the most recent and then working back in time. Once I've watched a program, the interface marks that particular program tile with a "watched" marker to help keep track of things. To me, I prefer that to the web version where there's rows and rows of video tiles you have to scroll down thru.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've gone both ways at different points in time. Originally, I had no set-top/OTT devices and was doing everything from my laptop to my PC, which worked (and still works fine). But then later, I first got a Roku stick, then a Chromecast, then finally a couple of Amazon Fire TV devices. As I mentioned above, I've ended up using the Fire TV interface the most and as my primary viewing tool.

There are still a few things that I only can do via my laptop, and I still have that connection and use it periodically. But I've found over time that I like being able to leave my laptop free and unoccupied while using the Fire TV interface or something similar to view the TV. Why?  Well, that way, I can read email on my laptop or manage files or download and install programs and even restart my PC if needed -- all while having my TV broadcast uninterrupted, something I couldn't do back when I was relying for the laptop PC as my sole internet-connected TV interface. It's kind of the difference between having 1 screen vs. 2 screens available to you.

Likewise, I like having the easy to use remote control and remote control interface with devices like the Fire TV and similar, where I can lean back/sit back in a chair or bed and control and see everything on the TV easily -- on/off, volume, channels, FF-RWD, etc. In the past, when I was using the laptop PC, didn't really have any remote control solution that worked in the same way, and it was pretty hard to see the small Windows controls on my TV from 8-10 feet away, even when I did noodle around with Bluetooth or USB wifi remote controllers. And if I wanted to change to a different program source, it meant having to get up, go sit down at the laptop, and either click a bookmark or type in a web address for the different place I wanted to go, or if using Kodi on the PC for example, navigate with the mouse to the desired place, and then go back to where I was sitting.

Also, FWIW re the OP's original post, I really like the YouTube interface on the FireTV OS -- much more than the regular web interface I'd get on a PC screen. For one thing, on the OTT device, Youtube always comes up to your subscription pre-signed in, whereas on a PC, it seems to require a manual sign-in each time.  Also, on the Fire TV and similar, it's easy to subscribe to YouTube channels/feeds that I'm interested and then, once that's done, the Fire OS displays a single horizontal scroll line of all individual program tiles (showing the title, length, author) from my subscription feed starting with the most recent and then working back in time. Once I've watched a program, the interface marks that particular program tile with a "watched" marker to help keep track of things. To me, I prefer that to the web version where there's rows and rows of video tiles you have to scroll down thru.

With the Fire device, how many clicks is it to wake up the device and play a pre-selected youtube stream? And how many to stop it and put the box to sleep.

Ideally I want to press a button to wake up the box, then another to resume the live stream. Then one or two clicks to put the box back to sleep/stop the video playing so that it's not constantly using bandwidth.

On my new Android box the above takes a million clicks and is a nightmare. 

28 minutes ago, taotoo said:

With the Fire device, how many clicks is it to wake up the device and play a pre-selected youtube stream? And how many to stop it and put the box to sleep.

Ideally I want to press a button to wake up the box, then another to resume the live stream. Then one or two clicks to put the box back to sleep/stop the video playing so that it's not constantly using bandwidth.

On my new Android box the above takes a million clicks and is a nightmare. 

Lets see:

Turn on the TV with 1 button press of the TV power remote.

If it's already set to the device HDMI input, then the Fire TV HOME screen either automatically comes up or any press of the Fire TV remote wakes it up to the HOME screen.

At the end, you don't need to put anything to sleep. Just press one button to come back to the HOME screen away from whatever you've been watching. And then turn off your TV. (You could press the STOP button to stop whatever you're viewing and then go HOME. But just pressing HOME directly accomplishes the same thing.)  There's no elaborate or involved start-up/boot-up or shut-down routines, no credentials, no logging in -- once you're initially set up.

In terms of playing a specific video, it depends on whether it's a specific video from Amazon's content or whether it's a video in one of the various apps like YouTube that you can play thru the device.

--If it's an Amazon video, assuming you had been watching it earlier, there will be a tile for that individual video/movie/episode in the top row of your home screen menu under Recents. A couple of  right clicks sideways to get to that icon, and then a click to begin playing it.

--If it's a video within YouTube or some other app, again, a couple clicks right on your Recents menu to get to the correct app, one click to launch it, and then navigating to that particular video. How that goes depends entirely on how that particular app is structured and how many and what kinds of menu layers are involved.

For me, if I've subscribed to content in a YouTube channel, it's a couple of right clicks to get to the YouTube tile in my Recents menu, one click to launch YouTube, and then I believe YouTube also has a Recents menu up top showing the recent videos you've viewed or started viewing. In the alternative, once launched, it's just a couple clicks to the "Subscriptions" category, a couple more to choose the Channel you want, and then go from there.

PS - I don't know of any way in the Fire TV OS to, as you put it, "play a pre-selected YouTube stream." Rather, you just open the app and then navigate to whatever content you want.

This Chomecast stick, so your smart phone/tablet (no matter OP system) is the user interface? Sound pretty good to me, using the phone/tablet as a remote and the content is the same as on the TV.

I have an Android box that been collecting dust basically since I bought it, as with the poster before me, endless clicking around on the not so user friendly remote. I took it out a couple of times and tried it out again, but no don't liked the user experience at all.

So if my assumption is correct, is the phone/chomecast stick inter connected via blue tooth or wi-fi? 

6 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

This Chomecast stick, so your smart phone/tablet (no matter OP system) is the user interface? Sound pretty good to me, using the phone/tablet as a remote and the content is the same as on the TV.

I have an Android box that been collecting dust basically since I bought it, as with the poster before me, endless clicking around on the not so user friendly remote. I took it out a couple of times and tried it out again, but no don't liked the user experience at all.

So if my assumption is correct, is the phone/chomecast stick inter connected via blue tooth or wi-fi? 

Re Chromecast, yes, the web browser or phone or tablet serve as your interface. You use those to go to the content you want, and then click the CAST button to send the content to your Chromecast connected TV. Once you hit CAST, AFAIK, the content stops playing on your phone/tablet/PC and you're then free to do whatever you want with those devices without interrupting the ongoing casting.

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - I don't know of any way in the Fire TV OS to, as you put it, "play a pre-selected YouTube stream." Rather, you just open the app and then navigate to whatever content you want.

Thanks - that doesn't sound too bad.

With my Android box, if I'm using the YouTube app (and various other apps) I can put it to sleep, and when I wake it up again the stream I was last watching will still be on the screen. So that's pretty good. The issues are that A. I can't simply use buttons to restart the stream (at least I don't think I can), so I have to use the silly mouse pointer (maybe an air mouse would help), and B. I get random behaviour when restarting, e.g. the app crashes.

Will pick up a Fire device if I see one, as it looks like it's a more polished product.