New trains from Bangkok to provinces begins next month

webfact

New trains from Bangkok to provinces begins next month

a1.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- New rolling stock on four routes out of Bangkok will begin service next month. The service to Chiang Mai and that to Ubon starts on 11th November.

While passengers for the services to Nong Khai and Hat Yai will have to wait until December 2nd, reports Thairath.

Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn has graciously named the new services. To Chiang Mai it will be called Utrawithee, to Ubon Isan Wattana, to Nong Khai Isan Mankha and to Hat Yai the name used will be Thaksinarat.

A total of 115 new bogeys will be used on the routes that will replace as well as supplement existing services.

New times are as follows:

BKK to CM     6.10pm - 7.15am

CM to BKK     6.00pm - 6.50am

BKK to Ubon  8.30pm - 6.35am

Ubon to BKK  7.00pm - 5.16am

BKK - NKhai   8.00pm - 6.45am

NKhai - BKK   7.10pm - 6.00am

BKK - HYai     2.45pm - 6.35pm

HYai - BKK     6.45pm -10.30am

Fares on the Chiang Mai route will be:

Second Class sleeper 791 baht (up bunk) 881 baht (down bunk)

First Class sleeper is 1,253 baht (up) 1,453 baht (down).

Further information is available on 1690 or by visiting WWW.RAILWAY.CO.TH

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-27

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doesn't beat the VIP 24 seat Bus service to Chiang Mai, with the 999 service. Clean, comfortable, similar price, can go in daytime (I prefer), includes free lunch, often spare seats, seat choice, can book online, not so much juddering and only a few stops, pleasant staff and most of all quicker - 9.0am start and 7.0pm arrive usually. Maybe not as safe as the train, esp downstairs, but I never had any problems in 11 years.

43 minutes ago, Card said:

Still doesn't beat the VIP 24 seat Bus service to Chiang Mai, with the 999 service. Clean, comfortable, similar price, can go in daytime (I prefer), includes free lunch, often spare seats, seat choice, can book online, not so much juddering and only a few stops, pleasant staff and most of all quicker - 9.0am start and 7.0pm arrive usually. Maybe not as safe as the train, esp downstairs, but I never had any problems in 11 years.

Feel free to exchange safety for imagined differences.

Just check what you mentioned as better for the bus, and you will find out the train might be a better choice.

Daytime trains coming up soon.

The trains, in your imagination, judders.

The bus glides along?

Really?

I do remember quite a few Judders, swings, heavy braking and accelerating.

Etc, etc, etc.......

Why not try it out, the train I mean, when it is running?

And bogeys?

They certainly mean carriages?

Bogies are the combination of wheels, axels, brakes, springs & all that carry the carriage.

Bogey?

As in bogeyman maybe?

Edited by hansnl

Where were they made , Singapore had to return their complete set of 36 new rail cars back to u guessed it China due to cracking and MTR HK had bad cracks form after being put into service and returned there's also..................................................:coffee1:

31 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Feel free to exchange safety for imagined differences.

Just check what you mentioned as better for the bus, and you will find out the train might be a better choice.

Daytime trains coming up soon.

The trains, in your imagination, judders.

The bus glides along?

Really?

I do remember quite a few Judders, swings, heavy braking and accelerating.

Etc, etc, etc.......

Why not try it out, the train I mean, when it is running?

And bogeys?

They certainly mean carriages?

Bogies are the combination of wheels, axels, brakes, springs & all that carry the carriage.

Bogey?

As in bogeyman maybe?

The differences are not imagined. I used to travel a lot by train until I discovered the 24 seater buses. Most of the points I mentioned as advantageous to me are still not bettered by the new trains for me. Safety on Thailand trains? You are imagining it.

Edited by Card

24 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Bogies  mean the wheels, general configuration there is a set of 4 wheels to a bogie .

Thank you. As an ex-railroader, I am very familiar with railroad trucks (U.S., Canada etc)  and bogies U.K.)

Are you also aware of this?  In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage. Thai reporters often refer to an entire passenger car,coach,carriage as a bogie. Today they used bogey.

Hence my original post. There can also be 6 wheels to a bogie/truck.;)

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Those seats look nice and hard for long journeys but a step up from the old wooden seats.

From memory I think even in 3rd class the seats were not wooden on the Pedang Besar run.

Can't help thinking the images shown in Khao Sod of second class sleepers look pretty much the same as the old style except that the plastic on the seats was blue.

Still.....nice and new which is something.

You all know what's meant be it bogey or bogie so why bother nit picking. As for bus vs train. Why would I waste a day sitting on the bus when I can go overnight and get a good rest. On the bus you're confined to your seat, the train you're free to move around. Both come with accident risk, far greater risk on the bus IMO.

2 minutes ago, JimG said:

Those seats look very uncomfortable.  No support at all.  I wonder when they make up the bunks.  I wonder how long a person must endure the uncomfortable seat.  Not very appealing to me.

Doesn't look very appealing at all from that pic does it. Straight up and down at a 90 degree angle. You'd be a wreck when u arrive.

Have used that VIP bus from BKK to CM & it was an absolute delight. 

2 hours ago, Card said:

You are right, not beaten until you wake up in ICU....

One question: Is there a train from Pattaya to Bkk's new train terminal?  With the new train is cargo allowed?... I would love to have my Honda Forza on train from Pattaya to Hun Hin to avoid road problems with restrictions on freeway with scooters.  

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Thank you. As an ex-railroader, I am very familiar with railroad trucks (U.S., Canada etc)  and bogies U.K.)

Are you also aware of this?  In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage. Thai reporters often refer to an entire passenger car,coach,carriage as a bogie. Today they used bogey.

Indeed, C&W ( Carriage and Wagon) department were often known as "Fungus the Bogiemen".

You may have to Google it if you didn't watch UK children's TV.....

Ah, but does the CM - BKK Bus have a restaurant car that converts to the party car with disco lights and music after 9pm!

Was one of the highlights of late teen US God daughters trip around Thailand in '13.

Hope to do it again soon after the mourning period lapses.

Does anyone know if the non air-con 2nd class sleeper trains from Chiang Mai are still running? 

As a railway enthusiast I really enjoy being next to the open window listening to the locomotive growl it's way up the gradients in the mountains . Must have been magnificent back in the days of steam!

:smile:

Edited by JAG

When they wake up and switch to standard guage track, I might try - otherwise too many derailments.  If those are plastic seats, probably to deter the bedbugs that used to ride the trains free.  I remember, not so long ago,  they had to take all the sleepers out of service because of the bugs. 

I have to agree that those seats look incredibly uncomfortable - and apparently you can't even stand up to exit your seat without a contortionist type move!

It also amazes me that the train trip from Bangkok to Chiangmai will still take more than 12 hours; this has not changed in the more than 40 years I have been here - to change the Prime Movers should surely be more of a priority?

That said, I loved the slow trains with their frequent stops, so you could buy "Kai Yang" etc. etc. at the station platform!

Patrick

11 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

I have to agree that those seats look incredibly uncomfortable - and apparently you can't even stand up to exit your seat without a contortionist type move!

It also amazes me that the train trip from Bangkok to Chiangmai will still take more than 12 hours; this has not changed in the more than 40 years I have been here - to change the Prime Movers should surely be more of a priority?

That said, I loved the slow trains with their frequent stops, so you could buy "Kai Yang" etc. etc. at the station platform!

Patrick

I think the  photos were taken when the upper berths are folded down to make a bed, and the lower berths are yet to be slid out. They then hook on curtains and make up the berths with sheet, pillow and blanket. The bottom  cushions on the seats slide forward to adjust the rake of the backs.

True they don't go very fast - but if it's a sleeper that doesn't really matter. Metre gauge,  lots of curves and steep gradients keeps the speed down. They have relaid the track, and the ride is quite good now.

Still my preferred way to travel from up north to Bangkok.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

You will only get 3 axles (6 wheels) on a locomotive bogie when they have 3 traction motors,carriages and rail-cars (self propelled passenger carriages) will only have the 2 axle (4 wheels) setup. Also they are called Points, Triangles and Wagons, we had a yank loco driver come work for us and was calling back distances using cars, had to take a stick and prod him to call them wagons, that the points were correctly set and they were heading into the triangle to turn the loco. (Cars, switched and Y's)

34 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

Patrick

They might copy the airlines pricing practice and have add-on packages where you can pay extra for seat cushions and Kai Yang food boxes. 

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Those seats look nice and hard for long journeys but a step up from the old wooden seats.

Quit complaining the seats were made in China. Through progress the Chinese posteriors are getting more plump. Its the governments way of saying "Just don't get to comfortable" Just another subtle reminder that your here to work not dilly dally. 

It just warms the cockles of my heart to see that Bangkok is thinking about us. I hope its as nice as the model train that was under the Christmas tree when I was 12 years old. I must get out and travel more. Darn TV and my computer they just take up to much of my time. I must make a New Years resolution to travel more but then I would be truly missed.