Christmas and New Year in Thailand

lee b

Hi All,

I am not in the country at the moment, but want to return for Christmas and New Year. Does anyone know how it will be ?

We were arranging for people to come from outside Thailand to enjoy together, but due to the sad passing of HRH the King will this year to a quiet one behind closed doors?

I know that its still a little early but would really appreciate and comments on this.

I want to be respectful due to what happened but at the same time have fun. Is it a good idea to give Thailand a miss this year, or will it be fine?

Thanks all....

it definitely will be a quiet one, it has already been reported that no big or public countdown events will take place - as for XMas, it is not really a Thai festival as we know, though Thais still like the decoration without understanding much of what XMas actually means. I am sure this decoration everywhere in shopping malls for example will be toned down a lot as well, or completely missing this year

Wifey still isn't sure if we are putting up our usual lights and having the regular village open-house mega-party on Christmas night.

We're waiting until after the official 30 day mourning and then she'll talk to Puyaibaan, what he says goes :)

I would think that the big fireworks displays that are usual will be cancelled.  There may be a few private ones but nothing like usual.  Hotels will still have their parties as it makes them money but again they may be a little more low key.

If I was organizing a New Years I would do it outside Thailand for this year.

thailand is not a place to come to celebrate christmas, it is not a holiday here and 'celebrations' are limited to the commercial side with shopping malls being decorated and playing christmas carols (yawn), hotels, restaurants etc. frequented by foreigners may be decorated. there is very little understanding of christmas not surprising for an inward looking Buddhist country.

new year is a celebration but be prepared for crowds, little crowd control, pointless security measures, bombs in litter bins and at bus stops and a long walk home as the roads are gridlocked. i stay at home.

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

thailand is not a place to come to celebrate christmas, it is not a holiday here and 'celebrations' are limited to the commercial side with shopping malls being decorated and playing christmas carols (yawn), hotels, restaurants etc. frequented by foreigners may be decorated. there is very little understanding of christmas not surprising for an inward looking Buddhist country.

new year is a celebration but be prepared for crowds, little crowd control, pointless security measures, bombs in litter bins and at bus stops and a long walk home as the roads are gridlocked. i stay at home.

You should visit Our Church, lots of Christmas Spirit...also,

I love BKK and the Decorated Hotels and Malls at Christmas!!

If there will indeed be restraint, then I predict an awesome holiday season.

Many visitors to Thailand don't need, nor want the cheesey loud noise and the annoying Christmas music blaring. They want a relaxing holiday.

Nothing will stop people from hosting family events or even a New Year's party. They will happen. What will hopefully be curtailed are the pathetic outdoor noise fests which are just an excuse for the same jerks to get drunk, pick fights  and puke everywhere. Honestly, I won't  miss the  lame New Year's countdown noise at Market Village in Hua Hin that lasts for a week.  If anything, this is the year to visit Thailand if one is looking for a more  peaceful than usual experience. Now is the time to enjoy the sights and sounds of the country.

it definitely will be a quiet one, it has already been reported that no big or public countdown events will take place - as for XMas, it is not really a Thai festival as we know, though Thais still like the decoration without understanding much of what XMas actually means. I am sure this decoration everywhere in shopping malls for example will be toned down a lot as well, or completely missing this year

What a wonderful outlook to this years Christmas & New Year celebrations . The kids will be overjoyed the birds will be so harmonious. Santa will be unemployed.

Can't wait !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a wonderful outlook to this years Christmas & New Year celebrations . The kids will be overjoyed the birds will be so harmonious. Santa will be unemployed.

Can't wait !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christmas has always been my favorite time in Pattaya.  If only for the decorations and music.  It's my favorite holiday.  I also like to see the girls running around with Santa hats on.  It's cute.

Made the mistake with my at the time GF dragging me down to Walking Street for count down.  Do not go there.  It was shoulder to shoulder people and could have easily become a disaster.

The best New Years have been spent at parties at roof top bars centrally located on beach road.  Beach road is also a nightmare and taxis get into serious price gouging.  Better to stay inside.

Last year had a small party at my room, 21st floor, with a perfect view down to the fire works.  It was the best New Year so far.

1 hour ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

Loy Krathong, my favorite Thai holiday is also X-ed off he holiday calendar this year.  Thailand is the worst place to spend Christmas unless you enjoy sweating your ass off.

Yes. This year it should be toned down. I used to have Christmas dinner after dark in Thailand, as nightime was more festive. Our Thai friends loved the turkey and big gathering of people. Happy days.

As a Buddhist country most Thais take Xmas aš just another day, go to work etc. Its the visitors, farangs, that make the best they can out of it, aš do some large hotels. The lattter will calm things, such as music etc, down, as per the government request, over the mourning period

Aš for New Year, just read that fireworks have been cancelled, with only candles to be displayed in honor of the late King.

Sonkran is also to be played down for the same reason.

21 hours ago, joeyg said:

Christmas has always been my favorite time in Pattaya.  If only for the decorations and music.  It's my favorite holiday.  I also like to see the girls running around with Santa hats on.  It's cute.

Made the mistake with my at the time GF dragging me down to Walking Street for count down.  Do not go there.  It was shoulder to shoulder people and could have easily become a disaster.

The best New Years have been spent at parties at roof top bars centrally located on beach road.  Beach road is also a nightmare and taxis get into serious price gouging.  Better to stay inside.

Last year had a small party at my room, 21st floor, with a perfect view down to the fire works.  It was the best New Year so far.

In case no one told you, it has been reported that New Years Eve fireworks on the beach have been cancelled. Wall to wall people it will not be.

On 10/28/2016 at 9:21 AM, Crossy said:

Wifey still isn't sure if we are putting up our usual lights and having the regular village open-house mega-party on Christmas night.

We're waiting until after the official 30 day mourning and then she'll talk to Puyaibaan, what he says goes :)

lol...obviously ''wifey'' wears the pants..  lol

22 hours ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

Loy Krathong, my favorite Thai holiday is also X-ed off he holiday calendar this year.  Thailand is the worst place to spend Christmas unless you enjoy sweating your ass off.

I always liked loy krathong.  I really loved Christmas in Thailand, having spent most of them in Pattaya or Phuket.  The warm weather was great since I often came from colder parts of the USA.  I enjoyed the quiet christmas there. Swimming in some warm water when it is 0 back home is fine with me.  The weather is pretty pleasant in Thailand that time of year. One year I went to Sukhotahi the week before christmas and it was quite cold at night.