Transfers to Bangkok Bank NYC Branch

Does anyone know of a list of US banks that consider the NYC branch of Bangkok Bank as a local US Bank? i.e. no transfer fee is charged for transfers from the US bank to Bangkok Bank in NYC? I'm currently using Webster Bank in US. I've asked them but they can't say until you try to set it up in the transfers section in their online banking software. To do that you need an account number from the bank you're trying to set up - which I don't have yet. Just trying to get things buttoned up here before going to Thailand.

Thanks,

Mike

There is nothing special about an EFTS to Bangkok Bank's New York Branch from any US Bank that does electronic funds transfers to any other US Bank

All that is needed is Bangkok Banks US Routing Number ( 026008691 ) followed by your Thai Bangkok Bank account number 

So until you have a Bangkok Bank account set up here in Thailand you cannot transfer using the "free" EFTS system

The only limitation you will have when you set it up is that you will only be able to transfer TO the Bangkok Bank account, NOT FROM.  But you should be given that option when setting it up with your US Bank.  In many cases if you are able to set it up for transfer into only , they will not require a verification amount

Full instructions on how to set it up can be found at the Bangkok Bank website here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Whether "your" bank charges an ACH transfers is purely up to "your" bank.  The more fee-evil ones do charge a fee...smaller banks or credit unions may charge an ACH transfer fee; but the majority probably do not based on all the banks/credit unions I been with over the years.  The primary U.S. banks I currently use do not charge any ACH transfer few.  

Don't try to overthink ACH transfers to the Bangkok Bank NY using their ABA/ACH routing number as somehow an international transfer; it's considered a U.S. domestic transfer.  If "your" bank does charge an ACH transfer, say like how Bank of America (a fee evil bank) charges a $3 fee for a 3 day transfer,  then they will charge that fee whether you send it to Bangkok Bank NY, XYZ Bank in Texas, XYZ Bank in Texas, etc.  

And unless you have a Bangkok Bank account setup "in-Thailand" you could not set up a transfer link using any U.S. bank as you need both a routing number (i..e, the Bangkok Bank NY routing number) and your "in-Thailand" Bangkok Bank account number to setup/accomplish the transfer as described in weblink in LSM's post above.

Edited by Pib

Pretty much all U.S. banks will accept Bangkok Bank New York for DOMESTIC ACH transfer. But there is something really weird about it. It's one way only. U.S. to Thailand, and NEVER back.  Don't even try to send it back ... if you can even get that started it might be a red flag.

If trying to "pull" money from your Bangkok Bank bank account via ACH transfer and assuming you have the transfer link setup for "to and from," Bangkok Bank will reject any attempt to pull funds.  When that rejection arrives back at your U.S. bank , the U.S. bank may suspend the link (flag it) on your account because they may think a fraudulent transaction has been attempted.  As Jingthing said and like in the Bangkok Bank instructions "do not" attempt a funds "pull"....only transfer to...not out.   

Remember, Thailand is the Land of Smiles for incoming money; but the Land of Frowns for outgoing money....they keep tight controls on/have tight regulations on outflows.

You sometimes have to reinforce to your US Bank that the Bangkok Bank routing number you give them is a US routing number.  The fact that is says Bangkok Bank sometimes confuses the data entry folks and the Bangkok automatically triggers the response, we don't transfer internationally 

Even had to remind USAA that it was a domestic transfer when they pulled the "international" bank excuse by initially refusing to let me add Bangkok Bank as one of my authorized linked accounts