Nigerian activist held in solitary in Japan, prompting calls for her release

webfact

Nigerian activist held in solitary in Japan, prompting calls for her release

By Minami Funakoshi and Ami Miyazaki | TOKYO

TOKYO: -- A prominent Nigerian asylum seeker and activist is being held in solitary at a Tokyo detention center, a case that has highlighted a growing crackdown on foreigners living in Japan without visas and prompted demands for her release.

Elizabeth Aruoriwo Obueza was detained two weeks ago after authorities turned down an appeal against her asylum rejection, Obueza and her lawyer told Reuters.

Obueza, 48, campaigns for asylum seekers and the 4,700 people on "provisional release" from immigration detention - a status that lets foreigners out from detention but bars them from working and traveling freely.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-detention-activist-idUSKCN12R00B

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-10-27

How nice. Somehow got to Japan, of all countries, to claim asylum. Definitely the next country with a common border to Nigeria, but those ladies are quite brazen when calling out the "A" word.

Didn't matter, couldn't chuck her out because she had either blown it badly in her home country, or the latter is simply a rogue state. Then starts political campaigning and protesting.

Same in Germany; sit-ins and marches because it's so unfair the Syrians get asylum when the Afghans think it's just as dangerous in their hellhole of a Muslim country, German speaking Roma from down-south will bolster the choir calling borders illegal and to stop deportation. Austria is planning to forbid foreigners to protest in Austria, partly because of the Turks and Kurds.

Well, Japan has some 4.7k people about... that still sounds so cute. Little tip: if you don't start the asylum thingy, nobody will be coming; have a look at Hungary.

Forgive my ignorance on matters geographical, but are there not a few "safe" countries on the way to Japan this Nigerian could have sought refuge in? Rhetorical question, I can name about 2 dozen of them. Nigeria itself is thought of as one of Africas best efforts at democracy. Change must come from within, fight against oppression, unite against a common enemy, form a representative government to improve the lives of all Nigerians? Ring any bells? Nah sod it i'll run off to Japan and look for handouts. 

24 minutes ago, jaidam said:

Forgive my ignorance on matters geographical, but are there not a few "safe" countries on the way to Japan this Nigerian could have sought refuge in? Rhetorical question, I can name about 2 dozen of them. Nigeria itself is thought of as one of Africas best efforts at democracy. Change must come from within, fight against oppression, unite against a common enemy, form a representative government to improve the lives of all Nigerians? Ring any bells? Nah sod it i'll run off to Japan and look for handouts. 

Will you sprout the same nonsense when you realise the person in the OP is a Christian? Unfortunately for you this OP is not an opportunity to yet again vilify a Muslim. In addition you clearly have zero understanding of the legal definition of a safe country and the status of asylum seekers in international law.

Edited by simple1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Will you sprout the same nonsense when you realise the person in the OP is a Christian. Unfortunately for you this OP isnot an opportunity to yet again vilify a Muslim. In addition you clearly have zero understanding of the legal definition of a safe country and the status of asylum seekers in international law.

Kindly point out in my post where i vilified a muslim? Your false accusations are simply hateful posting, even though it is no doubt uber-PC is hateful all the same. Stalking is stalking my friend. Can we move past the flaming and discus the topic again pls?

I have sympathy for the plight of Christians, although anybody believing in the bible is a total fool. The world is becoming very hostile to Christians especially in their traditional homelands where Christian symbols are being banned due to the very real threat of violence against someone identifying as a Christian. Still, Nigeria does not, and never will share a common border with Japan.

Just now, jaidam said:

Kindly point out in my post where i vilified a muslim? snip>

LOL as always your intent is to vilify Muslims, just so happens you mistakenly made the assumption the person in the OP was a Muslim.